Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Lake Side Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-31 9:28 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: Lake Side
Ok I have more or less been out of triathlons the last two years since starting a new job and having a daughter. I kind of have my butt in gear and had a solid month. I am thinking of doing lakeside. Never done it before.

I am scared as crap as I am not at my old weight or ability. I was already slow and fat in this sport. Last sprint tri was 91 mins long for me. I am slower now having had running issues for two years. But safely running 4-5km now twice a week.

Will there be wetsuits allowed at this race? or is it too warm? If I am so slow that will be near the bottom of the list for finishing can I still wear a wetsuit anyway or is that a DQ?

I have swam 3 times in the last few months and I plan on getting in 2-3 swims a week for the next few weeks. Solid bike base and just muster up a slower 35 min run.

John are you able to answer this?

2015-08-31 9:45 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

, Ontario
Subject: RE: Lake Side
With John being so helpful and active on this site, I expect he will chirp in. In case he is too busy, I'll jump in as well. I did the Lakeside event last year for the first time. A few days before it was cold out and the time was moved an hour so it would be warmer. It looked like it would be wetsuit required (causing me to panic and buy a wetsuit online as I didn't have one), although I don't think it worked out that way. The water was reasonable for either a non-wetsuit or wetsuit use. The air was chilly in the morning - less than 15 celcius. Almost everyone if not everyone had a wetsuit. The lake is so small it is a good choice if you haven't swum much as I can't imagine it would get very choppy and it doesn't have the same "fear" factor that a large lake might have for some. I just signed up again in the last couple of days to squeeze in another tri before the end of the season. Good luck with your decision, but hope you go for it.
2015-08-31 9:51 AM

User image

I haven't been to a race in Ontario yet that wouldn't allow wetsuits. I believe the usual cutoff is that if the water is about 76 F, it is a non-wetsuit race. That doesn't mean that you won't be allowed to wear one. It just means that you won't get a medal if you are in the top three and wore a wetsuit.

I wouldn't worry about being slow. The MSC triathlons are very inclusive and welcome all participants, no matter the speed.

Good luck
2015-08-31 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: ---

Edited by b2run 2015-08-31 9:52 AM
2015-09-01 6:38 AM

Veteran
London, Ontario
Hey Spanky,

As someone else on this thread has said we make sure everyone has a good time and is safe. In this case it would mean allowing you to wear a wetsuit, even if it was a non wetsuit swim. In this case you would not be eligible for any awards. I hope that helps.

I will be at our new race in Georgina that weekend but please do say hello at another race next year.
2015-09-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: John Salt

User image

Chatham Ontario
Thanks everyone.

I knew you would chime in John. Funny how a guy that was rather large and got into triathlon to lose weight. Did them for 4 seasons and then stopped with my daughter and job is afraid to jump back in a little.

I think it is time to sign up and commit. I am not worried about my time. I am not an age grouper. I just needed a goal to get me back into working out. I have had the goal in the back of my head and made major progress in 5 weeks.

Bummer you are not going to be there John, but excited that you keep growing the races and sport. Was sad when I found our one local triathlon was a no go this year. This is about the next localish event at the end of season.

Time to pull the trigger while I have another friend going and some friends doing a relay on the next day.

2015-09-14 6:48 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
So quick update. I busted out my wetsuit. And a lot of my tri gear after a 2.5 year hiatus from triathlons.

Between a divorce, new job new relationship, 2 step kids and daughter who turns 2 in 1.5 weeks and a lot of knee pain from an injury that took me out of running when my daughter was 2 weeks old. I haven't done much working out. I gained a solid 30 lbs which for a short guy like me is a lot. In the last 6-7 weeks I pulled it together. I was able to do short 3km runs. Back on the bike with no issues doing 50-70 km rides and out doing 1000-1500 meter pool swims. I knew my running was weak but I needed a goal. And I have always wanted to do one of John's and his teams events.

Well I finally did. I went and pulled off Lakeside on Saturday and for me I had a good swim. A decent bike ride, darn hills, we don't have those were I live. And I blew up on the run. But with what little running base I have I will take it because I didn't have an oz of knee pain. And I did get to hear my Fiance and my daughter cheering me on. And yes if you saw me at the finish line I cried a little crossing the line then shook the hand of the MS official at the end of the line.

First off. WOW what a great event. Great volunteers, great set up. Easy to figure out where to go what to do. Great for spectators with all the signs and direction provided my better half knew where to stand and where to expect me. I can't say enough for how well run this event was. I had a few other friends in the event and they said all the same things. Very well run event, great people and just an overall great time. My friend who is a moderator on here went up and did the relay oly on the sunday and her first time at a MS race. Similar thoughts.

Wish you guys put on more stuff down this way in Southern Ontario. Great job to all of your team John and glad I finally made it to an event and finally made a return to triathlon. Already thinking of next season and which one to do.

I am not fast by any means. But I get out there and do it so that I won't ever be the 290 lb guy I once was. And so I can show my step kids and my daughter that it is important to have a healthy lifestyle. Much easier to have this from the start then wait until you are 35 years old to start.

Thank you so much Multisport Canada Team and John who always remains active here.

2015-09-14 7:54 AM

, Ontario
Congrats! I also enjoyed Lake Side yesterday (once I got started and got over my worry about the cold). I agree that it was well run and organized. My family commented on the improved cheering and support even than last year (my first MS event was the same tri last year). I love the bike / tag security system. I don't know if anyone was fast yesterday - I didn't mind the hills, but the wind was more than I would ever bike in on a training day. It was a great event!
2015-09-14 9:34 AM

Veteran
London, Ontario
Hey Chris,

Thanks for your kind words and positive comments, I appreciate it. I am sorry I was not there to shake your hand at the Finish. I was at our inaugural race in Georgina. I hope you are back to race with us next year and I get the chance to meet you.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Lake Side Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

East side riders start this saturday

Started by tabbs
Views: 1246 Posts: 7

2010-03-12 3:02 PM tabbs

East Side Riders

Started by ff_jeff
Views: 2678 Posts: 15

2009-08-24 9:25 AM ff_jeff

East Side Riders - Group Rides (Tecumseh)

Started by Silver_wlf
Views: 2475 Posts: 8

2009-11-01 9:10 AM Overkll

East Side Riders Bike shirts

Started by tabbs
Views: 1644 Posts: 11

2009-09-19 9:29 AM Time2_triatri

East Side Riders - weekly rides from Tecumseh

Started by tabbs
Views: 1251 Posts: 2

2009-04-28 6:40 AM Kats I
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.