General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike - what am I doing wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-01 6:18 AM

User image

Subject: Bike - what am I doing wrong?
I've done several Triathlons a year since 2010, including 2 IMs. My question is, how can I get faster on the bike, am I missing something? I just can not get above 25klms average road speed. I ride about 3 times a week for one to two hours a session but simply ride, no drills.

I'm looking for a training plan with drills that would help me improve during the winter (It would have to be all on my trainer as I live in S.Ontario)

2015-09-01 6:21 AM
in reply to: pfd104

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bike - what am I doing wrong?
2015-09-01 6:29 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Do those 3 rides include intervals that make you want to vomit?They should.
2015-09-01 6:56 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If you want to get fast you have to spend time riding hard!

It sounds like you are putting in an equivalent of about 30 to 60 miles a week. That's not a lot of mile if you training for anything over a sprint. Put more T.I.T.S. and go hard more often.
2015-09-01 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Too many people spend the winter muddling through doing easy workouts rather than building strength on the bike. Check out the BT gold 8 week winter maintenance BIKE focus plan or the 16 week winter bike program also found on BT. The 16 week program has options for using either HR or power to structure workouts.  Good luck

2015-09-01 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by pfd104

I've done several Triathlons a year since 2010, including 2 IMs. My question is, how can I get faster on the bike, am I missing something? I just can not get above 25klms average road speed. I ride about 3 times a week for one to two hours a session but simply ride, no drills.

I'm looking for a training plan with drills that would help me improve during the winter (It would have to be all on my trainer as I live in S.Ontario)

Simply ride? What intensity level?

Where most triathletes get trapped is riding in a "black hole" every ride. They never take it easy, and because of it they never go hard. I could expand on this a lot but its not so much the drills that will help you as the approach to each of your rides that will. The only help drills will give you IMO, is doing ones that allow for you to ride well at a variety of RPM's

Adding in intervals and learning to go real easy will help improve your performance. Also expose yourself to routes that will challenge you i.e hills. You'll see a boost in performance and then after awhile you might plateau again, the you just need to get more detailed and specific in your training.

Right now you are riding 3x per week for 3 hours, adjust for something like this

Ride 1
Aerobic easy ride, keep this at a high cadence 90+, add in some spins to 100-110+ for 20-30 seconds at a time. Ride the rest very easy.

RIde 2
Intervals, go 10 minutes worth of intervals, then build to 15, then 20 etc. Pick the duration of your intervals and just add on time or the number of intervals. Make them max effort or very close to. The closer you get to races, match the interval intensity of race intensity to just above. Also think about dropping your cadence to 65-75 for those intervals and working on strength, or climbing hill repeats.

Ride 3
Easy ride again, but have terrain dictate your intensity. Learn to ride hills efficiently, make turns without losing speed, etc.

2015-09-01 7:24 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Too many people spend the winter muddling through doing easy workouts rather than building strength on the bike. Check out the BT gold 8 week winter maintenance BIKE focus plan or the 16 week winter bike program also found on BT. The 16 week program has options for using either HR or power to structure workouts.  Good luck

OP, the 16 week bike power program mentioned above is included with the Maximum Trainer software, (may also be in Trainer Road) so if you have the means to use a trainer that is supported by the program (along with ANT+ pickups) you can train using virtual power and there will be no question that you will get 10-15% faster after one session.  I've used it several times and went from low-mid 20mph to upper 22-mid 23mph after one year.

2015-09-01 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have done two things that have really helped me.

1) I joined a cycling club where most of the riders are faster than me. Trying to stay with them forces me to ride hard for the whole ride, generally 35-50 miles. It has also allowed to watch the gearing that really strong riders use and when they shift. It was almost always sooner than I was. They do draft which was something I did have to learn to do. The other issue is NO tri bikes. I ride my road bike that day.

2) I have been taking some hard spin classes. Yesterday I got into the room early (it's a 6:00am class so no one using the bikes before then) and logged 16 miles before the class started. This instructor does a lot of climbing in her class, mostly working on power. By the end of the class I had 40 miles in. The key is it is all non-stop. No downhills, no coasting. It was a process to find the right instructors however. The two I like focus on entirely different things. This one is always power. The other prefers intervals. The rest of the instructors I have tried once and won't go back. Too easy and of no value to helping me advance.

In the past six months I have picked my training rides from the high 18 mph to just over 20 mph. In two weeks I will see how it translates to a race. Just a couple of ideas that may help.

Good luck.
2015-09-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by pfd104 I've done several Triathlons a year since 2010, including 2 IMs. My question is, how can I get faster on the bike, am I missing something? I just can not get above 25klms average road speed. I ride about 3 times a week for one to two hours a session but simply ride, no drills. I'm looking for a training plan with drills that would help me improve during the winter (It would have to be all on my trainer as I live in S.Ontario)
Simply ride? What intensity level? Where most triathletes get trapped is riding in a "black hole" every ride. They never take it easy, and because of it they never go hard. I could expand on this a lot but its not so much the drills that will help you as the approach to each of your rides that will. The only help drills will give you IMO, is doing ones that allow for you to ride well at a variety of RPM's Adding in intervals and learning to go real easy will help improve your performance. Also expose yourself to routes that will challenge you i.e hills. You'll see a boost in performance and then after awhile you might plateau again, the you just need to get more detailed and specific in your training. Right now you are riding 3x per week for 3 hours, adjust for something like this Ride 1 Aerobic easy ride, keep this at a high cadence 90+, add in some spins to 100-110+ for 20-30 seconds at a time. Ride the rest very easy. RIde 2 Intervals, go 10 minutes worth of intervals, then build to 15, then 20 etc. Pick the duration of your intervals and just add on time or the number of intervals. Make them max effort or very close to. The closer you get to races, match the interval intensity of race intensity to just above. Also think about dropping your cadence to 65-75 for those intervals and working on strength, or climbing hill repeats. Ride 3 Easy ride again, but have terrain dictate your intensity. Learn to ride hills efficiently, make turns without losing speed, etc.

Ben, he mentions he's looking for something to do in the winter on the trainer.  Does that change your advice?  

2015-09-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by TriMyBest Do those 3 rides include intervals that make you want to vomit?They should.

This.

The thing that helped me more than anything was doing hard intervals during at least one of my weekly rides.  Started doing it after watching an old Chris Carmichael video on TT training.   If you really push yourself and do it consistently you'll get faster.

I also do some hard sprints towards the end of almost all of my rides before I start my cool down.  I put on my Mark Cavandish face and sprint as hard as I can to the next telephone pole, sign, intersection, etc.  

Mark

2015-09-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Not really.

Its September first so can still get in 2 months of outdoor riding and see plenty of improvements, 6-8 weeks is enough time to train and see adaptions before the stimulus needs to be changed, so its lines up well. The one thing I would change is if you want to do a true bike focus block to add in 2 days of intervals and make one day easy, such as day 1 as I listed. Again this is going off the 3 days of 2 hours riding each time. The intervals don't need to be fancy, at his level just riding hard such as 5x3, then 6x3, etc will net improvements.

The only thing to really change is that you can't do hills inside, well at least be on a hill, so again going back to low RPM big gear work will be fine.

I have never been a believer in drills on the bike and really never seen any evidence to back it up that says its beneficial. But working on areas such as strength (big gear work), developing the ability to ride efficiently through a wide range of cadences, etc will help.

Edited by bcagle25 2015-09-01 10:21 AM

2015-09-01 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by pfd104 I've done several Triathlons a year since 2010, including 2 IMs. My question is, how can I get faster on the bike, am I missing something? I just can not get above 25klms average road speed. I ride about 3 times a week for one to two hours a session but simply ride, no drills. I'm looking for a training plan with drills that would help me improve during the winter (It would have to be all on my trainer as I live in S.Ontario)
Simply ride? What intensity level? Where most triathletes get trapped is riding in a "black hole" every ride. They never take it easy, and because of it they never go hard. I could expand on this a lot but its not so much the drills that will help you as the approach to each of your rides that will. The only help drills will give you IMO, is doing ones that allow for you to ride well at a variety of RPM's Adding in intervals and learning to go real easy will help improve your performance. Also expose yourself to routes that will challenge you i.e hills. You'll see a boost in performance and then after awhile you might plateau again, the you just need to get more detailed and specific in your training. Right now you are riding 3x per week for 3 hours, adjust for something like this Ride 1 Aerobic easy ride, keep this at a high cadence 90+, add in some spins to 100-110+ for 20-30 seconds at a time. Ride the rest very easy. RIde 2 Intervals, go 10 minutes worth of intervals, then build to 15, then 20 etc. Pick the duration of your intervals and just add on time or the number of intervals. Make them max effort or very close to. The closer you get to races, match the interval intensity of race intensity to just above. Also think about dropping your cadence to 65-75 for those intervals and working on strength, or climbing hill repeats. Ride 3 Easy ride again, but have terrain dictate your intensity. Learn to ride hills efficiently, make turns without losing speed, etc.

This rings as FAR too easy to see improvement.  Ride 3-4 times a week, as much as you can, ride hard.  With that little riding you don't need any easy rides.  Yes you can do intervals if you like them...but I made a ton of improvement for years without every doing intervals.  I just went out and rode my a$$ off.  Then once I was fast enough, I rode with roadies and tried for dear life to hang on.  Then when I got good enough there, I rode my a$$ off to try and beat them up every hill. 

Just ride hard and you get faster.

2015-09-01 12:26 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by dmiller5

This rings as FAR too easy to see improvement.  Ride 3-4 times a week, as much as you can, ride hard.  With that little riding you don't need any easy rides.  Yes you can do intervals if you like them...but I made a ton of improvement for years without every doing intervals.  I just went out and rode my a$$ off.  Then once I was fast enough, I rode with roadies and tried for dear life to hang on.  Then when I got good enough there, I rode my a$$ off to try and beat them up every hill. 

You were riding intervals with the roadies.  

Intervals are the quickest known way to improve.

2015-09-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Of course I was doing intervals....technically everything is an interval right?  You can do a 1x60min in zone 2 if you wanted.  My point was that at the speed this guy is going, it isn't necessary to have some specific interval plan.  He just needs to go ride as hard as he can, as often as he can, and as far as he can.

2015-09-01 1:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Of course I was doing intervals....technically everything is an interval right?  You can do a 1x60min in zone 2 if you wanted.  My point was that at the speed this guy is going, it isn't necessary to have some specific interval plan.  He just needs to go ride as hard as he can, as often as he can, and as far as he can.

I actually never gave a specific interval plan, and I wouldn't recommend any for this type of athlete. Just ride hard, rest, ride hard again. But allow for enough rest to truly ride hard, not that "I'm kinda riding hard, but not really pushing myself, so I'll stick out here in the middle of no hands land hard".

I gave recommendations based on what he has to work with, and actually noted that he is probably doing the "black hole" riding of never going easy enough when needed which in turn never lets him go as hard as he can/needs to when going hard.

There is also a thing called sustainability with training. Riding hard all the time, or giving someone that recommendation without really know much, if anything, about them isn't the place I would start. Now if I knew more about them; background, goals, lifestyle, etc. that I could give a better enducated decision if that might be a proper way to train.

What if this person works 12 hours a day 5 days a week? I certainly would see value in riding easy one day to get improvement, riding hard after that 3-4x a week might not be the most sustainable plan. The tough part with amateur athletes is that a lot more needs to be taken into consideration when developing a training plan then just the hours put in training.

Edited by bcagle25 2015-09-01 1:11 PM
2015-09-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Donto

OP, the 16 week bike power program mentioned above is included with the Maximum Trainer software, (may also be in Trainer Road) so if you have the means to use a trainer that is supported by the program (along with ANT+ pickups) you can train using virtual power and there will be no question that you will get 10-15% faster after one session.  I've used it several times and went from low-mid 20mph to upper 22-mid 23mph after one year.

Donto

I am getting a 404 error on that maximumtrainer link...

2015-09-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

Donto I am getting a 404 error on that maximumtrainer link...
Weird, try this link instead, with https it seems to work right now.

2015-09-01 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I actually never gave a specific interval plan, and I wouldn't recommend any for this type of athlete. Just ride hard, rest, ride hard again. But allow for enough rest to truly ride hard, not that "I'm kinda riding hard, but not really pushing myself, so I'll stick out here in the middle of no hands land hard". I gave recommendations based on what he has to work with, and actually noted that he is probably doing the "black hole" riding of never going easy enough when needed which in turn never lets him go as hard as he can/needs to when going hard. There is also a thing called sustainability with training. Riding hard all the time, or giving someone that recommendation without really know much, if anything, about them isn't the place I would start. Now if I knew more about them; background, goals, lifestyle, etc. that I could give a better enducated decision if that might be a proper way to train. What if this person works 12 hours a day 5 days a week? I certainly would see value in riding easy one day to get improvement, riding hard after that 3-4x a week might not be the most sustainable plan. The tough part with amateur athletes is that a lot more needs to be taken into consideration when developing a training plan then just the hours put in training.

Well said, Ben.

Dave, I forgot to mention in my other post that I actually have a training session that I like to give athletes that is pretty much what you described.  It's "HR Zone 2 with Hill Attacks".  Like Ben mentioned, there are a lot of situations where I prefer not to give specific intervals, because it can be mind numbing and suck the joy out of riding, and all my athletes are AGer's who do it for fun.  By sending them out on an easy ride with the direction to attack the hills, they can have a lot of fun while getting a nice balance of easy and hard intervals.

2015-09-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Originally posted by triosaurus

Donto I am getting a 404 error on that maximumtrainer link...
Weird, try this link instead, with https it seems to work right now.

That works now

2015-09-02 8:53 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
TrainerRoad. That's all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike - what am I doing wrong? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart rate question - am i doing it wrong?

Started by salma
Views: 1025 Posts: 7

2006-01-31 4:50 PM Global

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 999 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2930 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1892 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1514 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"