General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ATTENTION ORLANDO AREA TRIATHLETES! U.S. COAST NEEDS YOUR HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-03 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Hollywood, FL
Subject: ATTENTION ORLANDO AREA TRIATHLETES! U.S. COAST NEEDS YOUR HELP!
Good evening all. I'm a fellow triathlete and an active U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Duty Officer stationed in Miami. We're currently working a case down in Key West, FL and I'm looking for some help from you all.

Earlier today we received a report from a concerned mariner reference a man doing an open water swim about 3 miles west of Key West, FL. The person in question swam up to reporting source's anchored vessel to say hello. He identified himself as Blake, a triathlete from Orlando. The geneleman took a photo of Blake, they had a short conversation, and Blake continued on with his open water swim towards Key West. The man became concerned and called the Coast Guard because this particular area has a high concentration of vessel traffic and Blake was swimming without a buoy or kayak/canoe support accompanying him which would help passing vessel's to see him in the water.

After receiving the report, we dispatched Coast Guard small boats and helicopters to search for Blake. At this juncture, we have not located him. As a triathlete, I'm not quite as alarmed as most are because I know doing a long distance OWS is not uncommon for experienced triathletes. However, until we can verify that Blake made it safely ashore, we'll be obligated to continue our search efforts for the near future.

Personally, I believe Blake likely made it ashore which would explain why we were unable to locate him during our initial search efforts, which have been robust. The weather in the area is favorable, and seas were around 1 feet with great visibility.

As I stated, we'll be continuing our search efforts throughout this evening, but I was asking for the help of the Orlando traithlete community to help identifiy this individual in the hopes that we could contact him to verify he made it safely ashore. The attached photo was taken this afternoon by our reporting source. If anyone recognizes the man in the photo, please contact us at Rescue Coordination Center Miami at (305)415-6800.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Medina
Rescue Coordination Center Miami
United States Coast Guard

(triathlete blake_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
triathlete blake_1.jpg (90KB - 8 downloads)

2015-09-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: Seminole_Coastie

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: ATTENTION ORLANDO AREA TRIATHLETES! U.S. COAST NEEDS YOUR HELP!
Crossing all my fingers and toes that he made it safe! Can you please let us know

Thank you for all that you do by the way :-)
2015-09-06 7:24 AM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Oh my, I hope that he is ok. Please do update us when you know. Are there a lot of tri clubs in Orlando and have they been contacted? And I also second that your work and dedication is much appreciated.
2015-09-10 12:39 PM
in reply to: Seminole_Coastie

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Any update?  Hopefully good news?

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ATTENTION ORLANDO AREA TRIATHLETES! U.S. COAST NEEDS YOUR HELP! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to the Orlando/Windermere area

Started by Gunky
Views: 947 Posts: 2

2009-07-24 12:00 PM KJGrog

Orlando area bike routes

Started by Then&Now
Views: 913 Posts: 3

2009-05-28 9:29 PM Then&Now

Places to rent bikes in Orlando area?

Started by maggyruth
Views: 859 Posts: 4

2008-04-09 1:51 AM trigurl123

Orlando area group rides marathon week

Started by matthewjt
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2007-01-01 7:07 AM matthewjt

Orlando area running paths

Started by xterratri
Views: 721 Posts: 2

2006-12-27 7:39 PM cuke
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?