General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calibrating Power Meter on Race Day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-27 11:54 AM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Calibrating Power Meter on Race Day

I just picked up a Power2Max Classic PM and want to make sure that I properly calibrate it on race day so the data will be recorded.

I have a Garmin 500 and my current practice is to hit the "Start" while in transition.  The auto start/stop is set at 15 km/hr and so it will stay in pause mode until I get up to speed during the race.  The auto shut-off has also be disabled so that the Garmin won't shut down by itself.

My question is, if I calibrate the PM during race day set up, will it stay calibrated for the race - likely an hour or so between initial calibration and getting on the bike? 

Do you need to do anything special at the beginning of the ride?

As an aside, does anyone know why the Power2Max won't calibrate on the Garmin 500 without wearing my HR monitor?

2015-08-27 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Calibrating Power Meter on Race Day
Originally posted by Scott71
As an aside, does anyone know why the Power2Max won't calibrate on the Garmin 500 without wearing my HR monitor?

I will let the P2M users comment on calibration but for the Garmin, simply disable the HR monitor and you should be able to calibrate. Then you have to search for it again to re-enable it. Garmin bug.

Edited by marcag 2015-08-27 12:42 PM
2015-08-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Scott71

I just picked up a Power2Max Classic PM and want to make sure that I properly calibrate it on race day so the data will be recorded.

I have a Garmin 500 and my current practice is to hit the "Start" while in transition.  The auto start/stop is set at 15 km/hr and so it will stay in pause mode until I get up to speed during the race.  The auto shut-off has also be disabled so that the Garmin won't shut down by itself.

My question is, if I calibrate the PM during race day set up, will it stay calibrated for the race - likely an hour or so between initial calibration and getting on the bike? 

Do you need to do anything special at the beginning of the ride?

It should stay calibrated as it has an internal temperature compensation but that's assuming that works well.  The other option is to just coast for a few seconds shortly into the ride to let it do an auto zero.

As for not calibrating without the HR monitor - super annoying!  Same thing applies to a speed sensor.  It will eventually work, just takes way longer.

2015-08-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Scott71 As an aside, does anyone know why the Power2Max won't calibrate on the Garmin 500 without wearing my HR monitor?

I will let the P2M users comment on calibration but for the Garmin, simply disable the HR monitor and you should be able to calibrate. Then you have to search for it again to re-enable it. Garmin bug.

Hey Marc, do you know if that's just an issue with the 500 or are other Garmins the same?

2015-08-27 4:15 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Scott71 As an aside, does anyone know why the Power2Max won't calibrate on the Garmin 500 without wearing my HR monitor?

Hey Marc, do you know if that's just an issue with the 500 or are other Garmins the same?

Not sure. I think it's only the 500 but not 100% sure. I used to have it with the 500 and a powertap.

The problem doesn't exist for me with the 800.
2015-08-27 9:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I've had the same calibration issue with my 500. Issue is it won't calibrate some times if one sensor is not present. In regards to calibration on race day. Be careful. I had issues once and ended up syncing my 500 to someone else's PM. I don't calibrate on race day anymore but it stays pretty consistent for,me already.

2015-08-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: Nussy

User image

Oakville

Thanks for the advice everyone. 

I will always have my HR monitor with me on race day, so the calibration issue is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Its my first race with the PM and so I plan to ride "blind" and not pay attention to power during the race.

I'm more concerned with recording the power data to see how the race went.

2015-08-29 11:58 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

P2Max will calibrate if you stop pedaling or coast for 2 seconds with no action required by you. I don't worry about it. I know I'll coast on the hills going down, if they are steep enough. This is nice since the temperature will increase throughout the day and I'm sure you'll coast 2 seconds every so often.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calibrating Power Meter on Race Day Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman with a power meter (zeroing / calibrating)

Started by michael_runs
Views: 2808 Posts: 23

2013-03-12 3:42 PM RPC1117

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2395 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1940 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui

Calibrating a footpod that is already calibrated?

Started by pseudoyams
Views: 1014 Posts: 12

2006-10-16 11:57 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : September 4, 2008
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : May 7, 2008
Discussion on training and racing with power meters, differences between power meters, Kona preparation, Ironman pacing and nutrition and Ironman swim seeding.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.