General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-25 12:38 PM

User image

Subject: Half Iron
I would like to do a half iron race in a year or two. I would like there to be only one transition area to make it easier of my family. Both IM Raleigh and BTB are point to point races. Any other suggestions? Hoping to get that big race feel

2015-08-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Half Iron
Originally posted by nrpoulin

I would like to do a half iron race in a year or two. I would like there to be only one transition area to make it easier of my family. Both IM Raleigh and BTB are point to point races. Any other suggestions? Hoping to get that big race feel

B2B is not a bad race, it's family friendly, and your family should have plenty of time to get to T2.

That being said, have you looked at Augusta? White Lake has a Half and I think transistions are consolidated into 1.
2015-08-26 8:57 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Both of the races you mentioned are not necessarily spectator unfriendly. Triathlon, in general, is not a great spectator sport. Your family would have plenty of time to get from the beach to T2 to see you at B2B or from Jordan Lake to down town Raleigh for IM Raleigh 70.3. Both are phenomenal races. Well set up, tons of support and worth the $. Wouldn't let the point to point discourage you.
2015-08-26 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5136788

User image

Thanks. We have 3 kids and even the sprints are stressful for them. Augusta sounds interesting
2015-08-26 10:19 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
White lake is a beautiful spot for kids. I wish I'd known about it when my children were young. It's not the big race feel, but plenty of enthusiasm at this race!
2015-08-27 2:05 PM
in reply to: triblogcarol

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by triblogcarol

White lake is a beautiful spot for kids. I wish I'd known about it when my children were young. It's not the big race feel, but plenty of enthusiasm at this race!

my kids LOVE to go to white lake b/c they can swim in the lake while i'm racing. The area between the docks is sandy, not deep, and very clear. In September, the water is usually bathtub warm, too. there are a bunch of other kids there, too, and tons of kayaks and other flotation devices.

i love the fact that it is not a huge race.

2015-09-14 3:12 PM

The two I would recommend would either be White Lake (either spring or fall versions) or Outer Banks Triathlon. Both have single transition areas, and attract enough of a crowd to make it feel "big"--at least near the transition area and on the course areas nearest the transitions. The other bonus of these are that they are all flat courses for bike and run, so they are good choices if its your first half-iron event. Depending on your water preference, White Lake is freshwater and Outer Banks is saltwater. I'd say there is more to do before and after the Outer Banks than White Lake, at least with regard to things to do and see with the family when not racing.
2015-09-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: ptr_sbr

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Originally posted by ptr_sbr

The two I would recommend would either be White Lake (either spring or fall versions) or Outer Banks Triathlon. Both have single transition areas, and attract enough of a crowd to make it feel "big"--at least near the transition area and on the course areas nearest the transitions. The other bonus of these are that they are all flat courses for bike and run, so they are good choices if its your first half-iron event. Depending on your water preference, White Lake is freshwater and Outer Banks is saltwater. I'd say there is more to do before and after the Outer Banks than White Lake, at least with regard to things to do and see with the family when not racing.

The lake at White Lake is great for the kids to play around in. But that is about all there is to do there. White Lake is about as middle of nowhere as you can get without being in Siberia. Having said that, for a first half its a nice choice with few logistical issues. I actually did the half there twice (my first and second ones) and then my wife made me promise to never make us go back there again! hahaha After having done White Lake, B2B and IM Raleigh, I'd give the latter two very high ratings in terms of race experience AND pre-post race things to do. White Lake gets OK grades from me for the race itself (mainly because it is well organized---the actual bike and run routes are very boring but nice and flat) but is not a place to really spend lots of time at afterwards.
2015-09-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #5137108

User image

My wife had the same response after white lake sprint last year! Lol. Did OBX oly this year and liked the course and area. Hoping for a larger crowd though
2015-09-21 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I echo that Raleigh and B2B are good spectator events but respect that you're not into them.

So Augusta is awesome. Even though it's technically not 1 transition area, they're pretty close together. This would be my top choice. White Lake has been covered and suits the one transition thing. The other is the Finish Stong Half at Jordan Lake. But these are massively different races in terms of production value, number of racers, cost, etc. hard to compare.

Also, I'm intrigued by the Chattanooga 70.3. Haven't done it but it looks like a nice race. Not sure about the transition situation. But its driveable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Rss Feed