General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting comfortable on a tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-24 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Getting comfortable on a tri bike
I got my first tri bike a few weeks ago. I have been riding every Sat & Sun each weekend since then.

The good - I am riding my usual routes about 1.5 mph faster than my road bike. The climbs are faster and while I just as gassed in the lungs, I have more legs left.

The bad - I am still not comfortable on the descents. I just don't feel like I have sufficient control on the downhills. I am sure I will get there eventually but I have a race in just under three weeks so realistically another four rides is all I can get in on the bike before then.

Any pearls of wisdom that might help me out here?

2015-08-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

Subject: RE: Getting comfortable on a tri bike
You will get more comfortable as time goes on.

For any descent you feel uncomfortable with you can just switch out of aero position, but try to stay low and as aerodynamic as possible with your hands on the horns for more control.
2015-08-24 9:58 PM

Don't get too stiff on the descents. Keep your shoulders loose--this will allow your elbows to absorb a lot more of the shock, which feels like it's magnified x10 in the aero position. Also, make sure you've been fitted by a GOOD fitter, not just your average joe working at your LBS. Get a Retul or 3D Body Geometry (video) fit. This will help maximize comfort on all aspects of the ride.
2015-08-24 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Getting comfortable DESCENDING on a tri bike takes time, the handling is totally different feeling, twitchier etc.

I've had mine for 5 years, though I had 2-3 years I couldn't use it, and have only recently started to get comfortable with some of the real descents in my aero tuck.

There is a bit of a penalty to going down in the horns, but you can still get REALLY quick getting low on them, and you have the benefit of your hands by the brakes as well as the easier handling.

Use the horns for this triathlon, or any others, until you're REALLY comfortable on them. I still use the horns depending on the terrain, and need to slow down, for obvious reasons.

We don't spend THAT much time descending, so you're not going to see much penalty, so I wouldn't be too worried!
2015-08-25 7:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA
It will never be as comfortable descending as it is on a road bike. However as you spend more time on it you will get more used to it. Most people will come out of aero on technical descents. straight descents should be fine to stay aero, that being said once I'm over about 45mph I put my hands on the horns. There is not much time to react at those speeds and I'd rather be safe then slightly faster.
2015-08-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: jenniferpelota

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by jenniferpelota

Don't get too stiff on the descents. Keep your shoulders loose--this will allow your elbows to absorb a lot more of the shock, which feels like it's magnified x10 in the aero position. Also, make sure you've been fitted by a GOOD fitter, not just your average joe working at your LBS. Get a Retul or 3D Body Geometry (video) fit. This will help maximize comfort on all aspects of the ride.

I am lucky that I do have access to a very good fitter. I live less than a mile from Specialized HQ so there is a LBS that has been fitting pros for years. Full set up with multiple cameras, video, software to measure angle etc. We spent almost four hours getting it all dialed in.

The bike felt great from the start on all but the descents. I think having been hit once with two major surgeries probably plays in to it as well.

2015-08-25 8:44 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by dfquigley

There is a bit of a penalty to going down in the horns, but you can still get REALLY quick getting low on them, and you have the benefit of your hands by the brakes as well as the easier handling.

Use the horns for this triathlon, or any others, until you're REALLY comfortable on them. I still use the horns depending on the terrain, and need to slow down, for obvious reasons.

This is what I am currently doing. I think I will take both bikes but I do have a day before the race to check out the course. My preference would be to use the tri bike.

Thanks,
2015-08-25 10:52 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Stuartap
Originally posted by dfquigley There is a bit of a penalty to going down in the horns, but you can still get REALLY quick getting low on them, and you have the benefit of your hands by the brakes as well as the easier handling. Use the horns for this triathlon, or any others, until you're REALLY comfortable on them. I still use the horns depending on the terrain, and need to slow down, for obvious reasons.
This is what I am currently doing. I think I will take both bikes but I do have a day before the race to check out the course. My preference would be to use the tri bike. Thanks,

Are you going fast enough that you're coasting the descents? Going to the horns and dropping your torso even lower may be faster than sitting in aero. That type of thing is individual, depending on how well you can fold up in each spot.

2015-08-26 12:04 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Stuartap
Originally posted by dfquigley There is a bit of a penalty to going down in the horns, but you can still get REALLY quick getting low on them, and you have the benefit of your hands by the brakes as well as the easier handling. Use the horns for this triathlon, or any others, until you're REALLY comfortable on them. I still use the horns depending on the terrain, and need to slow down, for obvious reasons.
This is what I am currently doing. I think I will take both bikes but I do have a day before the race to check out the course. My preference would be to use the tri bike. Thanks,

Are you going fast enough that you're coasting the descents? Going to the horns and dropping your torso even lower may be faster than sitting in aero. That type of thing is individual, depending on how well you can fold up in each spot.

I haven't tried this yet, but the last 2 times I was on our local course I was basically getting into tuck, but stretching out more, getting further back on the seat, allowing my torso to drop, but not as low as I've seen some guys who are in front of the seat basically riding the top-tube.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting comfortable on a tri bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

getting comfortable on long bike rides

Started by bwoods0410
Views: 1148 Posts: 6

2012-05-07 9:39 AM cbire880

Tri-shorts more comfortable then regular bike shorts on trainer

Started by Klaussprecht
Views: 1708 Posts: 18

2010-11-06 5:52 PM Klaussprecht

I am looking for a comfortable Tri Bike

Started by popit
Views: 2370 Posts: 13

2009-05-26 12:09 PM Silver_wlf

Getting comfortable going downhill in the rain...

Started by oceanannie
Views: 1288 Posts: 7

2008-07-22 11:33 PM KathyG

Seat question: how comfortable is comfortable?

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 1414 Posts: 15

2007-08-14 1:19 PM Timo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.