General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standard or compact crank for IMAZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Standard or compact crank for IMAZ
OptionResults
Yes0 Votes - [0%]
Nah, that hill is no problemo6 Votes - [100%]

2015-08-30 12:17 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Standard or compact crank for IMAZ
Hello BTers,

There was similar thread about cranks but this one is about IMAZ which I know is mostly flat minus one kinda long hill that's not too bad. I have a 11-28T cassette in the back. Being my first full IM I'm planning on a power output IF range of 0.65-0.68 to have a decent marathon after.

I also like to stick to a cadence range between 85-95rpm on flat roads and rolling hills and at least 75-80rpm while climbing which I can't seem to do well using a standard crank where I drop to the mid to low 60s when I start climbing grades >8%.

Should I swap my standard crank with 53/39 rings to a compact 50/34 for this race?

Thanks,
Roland

Edited by kloofyroland 2015-08-30 12:18 AM

2015-08-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Standard or compact crank for IMAZ

1. Your poll is a choice question and your answers are yes and no.

2. I did IMAZ on a 54/39 with a 11-23 cassette and never once left the big ring.  The climb up to the turnaround is not as flat as people say it is but it's still pretty flat.

2015-08-30 10:01 AM

User image

No. There is no climbing anywhere near 8%. It's, what,,,,2? Don't underestimate it with the wind and 3d lap, but its not a climb. Just use the small ring if you need to to keep your cadence
2015-08-30 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Go with what you have... get a wider cassette say 11-28 if you need more gearing.
2015-08-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Edit... I meant use the 11-28...
2015-08-30 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

IMAZ is very flat.  The long climb is one of those that you know you're climbing, and when you look back you realize you've climbed a bit, but other than that it's not really a "hill" by anyone's definition of hill.  I think 11-28 is more than wide enough with a standard crank.  I did IMAZ last year and the huge headwind on that slight climb made it seem like a much bigger hill.  The third loop outbound had me in my lowest gear (I run 11-25) at 9 mph. 

I raced IM Boulder a few weeks ago, and had a great bike split (for me) of 6:22.  During training I was intentionally trying to spread my cadence out, to be comfortable at 65 and at 90. Lots of sitting climbing at 65, lots of shallow hills at 80, lots of flats at 90, and some flats I'd gear up to be at 75.

2015-08-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I don't understand why everyone at this level of cycling is not riding a compact, no matter the terrain.  I would be willing to bet there is not a single person on this board (short of the very top cyclists) who would not learn to be a more efficient cyclist on a compact.......hills or not.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-30 11:23 AM
2015-08-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't understand why everyone at this level of cycling is not riding a compact, no matter the terrain.  I would be willing to bet there is not a single person on this board (short of the very top cyclists) who would not learn to be a more efficient cyclist on a compact.......hills or not.

Please explain how a compact would benefit me vs. the standard crank.

2015-08-30 11:36 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brucemorgan

You'll learn to pedal at a higher cadence, a skill which will benefit you in every facet of cycling when you need it.  You aren't a good enough cyclist to need a standard crank, you just don't have enough power,  which applies to virtually everyone at this level. You should try it......and then tell me how your legs feel after a long ride compared to how they feel on your standard crank.  Almost everyone at this level would benefit from a compact crank.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-30 11:40 AM
2015-08-30 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You'll learn to pedal at a higher cadence, a skill which will benefit you in every facet of cycling when you need it.  You aren't a good enough cyclist to need a standard crank, you just don't have enough power,  which applies to virtually everyone at this level. You should try it......and then tell me how your legs feel after a long ride compared to how they feel on your standard crank.  Almost everyone at this level would benefit from a compact crank.

You really believe most people can't do high cadence with a 39/28 and should spend money switching out their crank ?

2015-08-30 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Simply not true.  There's even several pubmed studies saying the exact opposite that lower cadence cycling has less a physiological effect.  Let's just say your line of thinking is debatable.... at best.

There's several very good reasons to run a compact or semi-compact.  That's just not one of them.  Despite Junior's n=1 that I sure you're going to mention. ;-)

Edited by GMAN 19030 2015-08-30 12:55 PM

2015-08-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Originally posted by marcag

You really believe most people can't do high cadence with a 39/28 and should spend money switching out their crank ?
Sure they can, but they can do it MUCH easier with a compact. And for the record, yes, I think the first thing every new, potentially serious, cyclist should do is change out their crank to a compact, or have the LBS do it as part of a new bike purchase.
2015-08-30 3:16 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Simply not true.  There's even several pubmed studies saying the exact opposite that lower cadence cycling has less a physiological effect.  Let's just say your line of thinking is debatable.... at best.

There's several very good reasons to run a compact or semi-compact.  That's just not one of them.  Despite Junior's n=1 that I sure you're going to mention. ;-)

Nah...we switch every developing triathlete to a compact.....the results are usually immediate and the learning curve drops substantially.  Once a decent power base is established I have no problem with the standard vs. compact argument that says standard is a "race" crank.  But as I said......there are only a few people here who I would say can be better on a standard then a compact.   There are NONE, in my opinion, that couldn't learn to be a better cyclist by first riding a compact.

2015-08-30 3:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Longer term, I'll average in the 80's, say ~85, but for shorter sections I can average above 100 rpm for a few minutes at a time without much of any trouble. Actually nice after a climb where I didn't have quite enough gear. Can go 110 or even 120. Have peaked at 140 to 150 or so on the roads for very brief sections (seconds). Recently I used an older bike (sentimental reasons, not gearing) that had a triple up front. FD had some issues and just let it in the middle ring the last 25 miles. This ring is a 42T and back was 12-26. Nothing really *that* fast, but some descents went into the 30's for that stretch and could keep up easily enough. Flats could still be worked at what felt normal (that bike doesn't have cadence). LB is this the type of thing you mean?

I think most people should get a compact when they get their bike, but if they already have it IM AZ is not really a reason to switch either way as it just doesn't have any of the ups or downs that either end of the ranges would be put to use.

2015-08-31 8:25 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I have never been on the coarse but if its only a 2%, chances are I would be shifting out of my big ring, and I have a 11-25 cassette.

As for the compact vs standard, I would agree that most people do not have the power to ride the 53/39 crank but that depends on where you ride too. If you ride mostly flat it's fine for almost everyone. If you ride lots of hills, think about a compact.

I ride both- my road bike has a 53/39 with 11-25 cassette and I have hills at 25% grade around me that I get up.

My tri bike had a 52/36 crank but last year I changed the cranks(shorter ones) and when I did the crank got changed to a 52/34. Yes it actually works well and gives me the best of both worlds. Those huge hills that I climb I also have to descend so it's nice to have a little more gear so I don't spin out as fast.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standard or compact crank for IMAZ Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chain length with standard and compact crankset

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1075 Posts: 5

2015-08-13 4:14 PM kloofyroland

Compact Crank or Standard 53x39 Crank for Road Race?

Started by MForger18
Views: 2805 Posts: 9

2011-07-08 7:32 PM JohnnyKay

Compact versus Standard crankset on the TT rig

Started by jhornebx
Views: 694 Posts: 6

2009-07-14 11:03 AM Daremo

what are compact cranks for? Pages: 1 2

Started by scott_loong
Views: 4644 Posts: 44

2006-11-29 7:07 PM TH3_FRB

Compact cranks? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 3799 Posts: 66

2006-06-08 10:54 PM Nob
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: