General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Triathlon this Sunday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-24 1:04 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Chicago Triathlon this Sunday
Happy Monday everyone!

Is anyone planning to come to Chicago Tri on August 30th?

How many of you have completed it in the past?
Any advice for first-timers?
Your favorite memory?

Mary

2015-08-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Chicago Triathlon this Sunday

I completed the Olympic tri in 2012. It was a pretty fun race, primarily because I live in Lakeview, so it was cool to race where I train.
This is a huge race. The biggest triathlon in the world. As a result, you don't find your typical athlete. Instead you find the entire spectrum of entrant, including a lot of people who thought it would be a good idea to sign up 10 months ago, then didn't do the necessary training.

Words of wisdom from my experience:
- I'm not sure where you live, but if you're thinking about taking the red line downtown, with your bike, DON'T. Or at least only take it as far as Belmont or Fullerton.
I tried, along with dozens of other triathletes. Once you get to Division, the train becomes PACKED with the type of undesirables who you'd expect to see taking the south-bound red line, home from the bars, on Division, at 4:30am.
I ultimately alighted at Grand, because a fight broke out on the train car behind me, and police came. My advice would be to just ride. It'll add a couple miles to your legs, but consider it a gentle warm up.

- The swim is a "treading water" start, and there's no way to acclimate to the lake before your wave begins.
I was shocked by how ill-prepared a lot of athletes were. They were grabbing at anything and anyone they could, because of panic.
I recommend, depending on your confidence, positioning away from the wall, since I saw a lot of people frantically darting for the wall/chains once they realized they were in trouble.

- The bike is unlike any other race I've participated in, in so much that you pass on the right.
With that said, most riders show no regard, or blissful ignorance of the rules, and just cycle wherever they feel. Be aware. Always.
Another word of caution, especially when you're passing, is that the expansion cracks between the lanes on LSD are substantial enough to trap your wheel if you're not careful. I witnessed one girl almost fall into traffic (2 lanes are closed, in each direction, 2 lanes are open to regular traffic) because he front wheel got caught and she fell over her handlebars.

Overall, this is probably everything you'd expect to find at a race of this magnitude, with over 8k athletes covering such a short distance.
If you don't live in the city, I'm sure you'll enjoy swimming in Monroe Harbor, and the city views on the bike course.
So long as you're prepared, it's a fun, well run, race.

Edited by Brit Abroad 2015-08-25 1:04 PM
2015-08-25 1:37 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Veteran
Well said and it's funny how I did this race back in 2010 (or was it 2009?) and the same principles that you have outlined above hold true. I second the message that you need to be very aware of the people around you on the bike. There is a lot of passing going on and if you are ill prepared it could prove to be trouble.

When you rack your bike be sure you have something to identify it on the way back from the swim (and please.....no tying of balloons to the frame/bike rack). I simply used a bright colored goofy hat and put it on my seat. Whatever you do BE SURE you know where your bike/transition stuff is located. I know this sounds trite, but when you see how many participants there are you well understand. Good luck!

It's a great race, but just a one and done for me. Way too many people and the logistics of getting there are awful.
2015-08-29 8:28 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Pretty much everything brit and furnace said. I've seen the race many years as a spectator, but only raced it once.

I did it last year and thought it was a fun race, but I probably won't do it again. There are a lot of newbies, so the swim can be chaotic. I've seen people swim in every direction. There are always a few that swim perpendicular to the course.
Transition was a nightmare. It rained the night before when I did it and transition was a muddy mess. I was carrying by bike out of transition. Mud was caked in my cleats and bike for weeks. It was like a cyclocross race. I hate the first come first serve racking. My advice would be to get there early (bring a flashlight) or rack the night before. A lot of people just hog up way too much space, which forced people to move other people's stuff. I saw a lot of helmets, sunglasses, etc being knocked off bikes. Definitely have some way of finding your bike, I spent way too much time in transition looking for my stuff. With all my other tri's, I just had to remember my number and could easily find my bike since they were all in order.
The best part is riding on LSD, pretty cool that it is closed off for the race. It is strange passing on the right.
The run is nice with a beautiful view of the lake and city and it was relatively flat. I do wish they police the course better. There were a handful of Sunday bike riders on the the course without a care for the race, which I thought was dangerous since the course is pretty narrow. I had to do some bobbing and weaving, slowing down and speeding up, running on the grass or on the other side of the course, etc. Great crowd support as you finish the run.
Post-race food and beer was great.

Overall great race, great experience, glad to have done it, but I am one and done. Have fun!
2015-08-31 2:15 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

I completed the Olympic tri in 2012. It was a pretty fun race, primarily because I live in Lakeview, so it was cool to race where I train.
This is a huge race. The biggest triathlon in the world. As a result, you don't find your typical athlete. Instead you find the entire spectrum of entrant, including a lot of people who thought it would be a good idea to sign up 10 months ago, then didn't do the necessary training.

Words of wisdom from my experience:
- I'm not sure where you live, but if you're thinking about taking the red line downtown, with your bike, DON'T. Or at least only take it as far as Belmont or Fullerton.
I tried, along with dozens of other triathletes. Once you get to Division, the train becomes PACKED with the type of undesirables who you'd expect to see taking the south-bound red line, home from the bars, on Division, at 4:30am.
I ultimately alighted at Grand, because a fight broke out on the train car behind me, and police came. My advice would be to just ride. It'll add a couple miles to your legs, but consider it a gentle warm up.

- The swim is a "treading water" start, and there's no way to acclimate to the lake before your wave begins.
I was shocked by how ill-prepared a lot of athletes were. They were grabbing at anything and anyone they could, because of panic.
I recommend, depending on your confidence, positioning away from the wall, since I saw a lot of people frantically darting for the wall/chains once they realized they were in trouble.

- The bike is unlike any other race I've participated in, in so much that you pass on the right.
With that said, most riders show no regard, or blissful ignorance of the rules, and just cycle wherever they feel. Be aware. Always.
Another word of caution, especially when you're passing, is that the expansion cracks between the lanes on LSD are substantial enough to trap your wheel if you're not careful. I witnessed one girl almost fall into traffic (2 lanes are closed, in each direction, 2 lanes are open to regular traffic) because he front wheel got caught and she fell over her handlebars.

Overall, this is probably everything you'd expect to find at a race of this magnitude, with over 8k athletes covering such a short distance.
If you don't live in the city, I'm sure you'll enjoy swimming in Monroe Harbor, and the city views on the bike course.
So long as you're prepared, it's a fun, well run, race.

Thanks so much!
I took advantage of Saturday bike racking and left my bike there for the night. I also took your advice to stay away from the wall - you're right, people grabbed it once they got into the water.
With this huge number of participants, the event was very well organized and I felt safe and comfortable all the way. It was a great experience!
Mary
2015-08-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Well said and it's funny how I did this race back in 2010 (or was it 2009?) and the same principles that you have outlined above hold true. I second the message that you need to be very aware of the people around you on the bike. There is a lot of passing going on and if you are ill prepared it could prove to be trouble.

When you rack your bike be sure you have something to identify it on the way back from the swim (and please.....no tying of balloons to the frame/bike rack). I simply used a bright colored goofy hat and put it on my seat. Whatever you do BE SURE you know where your bike/transition stuff is located. I know this sounds trite, but when you see how many participants there are you well understand. Good luck!

It's a great race, but just a one and done for me. Way too many people and the logistics of getting there are awful.

Thankfully, bikers this year were more self-aware and not going too crazy. The slower ones stayed to the left, which made it more smooth to pass them.
There were so many bikes at the transition that even bright color towel did not help haha But I managed
I also don't like huge events, but this one turned out to be really cool
Thank you for your comments!
Mary

2015-08-31 2:21 PM
in reply to: hubcaps

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by hubcaps

Pretty much everything brit and furnace said. I've seen the race many years as a spectator, but only raced it once.

I did it last year and thought it was a fun race, but I probably won't do it again. There are a lot of newbies, so the swim can be chaotic. I've seen people swim in every direction. There are always a few that swim perpendicular to the course.
Transition was a nightmare. It rained the night before when I did it and transition was a muddy mess. I was carrying by bike out of transition. Mud was caked in my cleats and bike for weeks. It was like a cyclocross race. I hate the first come first serve racking. My advice would be to get there early (bring a flashlight) or rack the night before. A lot of people just hog up way too much space, which forced people to move other people's stuff. I saw a lot of helmets, sunglasses, etc being knocked off bikes. Definitely have some way of finding your bike, I spent way too much time in transition looking for my stuff. With all my other tri's, I just had to remember my number and could easily find my bike since they were all in order.
The best part is riding on LSD, pretty cool that it is closed off for the race. It is strange passing on the right.
The run is nice with a beautiful view of the lake and city and it was relatively flat. I do wish they police the course better. There were a handful of Sunday bike riders on the the course without a care for the race, which I thought was dangerous since the course is pretty narrow. I had to do some bobbing and weaving, slowing down and speeding up, running on the grass or on the other side of the course, etc. Great crowd support as you finish the run.

Overall great race, great experience, glad to have done it, but I am one and done. Have fun!

Thank you!
I did have plenty of fun
And I did experience a "whale man" swimming east-west back and forth...

What other tri's do you do in the area, that you could recommend?
Mary
2015-08-31 4:46 PM

Originally posted by marysia83

Thank you!
I did have plenty of fun

Mary

I'm wondering if that whale man was me lol....I apologize - it was my first time doing the Oly and sighting was much more critical than I'd realized.
2015-08-31 8:30 PM

I really like tri's in wisconsin, especially around Lake Geneva. Both are olympic distance, sort of. There's the bigfoot triathlon, which has a 38k bike instead of 40k, and a trail run (which is tricky, but I love trails). Bigfoot is put on by running away multisport, the same people who do the hot chocolate and other road races around chicagoland. The other one, which is in 2 weeks is TriRock, standard olympic distance and fairly flat. Both are just very well organized. Lake geneva water is so clean, clear and smooth. They are both good for new and experience triathletes.
There aren't many options in Chicagoland, especially with standard distances.
2015-08-31 9:17 PM
in reply to: motri88

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by motri88

Originally posted by marysia83

Thank you!
I did have plenty of fun

Mary

I'm wondering if that whale man was me lol....I apologize - it was my first time doing the Oly and sighting was much more critical than I'd realized.

You or not you - I did not want to be offensive by any means ))) It was actually great experience, because I felt like in one of those old-school Nintendo games when you had to move before something crosses your way
I hope you had fun! Great job on completing the Chicago Tri!

I have just created a facebook page for those who raced yesterday and want to race in the ITU Triathlon Championship, come join it:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/683896188413345/

Mary
2015-08-31 9:18 PM
in reply to: hubcaps

User image

Denver, Colorado

I really like tri's in wisconsin, especially around Lake Geneva. Both are olympic distance, sort of. There's the bigfoot triathlon, which has a 38k bike instead of 40k, and a trail run (which is tricky, but I love trails). Bigfoot is put on by running away multisport, the same people who do the hot chocolate and other road races around chicagoland. The other one, which is in 2 weeks is TriRock, standard olympic distance and fairly flat. Both are just very well organized. Lake geneva water is so clean, clear and smooth. They are both good for new and experience triathletes.
There aren't many options in Chicagoland, especially with standard distances.

This is really good to know! Thanks for sharing. I will add those to my 2016 agenda
Mary

2016-01-12 4:49 PM

When I first found out about this event my initial thought was that it looked like a load of fun but that it would be a from a logistical perspective. Sounds like I was right. I'd still like to do it someday, just to be involved in such a big event in such a great location. Just not next year.
2016-02-09 9:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I am signed up for the sprint length--it's my first. Looking forward to it!

edited: Oops, I see she was asking about last year's race.

Edited by nodell 2016-02-09 9:43 AM
2016-02-09 12:32 PM
in reply to: nodell

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by nodell

I am signed up for the sprint length--it's my first. Looking forward to it!

edited: Oops, I see she was asking about last year's race.

haha that's ok I signed up this year too. I had a great experience. This event is very well organized. Very, very well.
If it's your first time, I suggest participating in something small and local, just to get an idea. The Glenview Sprint in July is absolutely the best thing for the first time triathletes: well organized, beginner friendly, the scenery is beautiful, just one great race to enjoy. And good preparation for the big race in Chicago. Just a thought

Hope to see you there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Triathlon this Sunday Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hilton Chicago and the Chicago Oly

Started by myred86
Views: 1308 Posts: 3

2011-08-09 3:15 PM Spyder34

Ragnar Relay Chicago (Madison WI to Chicago IL)

Started by Renee
Views: 3030 Posts: 3

2010-12-11 3:19 PM TeddieMao

Chicago Tri/Chicago Marathon

Started by Decatur217
Views: 2234 Posts: 13

2009-05-15 4:33 PM JustRunFaster

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!

Started by jszat
Views: 904 Posts: 2

2006-10-12 3:27 PM hangloose

Chicago Triathlon FYI

Started by Ron
Views: 1114 Posts: 1

2005-08-24 6:25 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.