General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming in the COLD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-07 8:47 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: swimming in the COLD
Water temperature on the race day was (as far as I remember) 62 degrees.
I was doing awesome! And water felt warm to me. I was actually one or two in my wave without the wetsuite...

I just came back from camping and all my friends (including kids!) said the water was very cold, and it felt like heaven for me. Seriously! I believe those cold water baths helped a lot. I started with only 5-6 minutes and I was able to do it for over 20 minutes. I also ate 90% dark chocolate every day before the race. Although, I am not sure how much it helped

With that being said, I think the best you can do to prepare for cold water race is to expose your body to lower temperatures and get used to it. I went to open water swim as well (the day before race). People were looking at me as if I were crazy, while I actually enjoyed the water!
Two caps and earplugs helped a lot too.

Jamie, are you coming to ITU Triathlon in two weeks?

Mary

2015-09-07 9:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Another thing I've heard about warming feet after cold water swim: put hand or toe warmers inside your shoes and cover with towel. So when you come back from swimming you jump into warm shoes.

I am taking super cold baths every day. The first time I was able to sit there for six minutes. Yesterday I decreased temperature and was able to stay comfortably for 15 minutes. Hopefully it will make a tiny bit of a difference on Sunday.

I'm also trying to stay positive - if it's that cold - it will be a new experience for me, that maybe I can share next year with other first-timers
Mary

I have nerve damage in my foot and a water temp below about 70 makes my foot curl, much like when your toes cramp but more extreme. I use toe warmers wrapped in a small towel to warm my foot before I can put on my bike shoe. In T1 after removing my wetsuit, the first thing I do is wrap my foot in the towel. While my foot is warming I put everything else on and then my sock and shoe. It works well most of the time but there are times I still need to force my foot into my sock and shoe.

I wear a sleeveless in water down to 60 and the only thing that is affected is the limb. I do dunk my head before I take off just so I can get over the shock of the cold water and this seems to keep my breathing even with little panicking.

Edited by fortissimo 2015-09-07 9:15 PM
2015-09-08 10:49 AM
in reply to: #5136884

Mary,
That's awesome about how the ice baths worked for you! Sounds like you're a strong swimmer anyway without a wetsuit. Congrats!

I'd love to do ITU, but I have work. I'll be volunteering earlier in the week and watching the elite though. Good luck if you're doing that one, too!
2015-09-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: jamie1c

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jamie1c

Mary,
That's awesome about how the ice baths worked for you! Sounds like you're a strong swimmer anyway without a wetsuit. Congrats!

I'd love to do ITU, but I have work. I'll be volunteering earlier in the week and watching the elite though. Good luck if you're doing that one, too!

Thanks Jamie!
It will be a few-day event, so hopefully you can make it I'm glad you signed up for volunteering - I can imagine it will be a great experience!
I will be volunteering too, Thursday morning and Saturday closing ceremony. I will be coming to the para-triathlon and women's on Friday.
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming in the COLD Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming in the cold

Started by odpaul7
Views: 982 Posts: 10

2012-02-12 2:38 PM NeilsWheel

Swimming with chest cold ?

Started by yjt0189
Views: 3636 Posts: 4

2011-07-05 10:02 PM runspingirl

How Cold is Too Cold to Swim?

Started by dsw3131
Views: 17895 Posts: 9

2011-01-14 8:25 AM scholar

Open water swim training in cold climates?

Started by triscott26
Views: 1062 Posts: 6

2009-12-10 7:18 AM jdotten

Cold water swim - insulated swim cap?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 6221 Posts: 14

2009-06-03 7:58 PM Catwoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : June 10, 2008
author : shadoweloc
I was nervous. The water was cold. The cones defining the course were so far away. When the whistle blew for my wave, I waded in slowly to let everyone else pass me.
date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!

date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.