General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shorter rest between intervals or faster intervals...or both? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-02 8:37 AM

, Tennessee
Subject: shorter rest between intervals or faster intervals...or both?
I am getting back into the pool and triathalon after a 3 year hiatus. I am still in good cardio shape since I have been doing a lot of half and full marathons in those three years.I have been back to swimming for about two months, 3x a week, between 1000-2000 yards each session. I have noticed improvement in my swim fitness in that I can do more intervals (sets of 50s and 100s) and decrease the rest time between them. I used to need about a minute between each interval but now I can decrease the rest period to 25-35 seconds. I am still horribly slow compared to most people here still. My 50s are at a 2:00/100 yd pace, my 100s are 2:10-2:15/100 yd pace and my 25s are 1:45/100 yd pace.

I know I need to work on form. Hiring a coach isn't going to happen right now. There are none in the area where I live and I can't afford it anyway right now. I might be able to get some professional help this winter when we move but not until then. I am doing my best with form drills and internet videos on my own. I can only get in the pool as much as I am now, the closest pool is 25-30 minutes away.

My question is, how can I get a little faster? Should I try to continue to decrease the rest periods between my intervals or should I try to do those intervals faster? Or should I focus on faster intervals one session, and decreased rest periods on another session?

2015-09-02 8:42 AM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: shorter rest between intervals or faster intervals...or both?
Originally posted by turnip13

I am getting back into the pool and triathalon after a 3 year hiatus. I am still in good cardio shape since I have been doing a lot of half and full marathons in those three years.I have been back to swimming for about two months, 3x a week, between 1000-2000 yards each session. I have noticed improvement in my swim fitness in that I can do more intervals (sets of 50s and 100s) and decrease the rest time between them. I used to need about a minute between each interval but now I can decrease the rest period to 25-35 seconds. I am still horribly slow compared to most people here still. My 50s are at a 2:00/100 yd pace, my 100s are 2:10-2:15/100 yd pace and my 25s are 1:45/100 yd pace.

I know I need to work on form. Hiring a coach isn't going to happen right now. There are none in the area where I live and I can't afford it anyway right now. I might be able to get some professional help this winter when we move but not until then. I am doing my best with form drills and internet videos on my own. I can only get in the pool as much as I am now, the closest pool is 25-30 minutes away.

My question is, how can I get a little faster? Should I try to continue to decrease the rest periods between my intervals or should I try to do those intervals faster? Or should I focus on faster intervals one session, and decreased rest periods on another session?

Take a look at this

http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/5d4e6d83-ceaf-498c-88...

http://swimming.about.com/od/swimworkouts/a/aerobicswimpace.htm

• Minimum Endurance Pace (EN1) - almost any distance, with very low rest (less than :30 seconds) between repeats, swum at a sustainable, fairly easy pace. This kind of work set takes 15 to 60 minutes (or more). It helps to build base yardage and promotes recovery. An example: 6 x 500 yards at EN1 pace with :15 seconds rest between repeats or 6 x 500 @ :15 rest, EN1 pace.
• Threshold Endurance Pace (EN2) - usually distances less than 500 yards with up to :60 seconds rest between repeats, swum at a pace faster than EN1 (we'll look at how much faster a little bit later). This type of set take between 20 and 45 (or more) minutes to complete and should increase your ability to perform aerobic work without causing a build-up of waste products in the muscles, but should still be followed by a day of easy work to restore muscle glycogen stores. An example: 8 x 175 @ :20 rest, EN2 pace.
• VO2Max Endurance Pace (EN3) - usually distances less than 300 yards with rest somewhere between :20 seconds up to a time equal to the amount of work completed (a 1:1 work to rest ratio) at a pace faster than both EN1 and EN2 (be patient - we'll get to it). You will probably not be able to hold this pace for much longer than 30 minutes. This kind of work can simulate the same overall affects of a race. It's very hard work and should also be followed by some type of recovery workout to restore muscle glycogen stores. An example: 8 x 100 @ :45 rest, EN3 pace.

2015-09-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: marcag

, Tennessee
This is all very helpful, thank you! I tried my first VO2 max workout in the pool today. My interval lengths are still much shorter since I am a true beginner (think 75s and 50s rather than 200s) but I guess I have to start somewhere right? It looks like I structure the swim training in a similar way to my running training with a mix of workouts. I guess I was just hesitant to swim lots of endurance building laps since I have also read that just swimming endless laps is not helpful, but he way the workouts in those links are structured makes sense. I guess I can do one endurance workout, one LT workout and one VO2 max workout a week? .
2015-09-04 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
to make it super simple, I like this

http://www.amazon.ca/Swim-Workouts-Triathletes-Practical-Endurance/...

edit : wrong link

Edited by marcag 2015-09-04 8:54 AM
2015-09-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
A variety is always good.

I've done 100's with 5 seconds of rest and 100's with rest that equals the time of the 100.

The short rest intervals are done at a pace that is pretty sustainable for something like a straight 500 or 600 while the pace for the real long rest 100's is very close to you 'all out' 100 time.

To the OP: I started as an AOS (Adult Onset Swimmer) about six years ago, and it was tough getting through 1000 yards. This season I was able to set PR's in the 200, 400, 500 and 1000 and am able to swim 1:25 100 yards intervals on a 15" rest for a long duration. It's taken lots of training and putting in a swim focus two winters ago (around 70,000 yards a month for four months) that has really helped.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shorter rest between intervals or faster intervals...or both? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swim intervals vs. run or bike intervals

Started by LarchmontTri
Views: 1288 Posts: 4

2014-03-05 9:48 AM LarchmontTri

Track Intervals and Pace Intervals?

Started by crmorton
Views: 2051 Posts: 7

2011-02-02 1:36 PM crmorton

Rest between swim intervals

Started by KarmannGhia
Views: 1906 Posts: 16

2010-03-04 7:04 AM cxk9758

Rest intervals in swim training

Started by mammatri's
Views: 1574 Posts: 9

2009-03-22 5:41 AM rottieguy

Resting between Swim Intervals Pages: 1 2

Started by mbmoran2
Views: 3022 Posts: 46

2008-04-30 10:09 PM surfwallace
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 7, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Intervals help a runner manage the intensity and learn to push at a pace that’s out of their comfort zone. Learn these five intervals with example workouts.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : September 18, 2007
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on finishing your pull and again, hip rotation.

date : August 18, 2007
This month, drills make up about 20% of each workout, and we’re introducing intervals. The focus will be on extending your stroke and hip rotation.
date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 6, 2006
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.