General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-30 10:31 PM

User image

Subject: 70.3 training
I have a friend who wants to get into long course triathlon. She would like me to write her a training plan with 4 days on, 3 days off. I want to be encouraging but for anything over a 70.3, I personally train 6 days a week, with 2 workouts a day. I realize this varies based on an athletes goals, fitness level etc.

Bottom Line: Is it possible to finish a 70.3, if you train 4 days a week?

2015-08-31 1:06 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

Subject: RE: 70.3 training
Originally posted by mtrunner6

I have a friend who wants to get into long course triathlon. She would like me to write her a training plan with 4 days on, 3 days off. I want to be encouraging but for anything over a 70.3, I personally train 6 days a week, with 2 workouts a day. I realize this varies based on an athletes goals, fitness level etc.

Bottom Line: Is it possible to finish a 70.3, if you train 4 days a week?

The cut off is 7 hours isn't it? Anyone of average fitness can complete a 70.3 under 7 hours with little to no training.
2015-08-31 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Yes, everyone has different goals and lifestyles. Possibly hers only allow 4 days of training, but it can work. It's not the most beneficial way to train, but if its a hobby for her then work it in. Just let her know race day will not be as easy for her.

Things to consider:

Her level of training, fitness, etc going in

What are her goals for the race? Do they match what she can put in for training?

Does the course suit her strengths or exposer her weakness?
2015-08-31 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Her goal is simply to finish, the complicating factor is she will be 10 months postpartum at the target race (Lake Tahoe, 2016). So her fitness level at the moment isn't necessarily lacking, just not exactly where it needs to be for a tri:
1) I want to set her up for success (basically finishing up right and feeling okay)
2) I don't want to write an unrealistic plan for her therefore putting unnecessary pressure on a new mom BUT I don't want to write a sloppy plan, so the balancing act is a new challenge for me.

Edited by mtrunner6 2015-08-31 8:04 AM
2015-08-31 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by mtrunner6 Her goal is simply to finish, the complicating factor is she will be 10 months postpartum at the target race (Lake Tahoe, 2016). So her fitness level at the moment isn't necessarily lacking, just not exactly where it needs to be for a tri: 1) I want to set her up for success (basically finishing up right and feeling okay) 2) I don't want to write an unrealistic plan for her therefore putting unnecessary pressure on a new mom BUT I don't want to write a half plan, so the balancing act is a new challenge for me,

I'm going to say she probably needs to be talked out of racing 10 months after giving birth.  That's just my own personal opinion on that matter.  I'm assuming she's using the race as a reason to get into shape after the baby but it veers way into "messed up priorities" territory for me.  Once again, my opinion.

That stated, is she willing to do two-a-days for those four days she can train?  If so, you have 8 workouts.

2x swim

3x bike

3x run

If her goal is to simply finish and not set the world on fire I'd do...

Swim 1: shorter, more intense sets.  Think 100's.

Swim 2: Longer sets.  Think 400's or 500's.

Bike 1: One hour, mixed with some Z4+ stuff

Bike 2: Same as bike 1.

Bike 3: Long ride at race pace.

Run 1: One hour (at peak) mixing in some medium and medium-fast intervals.

Run 2: Same as run 1.

Run 3: Long run at race pace.

2015-08-31 10:45 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mtrunner6 I have a friend who wants to get into long course triathlon. She would like me to write her a training plan with 4 days on, 3 days off. I want to be encouraging but for anything over a 70.3, I personally train 6 days a week, with 2 workouts a day. I realize this varies based on an athletes goals, fitness level etc. Bottom Line: Is it possible to finish a 70.3, if you train 4 days a week?

I have done 3 day work out plans for up to a 1/2 marathon.   I can get through a half marathon and even sometimes be fairly competitive on 3 days a week  (I place 3rd over all out of a couple hundred people in a 1/2 marathon on a 3 days training plan once, but it was NOT as fast a time as when I am on a 6 day plan) times).  

I would never try a 3 or even 4 day plan for an event over 2 hours long.  Your body can't store glycogen for races over 2 hours and I really struggle if I haven't put in a ton more volume to prepare for those event.  with three days a week I can do two days with a 60 minute run and one day with a 120 minute run.  Four hours a week can get me through a 90 minute race.  The rule of thumb is to prepare 2-2/3 hour for every hour you race.  Assuming a 5 hour 70.3 race time that would mean that you need a little over 13 hours of training for the 70.3.  If you are only training 4 days a week that is 3 hour 15 minutes per day.  If your friend is willing to do 3hr 15 min sessions 4 days a week, then go for it.  I am not someone that will criticize people for trying new plans and if your friend goes that route I would be interested to hear the pro's and con's of a 4 day plan after the race.  6 days a week with two sessions a day is the route I will stick with though. I also and going to stick with the 2-2/3 rule.  I can get through races on less, but can compete at the top of my potential with less (and races over 2 hours are just miserable if I haven't that type of volume).   

2015-08-31 11:08 AM

User image

Portland, Oregon
If the baby she gives birth to is anything like mine was, the most influential factor in her training may not be the days she has available to train, but the fact that most of her training will be done in a severely sleep-deprived state. 2-a-day workouts are challenging even when you're well-rested!

I would suggest a sprint or Olympic tri as a goal, but if she's insistent on long-course, write her a plan like GMAN's. Just know that it might go right out the window when her focus is on the new baby, and that's perfectly okay.

Just my $0.02.

Marty
2015-08-31 12:01 PM

, Idaho
My wife is 11 months away from having a baby. She runs most days and is in pretty good shape. It would be hard for her to do two a day workouts right now, but if she was going to do a 70.3 (and could only do 4 days a week) it would have to be 2 workouts a day. That's a lot of time with a baby.

Is she open to training for an Olympic instead (probably still need 2-a-days, but it wouldn't be as much time)?
2015-08-31 12:13 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by mtrunner6 Her goal is simply to finish, the complicating factor is she will be 10 months postpartum at the target race (Lake Tahoe, 2016). So her fitness level at the moment isn't necessarily lacking, just not exactly where it needs to be for a tri: 1) I want to set her up for success (basically finishing up right and feeling okay) 2) I don't want to write an unrealistic plan for her therefore putting unnecessary pressure on a new mom BUT I don't want to write a half plan, so the balancing act is a new challenge for me,

I'm going to say she probably needs to be talked out of racing 10 months after giving birth.  That's just my own personal opinion on that matter.  I'm assuming she's using the race as a reason to get into shape after the baby but it veers way into "messed up priorities" territory for me.  Once again, my opinion.

That stated, is she willing to do two-a-days for those four days she can train?  If so, you have 8 workouts.

2x swim

3x bike

3x run

If her goal is to simply finish and not set the world on fire I'd do...

Swim 1: shorter, more intense sets.  Think 100's.

Swim 2: Longer sets.  Think 400's or 500's.

Bike 1: One hour, mixed with some Z4+ stuff

Bike 2: Same as bike 1.

Bike 3: Long ride at race pace.

Run 1: One hour (at peak) mixing in some medium and medium-fast intervals.

Run 2: Same as run 1.

Run 3: Long run at race pace.

I like this plan as it's focused on getting quality workouts within the time constraints.
2015-08-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I agree with all of the above. While I totally honor the challenges that come along with a newborn, as someone without kids it is really hard to fully understand the experience/wrap my head around the time suck (I mean that in a nice way) sleep deprivation, and new priorities that come into your life with a baby. First and foremost I want my friend reach her goals, however I do not want to be the reason her first year of motherhood is harder than it has to be. That said, I will not send an athlete to the start line if I don't truly think they can complete the course in the allotted time (hell, I wouldn't toe the line if I hadn't trained properly). Hmmm, sounds like a bit of a conundrum...

Edited by mtrunner6 2015-08-31 5:50 PM
2015-08-31 9:55 PM

, Tennessee
I am a mom of three. While I have no experience with 70.3s, I have run several full marathons. I'll give you my experience with hard training and having babies:

1. Your body changes a LOT while pregnant and then a LOT in other ways after giving birth. Some women can recover quickly, others it takes a long time. My body after giving birth feels completely different. My first runs feel like an out of body experience almost. My hips and knees are all out of wack because everything has moved to accommodate the baby and the birthing process. Even when I started running only 2 weeks after my last baby, it took at least a month and a half for those runs to feel normal again. The general consensus is that it takes a woman's body a full YEAR for her body to get back to normal. Even if you feel and look normal, there is still a lot of changes going on with your body after birth.

2. Then there is the sleep issue. Trust me, if you can sleep, sleep! Maybe her baby will be a fantastic sleeper, maybe it will suffer from colic and she won't sleep for months.

3. Nursing is a factor too. If she plans to nurse she needs to think carefully about how training will affect her milk supply, and if she can fuel and hydrate enough for both training and feeding the baby.

4. She then needs to consider attachment: will her and the baby be ok with leaving for hours at a time to complete that long bike ride, run ect.?

As a mom I NEED the time to do my workouts and pursue my goals to keep my sanity. However, a lot of that is on hold when I have an infant. Physically and mentally, a new baby is exhausting .I am not trying to discourage her. It's NOT an impossibility but is it wise? There is just a lot to consider and a lot that can happen when it comes to babies and birthing. There is no sense physically or mentally in rushing back into training when you have an infant. Your babies are only babies once and then it's gone. If all goes well, the training causes less stress instead of more, and her and baby are thriving, great! If not, she will need to reevaluate her goals.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

70.3 Training Plan Hours?? Pages: 1 2

Started by mramazon0822
Views: 5437 Posts: 36

2012-03-01 10:28 AM jbahjj

p90x and 70.3 training?

Started by hornjs
Views: 2218 Posts: 16

2010-01-31 4:11 PM krisko

70.3 training question

Started by davidson3
Views: 859 Posts: 5

2009-09-29 4:54 PM Skippy74

70.3 Training

Started by menglish1
Views: 1184 Posts: 13

2009-08-10 12:05 PM menglish1

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4823 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.