General Discussion Triathlon Talk » frameset, help me decide Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-19 7:57 AM

Subject: frameset, help me decide
After countless sprints, olys and HIMs, I did my first IM a few weeks ago at LP. All races have been on my roadie, and I have finally decided to get a tri bike. I've been accumulating components and powermeter. Last major things on the list are frameset and wheels. Yesterday I did a Retul fit and have my fit numbers.

The fitter has a new cr.301 Guru frameset that will fit me and he's offered me a very attractive discount. For a few hundred dollars more, I can go with my original plan which was to find an older Cervelo P3 or P2 that will fit my components and powermeter as well as my Retul fit numbers.

I know very little about Guru other than light coverage that I can find through Googling.

So what would you pick (cr.301 for less, P2 for a few hundred more, or P3 for ~$600 more than the cr.301) and why?

2015-08-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: strawdog18

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: frameset, help me decide

The Guru won't work with your PM and components as well?

I have no real advice but I do love my P3.  

2015-08-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Sorry, I wasn't clear in the post. The Guru will fit the components and the powermeter.
2015-08-19 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
depends... if they'll all get you in an aero position they'll all be pretty good.

If you want the most aerodynamic of them, it's one of the cervelo's. The stack/reach on P2's and P3's is different in larger sizes if that's something you haven't looked at.
2015-08-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

I hope I'm not hijacking your post, but how did you know what bike(s) "fit" you after your retul fit? I'm planning on getting one done in the next few weeks but I'm curious about the end result. Am I going to be given a page with a whole bunch of numbers I'm likely to not understand or will my fitter tell me a few bikes that work for me, mostly ones I'm expecting they'll be selling.
2015-08-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Fitter gave me my printout with all of the numbers. Then he sat down with me to start googling bikes I was interested in to see if my numbers were close enough to each bike's geometry (in their respective sizes and years/editions since geometries sometimes change year-to-year).

Key ones to pay attention to for selection are frame stack and reach, which will help you filter out edge-case scenarios (ie, bikes with too little wiggle room for future adjustments). Now, I'm seeing what's out there, in what sizes, to see if I can find the frame I want, in the right size, at the right price.

I hope that is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions about my experience. This was my second Retul fitting. First one was three years ago for my road bike.

2015-08-19 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

For kicks, take a look at this page and see if you have other options to look for.

2015-08-19 1:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by strawdog18

Fitter gave me my printout with all of the numbers. Then he sat down with me to start googling bikes I was interested in to see if my numbers were close enough to each bike's geometry (in their respective sizes and years/editions since geometries sometimes change year-to-year).

Key ones to pay attention to for selection are frame stack and reach, which will help you filter out edge-case scenarios (ie, bikes with too little wiggle room for future adjustments). Now, I'm seeing what's out there, in what sizes, to see if I can find the frame I want, in the right size, at the right price.

I hope that is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions about my experience. This was my second Retul fitting. First one was three years ago for my road bike.

Thank you! Did the fitting do anything with regards to pedals / cleats or does it just look at frames?
2015-08-19 3:03 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Here's a demo report on the Retul site that will let you know what they go over. Hope that helps.

https://www.retul.com/content/pdf/Retul%20Sample%20Report%20Version%...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » frameset, help me decide Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me decide!

Started by retiretotri
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2007-07-12 3:50 PM BHannahs

Dear BT'er, help me decide

Started by Denise2003
Views: 994 Posts: 16

2006-04-06 11:59 PM vortmax

Run testing....help me decide when

Started by KathyG
Views: 828 Posts: 5

2006-02-05 12:16 AM CptnJackSparrow

Help deciding to run HM or not (long)

Started by camy
Views: 566 Posts: 3

2005-11-04 11:12 AM the bear

Help Me Decide Which Race

Started by jeng
Views: 1025 Posts: 15

2005-06-29 1:55 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2014
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What’s New? Nutrition Update from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics

date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.