General Discussion Race Reports! » MiTitanium Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MiTitanium Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up ahead of alarm clocks after a decent sleep at hotel. Watched some TV packed up my gear, checked out of hotel and made way to parking area for shuttle to race venue.
Event warmup:

Arrived early, setup transition. Chatted up with some fellow athletes. Founds some friends from the gym wished them good luck. Hit the porta potty and waited for the start.
Swim
  • 38m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, 30 seconds off my PR. Swim start was a mess had to pull up several times due to amount of people. Once everyone spread out it was much better.
What would you do differently?:

Either get a better jump to the front or make my way to the side.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Just took my time, wasn't rushing. Throw goggles and ear plugs into bag, removed wet suit. Put on cycling jersey over compression shirt for the back pockets. Socks shoes, head band, glasses, helmet and off I went.

Get a new tri top.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Took one bottle with me and tried to use fluids from the course. 30min into ride took in half bar, difficult to swallow. Need to take in more liquid(water) before hand. 30min later finished bar. Picked up 2 more Gatorade bottles on the course. Skipped a couple stations, which I should have picked up water and drank at least a little more.

See comments. Also was using this as a training day for upcoming IMLOU but I'll need to pull back a little for a full. At points was pushing to hard because I could feel my lower back getting tight from the efforts.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Nothing special here.

Need to shorten shoe laces, so I don't have to spend the time tucking in the extra laces.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

About 1 mile into the run it started to rain. Felt really good, when I started to approach the second aid station at about 2.6 miles everyone was saying to take shelter the organizers had suspended the race due to storm (lightning). One of the house's at the aid station offered their garage for us to take cover. I choose to wait it out under the medical tent. Got some additional drinks, an orange slice in while waiting. After the first 30min delay we got word they extended it another 15min, then 30 second before they were going to lift the suspension more lightning. Then they called the race off. I chose to run the 2.6 miles back in vs wait for shuttles to pick up runners.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Picked up my gear, other than bike. Headed over to wait in line for the shuttle to our vehicles. Got super soaked waiting. Picked up bike, changed into dry clothes in the full changing tent. Got soaked on way back to car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Almost PR'd swim, and did PR bike, didn't get a chance on the run, would have been nice to see if that was going to happen or not.

Event comments:

Very much enjoyed the race, not to hilly but just right. Great swim venue, water very clean. Can't fault the race organizers for keeping everyone safe. Even with all that was going on we were communicated to on the course timely.

Last updated: 2015-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/
Overall: 80/
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out over and back triangle, on a very nice lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:06 | 56 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/
Overall: 139/
Didn't use watch other than for the time.
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-24 7:58 AM

User image

Lake Orion
Subject: MiTitanium Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MiTitanium Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MiTitanium - Half Iron Course

Started by jjzeilstra
Views: 745 Posts: 1

2013-09-10 7:38 AM jjzeilstra

MiTitanium - Half Iron Course

Started by therevev
Views: 957 Posts: 1

2013-09-09 2:18 PM therevev

Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by manfarr1974
Views: 1552 Posts: 1

2011-06-07 7:00 AM manfarr1974

Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by ironwannabe
Views: 1929 Posts: 2

2011-06-09 6:06 AM JorgeM

Las Vegas Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by HighDesertRunner
Views: 1486 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 8:52 PM HighDesertRunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
To help you extract the most from my account, I will highlight the specific take-aways that will not only improve your race time, but reduce unecessary bloodshed.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.