Cedar Creek Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 0/0
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

We went to packet pick up the night before. My wife and I received free registrations as she is employed by one of the major race sponsors. Since I didn't register the traditional way, somehow my email did not get added correctly to race corrospondence. I never received any pre-race communication and always relied on 2nd hand e-mail forwards or other ways. This was sort of frustrating because I did ask that my email be corrected. They confirmed my registration, but never changed the contact info. LOL. My wife also sent a few emails to the RD prior to the race and never received a response.

I did get one quick look at the course map and we were determined to drive the bike course after packet pick up. We attempted to drive the course while looking at the map zoomed in on a phone, but did not get it right. To make matters worse, wife was quite sick, fighting a fever, and the kids were restless. We quit and I figured I'll figure it out on race day. My mistake.

We got up about 4:45 and hit the road by 5:30. I had some coffee, part of a banana and a nutri-grain bar. I didn't train or taper for this race. I'm in the middle of 70.3 training so I just lumped this into my program. Since most workouts of this length are on an empty stomach in the morning, I didn't want much.

We arrived in plenty of time and it was nice to find a place in transition next to each other. I will say that my wife was running a fever on Friday night and probably should not have raced. We're both super stubborn though and she wanted to gut it out.
Event warmup:

After getting set up, we had the opportunity for a warm up swim. I'm glad we took the opportunity to do this. After a tiny man-made beach, there was a drop off into the water. Not a problem whatsoever, but it was good to know about it. It also helped for swim exit as I knew to swim basically all the way to the sand, before trying to stand up.
Swim
  • 09m 45s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was an elite wave which was targeted to athletes who expected a swim time of 5 minutes or less. I stayed with wife and hung back while a line formed and athletes entered the water every 2 seconds or so. A nicely organized start. In hindsight, I should have pushed forward. A volunteer was calling for athletes to enter based on estimated time. When I heard them say '8-9 minutes" I decided I needed to move forward, as I was still a ways away from the start.

I'm glad I entered when I did. I spent the entire swim passing people. If i was in an earlier entry, I may have had more clean water. That said, it was pretty easy to navigate and the athletes were spaced enough that I encountered little traffic, except for the final buoy. Getting out of the water earlier would have probably helped as I would have had a better idea of what lap other athletes were on.

The swim was definitely right at 500 yards, which put my rate at about 1:48/100.

Swim 5/23 in AG
What would you do differently?:

Enter the water earlier.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

I had 2nd fastest T1 in my AG, so it went pretty well. Not much to change. I didn't see many shoes banded to bikes (like mine) but I was not racked near the elite wave bikes. I hopped on my bike and climbed the first hill with my feet on top of my shoes. I had some trouble getting my left foot in, but nothing too unusual. I've learned that it's a waste of time to focus too much on getting the shoes right until you've picked up speed. Lots of people create a bottle neck at the bike start jacking around with shoes. I rode without shoes, as usual for a shorter distance.

T1 2/23 in AG

I was not in a prime transition spot, so I could have shaved a few seconds.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Here's where things went bad. I climbed the hill and settled in. My plan was to go and a strong pace for the first half and then hammer the 2nd half of the race and go into T2 to test my tired legs.

I spent the first several miles riding through traffic. I saw one of the Bannana Hammock guys sitting on the side of the road. I found out later he was hit by a deer!

About 8-9 minutes through the bike, I climbed a short hill and was passed by another bananna team member (Jon). I bumped into him a few weeks ago while on a lunch run and a few years ago I ran with him for a short bit at KC Tri. Since he passed me, and I figured I'd hold his wheel for a while and see how things went. His pace was fine and I thought maybe he knew the course....plus at KC Tri a few years ago running with him picked me up when I was struggling, so I felt a positive vibe. I road on his wheel for a while (out of the draft zone!! ) when I decided I needed to pick up the pace. I thought about chatting with him a few times, but never did. I decided to make my pass, and this is where things went wrong.

Evidently, as I was thinking things through, I did not pay well attention to the street markings or the volunteers. I made a right turn, thinking I was following the correct "loop". (I still wasn't sure what was the correct course). I made the turn, and immediately thought I got it wrong. I saw Jon going straight (he was on his 2nd lap I found out later). At the turn, there is a short hill. I rode to the top and stopped. I looked around and saw no one. Another rider came up and I told him I thought I went the wrong way. He said, "this is the way if you're finishing up". I knew I wasn't finishing, because I hadn't done the loop. So, pulled a U-turn and headed back. I put my head down and hammered it hoping I'd catch the riders who surely passed my on the mistake.

As I turned up the power, I soon came to the big descent. I was looking for the turnaround (to do the big hill again, as the lady in the swim corrall was talking about) but quickly figured out I had screwed up big time. I rode into transition and dismounted. I told a volunteer that I only did one lap, and asked her how to get back. I contemplated riding the entire course again, but, didn't know what to do. The volunteer didn't know anything about the bike course and there was nothing to do anyway. I walked into T2 and contemplated quitting. I was DQ'd and there was no point.

Understand the bike course. In looking at my GPS data, it's very clear what I was supposed to do. The bottom line is that it is the athlete's responsibility to know the course and I didn't.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Basically, I walked into transition and stood around. In looking at the time, I'm not sure how I beat several people in T2, as I literally stood there frustrated, trying to decide what to do.

Nothing. Normally I would try for a T2.
Run
  • 25m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

So at the start of the run, I walked. Then I saw my friend who was there cheering on his wife. Before starting the first hill, I stopped to chat with him. My Garmin shows I was stopped for a little over a minute. At that point, I didn't care. I started running up the hill and tried to get into a groove. Since my run is my weakest leg, at some point I decided to stop pouting and just run. I started feeling good and got a boost when I looked at my watch and saw my current pace was in the 7's. That's fast for me, and I felt fine, so I kept with it. I turned in a pretty good run.

The run ends with a good half mile down hill. I ran well when I was caught by two young ladies. I could tell the were battling it out. Since I knew I had cheated, they were certainly in contention for their AG win. As they got close, I stretched out ahead of them about a 5 feet. I could hear them grunting and fighting each other. They were shoulder to shoulder, and for some reason i decided to exit their battle. I slowed a bit while they kicked it. As they crossed the finish line, an event photographer grabbed them for a photo and told them "this will be for our magazine". They embraced and took the photo. I was glad I stayed back. No one was looking for a final battle between two young fit girls and a 38 year old fat guy.

Run 12/23 in AG

Run from the beginning. I was relatively pleased with my run, considering the circumstances. I'm eager for next week's race to test my legs in a similar short race.
Post race
Warm down:

I cheered on wife and a few other friends. Jamie was having a hard time. She was sick and not fit to race. I saw here on my descent as she was climbing the hill for the first time. She started to walk and I could tell she was not well, but she was battling. After she finished, we got some chocolate milk, talked to a few folks and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not prepared for this race. I joked that this was my least prepared race. That lack of preparation cost me. Overall, I had a pretty good race and wish it would have been legal, because I would have placed fairly high in my AG (for me). Next week, I'll be more prepared! (and the course is more basic, so no confusion!)

Event comments:

Very good event! My only gripe is the pre-race communication. While they had regular announcements on Facebook, I know of several direct communications that were ignored. This was disappointing. Overall, I felt the race went very well and was well organized.

A fine event that I'm glad I competed in. I just wish I had prepared myself better.

Last updated: 2015-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:45 | 400 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/0
Overall: 0/0
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: A rectangle around the buoys. A VERY small pond. The course is listed as 400M. It is actually more like 500 yards. The buoys are placed at each end of the pond and there is really no where for the buoys to float to. The pond is the swim course, and the swim course is the pond. It should be advertised correctly, but it's no big deal.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/0
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: An out-and-back, with a loop inside the course. One portion was supposed to be repeated. Out of T1, there is a climb about .5 miles long. Not very steep at all, but it was a soul crusher for the mountain bikers out there. Since it was right away, there was not an opportunity to build up too much speed. Since I did not do a proper course survey, I relied on second hand information to prepare. In the swim start corrall, I talked to a woman who told me about the initial hill. I knew about it, but she told me the hill was on the course twice. Once at the start, and a 2nd time after the first loop after a U-turn. "hmm" I thought, as I wonder how that was going to work, as it didn't seem to jive with what I expected. Oh well, whatever. I figured I'd figure it out on the road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:25:02 | 03.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/0
Performance: Good
Course: Two lap course, with a hill basically at the start of each lap.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-30 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Cedar Creek Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Creek Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by reecealan
Views: 1175 Posts: 1

2015-08-30 11:48 AM reecealan

Cedar Creek Spring Duathlon

Started by TJHammer
Views: 1048 Posts: 1

2015-04-13 12:15 PM TJHammer

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1498 Posts: 2

2014-09-11 1:18 PM Barkeep

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1304 Posts: 2

2014-09-10 2:23 PM m.a.burghart

Cedar lakes triathlon

Started by golfinggods
Views: 2165 Posts: 3

2005-08-02 1:10 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race