General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Japan - 20 week beginner training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-25 5:06 AM

Subject: Ironman Japan - 20 week beginner training plan
Hi
I've just come back from ironman Japan, after doing the beginners 20 week plan from this site. Unfortunate I came home in a wheel chair and crashed the run 20km in after my knee gave way and could no longer continue a slow walk. I love this sport and need to break down which variable was out so I can get back on it and complete my goal of going to Kona one day

I picked up a few small aches and pains at weeks 4 to 5 before IM which got worse when I did the 90 min run at week 2 till IM. Got to race day after icing and easing completely off the run for 2 weeks, had a great swim after all the interval training, strong ride, and then loaded up on pain killers in preparation for the run which I knew might be tough, i made it until I could just see the finish across the lake when my run was slowed to a walk and the walk slowed until I could not put one foot I front of the other and was ambulances off the course.

I'm flat footed but have sent the last 2 year training to run in bear foot shoes, and praise them for changing my running style to a toe/mid foot strike, I wonder if I should have done more gym work in leg/ankle work instead of a few runs at week 5/4, maybe some core stuff to help with the hours over the bike? I also have read a lot about the amount of time needed to recover after big runs, about 5 days for a 3h run (over 30km) and wonder if doing 4 runs during that week was in fact too much for a beginner/ intermediate. I did see dramatic improvements after the few longer interval runs, and wonder if there should have been more scattered through out.

This message is not a dig at the training plan, but asking for your help and guidance in return for some feedback on how I handled the training. I did hugely appreciate the structure to this plan, and the variance it gave.

Kind regards

Max

2015-08-25 11:58 PM
in reply to: Mcopestake

Subject: RE: Ironman Japan - 20 week beginner training plan
Hey Max:

I too am looking to do another IM after IM Japan. feel sorta disappointed and want redemption.

I think doing a different IM may result in another outcome- the swimming went well but the biking was another story. it was a brutal bike course that was one of the hardest ones ever conceived. I was comparing IM japan course to other courses- like IM wisconsin: 6150 feet vs 7700 feet.

I think your legs would've been fresher and prepared for the running part. I would also look into trying different shoes - I run with asics kayanos and they offer so much heel padding and support- I have never had any problems with shin splints while running in them. hope this helps.
2015-08-26 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Sorry Max about your problem in the run, sounds like you gave it your best shot.

I am curious what shoes you ran in for the IM ?

Being flat footed myself, and have experimented with many types of shoes and running styles, I find the best protection for my knees and feet are using a semi-orthotic insert such as SuperFeet blue, and a thicker sole running shoe to absorb the shock of a long race (such as Hoka's)

I know the barefoot/minimalist running sounds appealing, but I am not a believer for longer distances. Especially if you have foot / knee issues.

The imbalance of a flat foot causes most of the knee problems from what I have experienced & understand, and having a correct stance is important to prevent it. I think it would be a good idea to have an analysis done to see if your knee issues are due to the imbalances caused by your feet.

OTOH I think it's a good idea to mix it up to help strengthen the ankles with shorter runs, which is what I try to do. Long training runs I do wear the inserts and thicker soled shoes, it helps prevent nagging injuries and recovery is faster.

2015-08-26 10:42 PM
in reply to: #5136702

Thanks Metafizx. I run in Inov 8 f 195s zero drop shoes, done all my training in them, and they helped move my run off my heels to a mid foot strike. It's now 4 days after Japan and I'm still on crutches, I'm going to book a flat course in Aus next to get my confidence back. I've just ordered some Newton Elites and will hopefully start running again in a couple of months. I think I'll take your advise in using the zero drops for the shorter stuff and the padded newtons for the longer distance runs. Ill take a look at the shoe insoles, but want to keep a mid foot strike and know this will put me back on my heals. As for the bike... What a ride! A read 400ish people got cut off. Parts were actually dangerous, and parts you actually had to dismount, run up a track with the bike and then remount, and parts that hammered the bike so hard you were lucky not to puncture (I saw many many people on the track part that had loads of issues with this). The hills were hard, for sure, put luckily the road quality was good on the climbs and the weather was super (big difference over last year). You really have to hammer the flats to get the average up, and be aware of your assent, I found myself fighting flats only to realise that I was actually on a gradual incline and draining energy. Had a 6.20 bike which I was happy with considering
2015-08-26 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Great job on the bike considering the difficulties ! Sounds rough!

As for the inserts....I am a mid-foot striker as well. It shouldn't affect how you strike.

it's just a suggestion...to help work out the mechanics, that's key IMO to preventing knee and foot problems.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Japan - 20 week beginner training plan Rss Feed