General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Padding on bike seat or in shorts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-02 12:04 AM

Subject: Padding on bike seat or in shorts?
It seems to be accepted fact that we require some padding between out backside and our bike saddle. My questions is: why not just put a pad on the bike seat? We don't need that extra girth on our swim or our run. Why not just wear a form-fitting swim suit? I understand that the pad will add extra weight to the bike, but that weight would be there in our shorts anyway, and would also be with us in the swim and in the run. Can someone explain why it is a better idea to wear a tri suit (or tri shorts) and carry that extra padding with us through the whole event rather than wrapping it around our bike seat?
Thank you for your response(s).

2015-09-02 6:03 AM
in reply to: sonofjay99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Padding on bike seat or in shorts?

I use minimal padding in both shorts and bike saddle.  People think they need more padding than they really do.  I just use the thin chamois with my shorts and tri suit.

Desoto makes a padded cover that works really well from my understanding.

2015-09-02 6:32 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In my experience it's less a matter of how much padding one has or whether it's on the seat or the saddle than whether there's a good match between bike, fit, saddle, shorts, and butt. I'm not an awesome cyclist and don't log huge miles on the bike but have done my share of long tours, sometimes on rental bikes. Some of the worst chafing I've experienced has been with thickly padded shorts where the padding just seemed to be in the wrong place, or with a rental bike whose saddle, while soft enough, just didn't work for my body. OTOH last year I did a two-week bike tour in Sri Lanka almost entirely in my tri suit (owing to really wet weather--I couldn't get my regular shorts to dry overnight, and happened to have the tri-suit along to use as modest swimwear) with no chafing/discomfort whatsoever. I was on a rental hybrid that had the least "soft" saddle (more like a typical road saddle) that no one else wanted. It worked well for me, though. It really is a matter of getting a good fit and finding the saddle and shorts that work best for your body.
2015-09-02 6:35 AM

User image

I don't find that padding makes much difference. My butt gets sore after a long distance whether I've got padding or not. As far as the swim suit vs tri shorts, the reason I wear tri shorts is because they are more comfortable on the bike and run. The swim suit seems to rub more and not feel as nice. There is a tiny bit of padding on the tri shorts. I don't think it helps much.
2015-09-02 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I do pretty well with what GMAN said...to a point.

Up to a 70.3 , I can get away with a tri suit style chamois....and a semi-firm saddle such as Adamo Prologue.

But pretty sure longer than that is when it starts hurting a lot, so a regular pair of cycling shorts with a generous chamois is what I use.
(and lots of lube)
2015-09-02 9:02 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by sonofjay99 It seems to be accepted fact that we require some padding between out backside and our bike saddle. My questions is: why not just put a pad on the bike seat? We don't need that extra girth on our swim or our run. Why not just wear a form-fitting swim suit? I understand that the pad will add extra weight to the bike, but that weight would be there in our shorts anyway, and would also be with us in the swim and in the run. Can someone explain why it is a better idea to wear a tri suit (or tri shorts) and carry that extra padding with us through the whole event rather than wrapping it around our bike seat? Thank you for your response(s).

Nope...padding is not required at all.  I do my cycling in a Speedo Jammer swimsuit. It works well for swimming , cycling, and runner.  I have done hundreds of miles on the bike with it and never wished I had padding.  

In the colder month I cycle with my Asics running tights.  I likewise have put tons of bike mile in wearing them.  They likewise don't have padding.  There is no way I would ever swim in the running tights, but they work well for cycling and running in cold weather.  :-)

If you don't train with padding you adapt to be comfortable on the bike with out it.   If you train with padding you don't make that adaptation which leaves you with fewer options on race day. 

2015-09-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Hot Runner In my experience it's less a matter of how much padding one has or whether it's on the seat or the saddle than whether there's a good match between bike, fit, saddle, shorts, and butt.  

It really is a matter of getting a good fit and finding the saddle and shorts that work best for your body.

This is all true, and lots of people have a poor match between bike, fit, saddle, shorts, and butt.

It is my opinion that too often people stick with the stock saddle "just because" and combine that with overly padded shorts.  It's a good idea to try different saddles to get the right shape for your particular body.  Same for shorts.  And the riding position makes a huge difference.

I started road cycling in 2002 and triathlons in 2003, adding a tri bike in 2007.  After much trial and error and (time in the saddle), I've found what works for me.I ride a Selle Italia saddle on my road bike and fairly heavily padded Pearl Izumi shorts and I'm comfortable.  On the tri bike, I ride a Fizik Arione Tri saddle (much firmer than the road saddle) along with thinly padded tri shorts, and I'm comfortable.  Tri shorts on the road bike are not padded enough for the seating position and saddle, and the road shorts on the tri saddle will chafe like crazy in the aero position on that saddle.

2015-09-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

As for the question about why pad the butt and not the shorts - I think it has to do with where the padding goes.  The shorts padding wraps around your anatomy, while the padding in the saddle is fixed.     Padding is a really personal thing and it may be that you could devise something for your seat that would work. The majority of padded bike seats on the market are far too wide and for a different type of more upright rider, so if you wanted to pursue this I would work on a custom option.  

2015-09-02 1:06 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

I need padding and love it. < 3 hrs tri shorts are fine, > 3 hrs DeSoto 400's all day
2015-09-03 4:26 PM
in reply to: GAkin

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I think it's simply building up endurance - just like it takes a while to develop a strong cardiovascular system, it takes a while for that region to get accustomed to pressure that isn't usually there.

I once thought that 'more is better' in terms of padding, but over the years have gone in the opposite direction. This off season I picked up a Dash saddle - essentially carbon fiber with leather over it. I took a while to adjust to it, but used a very minimal pad in my tri suit (PI Octane) in a recent ironman, and didn't once during the ride experience any discomfort. I might add that using some good chamois cream goes a long way!
2015-09-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

I agree with the bike saddle/butt fit. I started riding with compression shorts no padding 3 years ago and have never ridden with padded shorts. 8k miles of training and racing later I have never tired padded shorts. I keep thinking I should try them but I have never had an issue with my existing setup...

That being said it is personal choice based on how you feel on the bike. The padding goes in the shorts to be able to move with you. A padded seat is not going to move with you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Padding on bike seat or in shorts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Padded seat vs padded shorts

Started by aliddle9876
Views: 4912 Posts: 13

2013-04-08 1:13 PM DanielG

Tri / bike shorts - pad absorbs water?

Started by Knosaj
Views: 774 Posts: 3

2012-03-31 7:08 AM Oysterboy

Why have padded shorts when you can have a padded seat?

Started by GreenMtnLabbit
Views: 2774 Posts: 21

2012-03-15 12:03 PM Lock_N_Load

Bike Short Padding Preferences

Started by SweetK
Views: 658 Posts: 5

2006-11-11 11:51 AM betyoursilver

Bike Seat Gel Pad

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 835 Posts: 3

2005-02-21 11:49 PM Krakatoa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Bicep Curl – Alternating Dumbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Seated Crunch-Twist strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video