United States
Racing Underground
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 3s
Overall Rank = 147/247
Age Group = 40-44 M
Age Group Rank = 26/29
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed kind of late, alarm went off at 5AM, in the car by 5:30 AM, had half a cup of coffee and a Luna bar during the 45 minute drive in. Set up transition and used the port-o-let
Event warmup:

Headed down tot he water for a couple of quick bobs and then walked up to the start and warmed up the shoulders with arm swings.
Swim
  • 22m 38s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Long run/walk from the start point to the water. Once in the water, I got going pretty smooth. I started near the back, but quickly found a rhythm and open water on the outside.
What would you do differently?:

Mentally though through a run to and from the water, possibly running on grass instead of tentative walking on the concrete.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I typically get stuck in my heels. Overall the transition was pretty smooth. Helmet on, shoes on, and I did not fiddle with gloves or any other stuff.

Only bring one water bottle out on the bike and even that only needs to be half full. Consider buoyancy shorts instead of a wetsuit. I am getting better at tolerating the cold, but really like the sense of security that neoprene provides.
Bike
  • 52m 41s
  • 20 kms
  • 22.78 km/hr
Comments:

I thought I was keeping a steady pace on the bike, but I was being passed like crazy. I only caught a few people. I had a false sense of security as the course starts off downhill. I was in a good rhythm on the hills, but did not have confident legs under me.

Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I was pleased with this transition. I need to think about practicing transitions and flying starts and jumping off a moving bike. Although it would not have made a difference this week. I could save at least a minute off of each transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 38s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off at a sustainable pace after stopping by the port-o-let right out of transition. I caught a few people on the run and was passed by a few as well. Nobody passed me in the last half mile.

I need to consider running with a hand held water bottle even for short events. I want to drink every 5 minutes or so.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

Another great race put on by Racing Underground. Well organized, well supported, safe, and fun. Great sponsors including Campus Cycles. Food from Noodles & Company was pretty good and service was quick. Lots of my friends participated including a contingency from the Arvada Triathlon Club.

Last updated: 2015-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:38 | 750 meters | 03m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/29
Overall: 124/247
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex Sleeveless
Course: Clockwise square with 2 sighting buoys and 2 turn bouys
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:41 | 20 kms | 22.78 km/hr
Age Group: 28/29
Overall: 191/247
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a few turns in the first and last mile, but otherwise a straight shot with rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 64
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:38 | 03.5 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/29
Overall: 139/247
Performance: Good
Course: Loop course with mixture of hard pack gravel and concrete. Rolling with no really steep hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-31 4:30 PM

User image

Arvada
Subject: My Way or the Tri Way - Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My Way or the Tri Way - Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kenora Borealis Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Course

Started by dramaqueenjs
Views: 791 Posts: 2

2015-07-21 8:57 AM juniperjen

Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Distance

Started by mgalanter
Views: 1406 Posts: 1

2009-06-26 11:49 AM mgalanter

Started by Dr.Cox
Views: 1211 Posts: 1

2007-09-18 7:16 PM Dr.Cox

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1574 Posts: 4

2006-09-05 4:04 PM Elly

Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-a-tri

Started by pderbyshire
Views: 2779 Posts: 1

2006-09-03 5:35 PM pderbyshire
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.