General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed my first spin class, and.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-03 3:38 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Completed my first spin class, and....
Guys... I have just completed my first spin class, and I want to say - triathlon is NOTHING comparing to this 30 minutes of hard core!!
haha
It feels great! And I can imagine it will help a lot but mannnn.... what a workout...

It also made me feel so much better about myself (my fitness condition) as I did 13 miles in 35 minutes, while my first triathlon 10 miles was 36 minutes. So it looks like I am capable of doing better.

Best to everyone!
Mary

2015-09-03 4:51 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Completed my first spin class, and....

Awesome!

Spin classes can be a great way to build cycling fitness.  Use the resistance to ride hard on the intervals, and skip the silly 130 rpm "sprints", "jumps", and push ups on the bars.

Also, ignore the "distance" the bike tells you, other than trying to increase how "far" you ride in a session over the course of weeks and months.  It's unlikely to equate to outdoor riding distance.

2015-09-03 9:01 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
As a spin instructor, I can say that my classes have done wonders for my bike fitness. I only ride outside on the weekends and all of my weekly bike time is in class. Of course I teach anywhere from 4-8 classes but if you do it right and have a good instructor, it can increase your bike fitness tremendously! Any instructor that does "isolations", crazy rpm over 110 with no resistance, popcorn jumps or any other contraindicated movement isn't going to help your fitness and could actually hurt you. Look for ones that are cyclists/triathletes themselves or have a sound knowledge of physiology and biomechanics !

Just a side...depending on what type of bike you use, the milage on the computers is "fake" milage and only takes into consideration the rpm and what gear it is in. For a certain number of turns = x amount of distance. And each bike measures things just a bit different.

I love teaching and have been doing it for over 9 years! Glad you enjoyed the class!!!
2015-09-04 2:09 PM

My neighbor, who inspired me to tackle my weightloss journey with real gusto was a spin instructor. I watched him lose more weight than I, and do so with joy. He just passed recently. A bit of a fluke thing, not related to his previous health problems that he'd mostly overcome.

Those spin classes get to be cult like. I'd always said I needed to attend one of his classes as I switched to the gym where he lead classes. I just was never able to get there when he was running classes. 5:30 AM, brutal. 4:00 PM....still at work. I was in the spin room classes quite a bit using the bikes when classes were going on. Finally got around to taking my first one with a different instructor on the day he passed.

Weather wasn't going to permit me to ride 50+, so I figured I'd do an hour or so of light riding and then just go with the flow and do the spin class when it fired up. My hamstrings burned (that pleasant burn, though) for two days after that. First time I've felt that kind of 'burn' in probably a year.

He was, by all accounts (not just mine) a hugely motivating personality. There's plenty of people who lead (or led) inspiration lives from all different walks. Anne Frank, Mother Theresa, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Ghandi....musicians, artists, doctors, religious, non-religious. But how many of them directly inspire people? Hard to say. But this guy directly inspired me, and all those who took his class.
2015-09-04 4:53 PM

User image

I've been spinning for a couple of years now, twice a week if I got chance. Then the Wednesday teacher moved on, which was a shame as his class was aimed more at cyclists.
Doing two classes back to back on Monday with a stand in for the usual instructor so not sure how I'll feel. Guess 'in pain' is the best guess.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed my first spin class, and.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whats your "spin" on spin classes

Started by elena verdegaal
Views: 1766 Posts: 21

2012-02-20 6:36 PM jobaxas

first spinning class sunday...any advice

Started by Jbacon
Views: 1163 Posts: 12

2009-02-14 6:08 PM jackjack

First Spin Class

Started by millarg
Views: 751 Posts: 5

2006-01-20 11:20 AM victoryforMSU

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Started by Freenthec
Views: 1230 Posts: 9

2005-03-09 8:12 PM qtownmom

First Spinning Class

Started by waskelton
Views: 1153 Posts: 11

2005-02-08 12:28 PM waskelton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.
date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.

date : February 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Many athletes face the challenge of putting in quality bike time during the winter. Spin classes are a popular way to meet this challenge. Spin classes can easily be worked into your own schedule.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?

date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?