General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-04 2:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Subject: RE: Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly?
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted nc452010 Title says it all.
yes. 5 lines, 2 for the slower swimmers. 1 coach for the 2 slower lanes, 1 coach for the three 'faster' lanes. The slowest of the slow lanes is pretty slow.

I wonder if it is different in Canada? I have not heard of any really good experiences here, and most mirror the OP's experience..  I have seen a number of people from Canada describe what you say.

Depends on the group. Canada is a big country. :p

None of the ones around here are beginner friendly, except the one at the big outdoor pool in the summer which can accommodate any paces. So if a "beginner" can swim 135m nonstop, then they are ok.

2015-09-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

I've thought about checking one out. But, not knowing a dang thing, my plan is to leave the swimsuit at home at least the first time. Maybe even 2nd or 3rd. Gives me time to try some things out on my own, watch some videos, and do some reading.

I'm a pretty fast swimmer. Right around the top quarter mark for my AG, apparently. Doesn't mean I'm a good swimmer. No real training, beyond watching a lot of videos and a college class or two taught by guys on the swim team....one was an Olympic swimmer. But, it's still a college class and, to be honest, I've no doubt I had more interest in other things as it was a co-ed class.

But I know jack diddly beyond a "decent" freestyle and flip turns that I'm sure aren't terribly perfect as I only taught myself this winter.

I'd probably also read up on how to use a lap clock thingy. I don't even know enough to know what it's called.

And I feel good, too, after that other post, that I'd be doing this to be a better swimmer, not a better triathlete. Again, being honest, I'm not even a triathlete. I'm just a former fat guy who works out a lot and does some triathlons.
2015-09-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
The club I attend has a requirement on the website that you must be able to swim at least one length with one of the 4 competition strokes. (I thought that was odd because freestyle literally means most any kind of stroke is legal.) When I first started they had a regular paid coach and a volunteer beginner coach. I credit that volunteer with much of my swimming progress. Alas, he eventually retired and has not been replaced. Our coaches now do try to spend some of their time with the beginners, though some are better at that than others.

For a real non-swimmer, I'd suggest a beginner level group lesson if one's available. Less expensive than individual coaching and you need to spend some time on your own anyway just working on the drills, swim sets, and tips that an instructor gives you.
2015-09-04 3:11 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
My Masters says they're open to complete beginners, but a few questions proved that I was too beginner for them. They said they had a lane for slower swimmers, and as long as I could do 2:00/100 I would be fine. Well, I'm making lots of progress, but I'm not quite there yet. They also don't have a coach on deck, but instead the members take turns creating workouts. That's probably why it is free!
Anyway, I plan to take some more lessons and once my times are faster I'll join, mostly for the benefits of training around people faster than myself.
2015-09-05 6:01 PM
in reply to: #5138744

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Around here masters clubs are HS and college athletes. Beginner would not enjoy... At all.
2015-09-05 6:21 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Ann Arbor, MI here... no. I found that nothing is beginner friendly around here. But I firmly believe that you must reach a certain elevated level to even consider joining any group workouts around here. I wish there were runners who just run 5k or swimmers who just do 700m or riders that just go 10 miles but it seems I'm the only one in the city!! The group workouts here seem to be for the casual Olympic athlete!! There's some friendly people in the groups but the workouts are made for beginners who have been "beginning" for at least a couple years or more. lol
I just train by myself. If I did group workouts, I'd still be training by myself anyway so I just skip the awkwardness of showing up and getting left behind. ;-)

2015-09-05 7:36 PM
in reply to: Somnospeed

User image

New user

Originally posted by Somnospeed

Ann Arbor, MI here... no. I found that nothing is beginner friendly around here. But I firmly believe that you must reach a certain elevated level to even consider joining any group workouts around here. I wish there were runners who just run 5k or swimmers who just do 700m or riders that just go 10 miles but it seems I'm the only one in the city!! The group workouts here seem to be for the casual Olympic athlete!! There's some friendly people in the groups but the workouts are made for beginners who have been "beginning" for at least a couple years or more. lol
I just train by myself. If I did group workouts, I'd still be training by myself anyway so I just skip the awkwardness of showing up and getting left behind. ;-)

Well you do live in a place with one of the top swim programs in the country with multiple Olympic athletes. It might be why it is for the casual Olympic Athlete. Ha!
2015-09-05 8:22 PM
in reply to: mcatp

Originally posted by mcatp

Originally posted by Somnospeed

Well you do live in a place with one of the top swim programs in the country with multiple Olympic athletes. It might be why it is for the casual Olympic Athlete. Ha!

That's true. I wonder where they all trained when they were new because it wasn't around here! But then again most people I meet have been competitive endurance athletes for 20 years... and they're only 30 years old!!
2015-09-06 1:04 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
With our club in Oregon, it sometimes depends on the day of the week. The coach welcomes beginners (at least those who can reliably make it down to the end of the pool and back, no matter how slowly) but on certain days, we only have a limited number of lanes (as in Saturday AM, when there's usually two), so sometimes 30-40 people end up jammed into two lanes. (It's an ongoing ssue between the pool facility and the club.) The "slow" lane naturally has a big speed differential, as does "fast" (roughly, dudes just out of college hitting their 100's close to a minute flat, down to me at 1:40/100m). It's a rather horrid setup for both the slowest of the slow, and the slowest of the fast (usually me; occasionally I just can't take it anymore and downgrade myself to lead the slow lane, but that ends up a mess because by that time in the workout, everybody's gassed, I'm a distance swimmer, so I slow down less than the slow people, and pretty soon I'm lapping the tail end of it.) So I would not recommend that workout to beginners, especially as it's in the 50m pool that day. Some days/times (weekday noon) are much more beginner friendly. Many beginners pay extra to stay after the workout for private or small group work on technique; the coach also spends more time with that group and gives them more feedback. (Again, happens more during thr mid-day workouts with fewer people overall and per lane.) If a beginner joining a new program, wouldn't hurt to ask if some workouts are more beginner-friendly than others!
2015-09-06 7:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Mine totally is. Maybe because we only have 5 people at any given time in the pool, and rarely have to share lanes. A couple of months ago a guy came in who wanted to start doing triathlons and depending on which way the wind was blowing, he would sometimes make zero forward progress. I'm talking complete beginner. The coach stood at the end of his lane the entire time he was there, every time he was there, and worked one on one with him. We've got some folks who come in and work, others who half socialize and half swim.

When I travel I noticed some other masters swim clubs are kind of aloof (or at least to drop ins like me), where you just get ignored really. Maybe that's the "unfriendly" feeling. I've never seen one of these super masters swim teams where everyone was super fast that you guys mention. I rarely find anyone doing the same paces as me.

Edited by 3mar 2015-09-06 7:29 AM
2015-09-06 9:42 AM
in reply to: #5138700

Why not visit the club and ask directly? Also, ask for a free trial. If it works, great, if not...

Alternatives would be triathlon club or swim lessons. I had swimming instructors gently kicking me out of their course because i was too "good". I had other instructors ask me my goals and give me specific instructions and instructions.

Really, i would either call or visit the place. If you dont like what you hear and see then try another group.

2015-09-06 2:58 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

When I first approached the coach of my masters team I was a pretty much a beginner. She said "you can join the team whenever want, but you will be frustrated if you can't swim 2000-2500 yrds in workout." At that point my technique was awful and I was exhausted after a 1000 yrd workout. So I took some adult swim lessons and practiced on my own. I joined the team 10 months later.

I was a little frustrated at the time, but I think her advice was spot on for someone joining this masters team.

2015-09-06 9:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
It varies by club but generally most are as Marc describes. I swim solo most of the time as there are few guys for me to train with and their schedule does meet my needs. Lots of older guys and gals still swimming and even some younger newbs. I would recommend a smaller club if someone is in a larger metro area.

2015-09-06 9:33 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Las Vegas Masters...
2015-09-06 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
30 years on swim, run and tri... I'm 38
2015-09-07 2:28 PM
in reply to: nc452010

I was thinking about this while swimming today - and it struck me, people saying, yes, our master's is friendly unless you are a slow swimmer, than you should go get lessons. I'm not a great swimmer -- I only learned how to swim five years ago, but I have since finished 7 ironmans. I can swim, I just can't swim fast and slow means I finish an IM swim in 2 hours. My pool laps are equally slow. a master's would be helpful in learning how to do drills, mixing it up, etc., not more lessons. so yes, perhaps your masters if friendly to 'beginners' but the real question is, what is your definition of beginner? mine is, swims slow, but can swim, just needs some help on how to build speed having learning to swim as an adult.

I visit a master's swim in San Diego with a friend that lives there. the Master's there really were super welcoming. We all got attention, tips, encouragement and an acknowledgement that we were there - even the newbies and visitors.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why is masters swim called masters swim?

Started by yazmaster
Views: 2155 Posts: 18

2013-07-25 2:16 PM simpsonbo

Masters swim clubs

Started by sauna66
Views: 1610 Posts: 17

2007-01-09 11:48 AM m80

Master Swim Clubs - Strokes

Started by snake111
Views: 799 Posts: 4

2006-09-13 2:35 PM jeanneroth

Master Swimming Clubs

Started by katiemama
Views: 828 Posts: 8

2006-08-28 3:51 PM leapdog

Masters Swim Club

Started by athena
Views: 599 Posts: 2

2004-09-14 9:05 PM Deb_B
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 0
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.