General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Championship on Belle Isle this weekend? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-04 12:01 PM

Subject: Anyone doing the Championship on Belle Isle this weekend?
My first Olympic, and it's gonna be HOT!

2015-09-05 6:49 AM
in reply to: #5138836

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Championship on Belle Isle this weekend?
Yep, I'll be there. I'm doing the duathlon. I'm really glad they moved the start time, although they could go another whole 30 minutes for all I call. 8 am would be a fine start time (Motor City starts at 7:30).
2015-09-05 6:03 PM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

I'm going. Only doing the super sprint but it's only my 2nd Tri ever and I am far from a real runner, rider or swimmer. I did the Race for the Border tri on Belle Isle a few weeks ago. Had a great time! I think Belle Isle is an excellent place to host a tri. The swim was parallel to the shore, with the current so it was fast and easy. I don't think the swim at this event follows the same path though. It doesn't look like it anyway. The ride is scenic and is not an out and back so new sights to see all the way around for me. Nice.
2015-09-06 2:59 PM
in reply to: #5138934

User image

It was a death march out there on the run. Hope everyone had a good race out there.
2015-09-07 2:16 PM

I had the worst race ever. I felt pretty well trained, had been swimming a mile/day for the last 3 weeks (swimming is my weak point), and just finished a full marathon at the end of July. I was a little worried about the heat, but was hoping to get done before it got too bad.

Not sure what happened, but I got slammed with a wave of nausea during the swim, and got cramps in my calves so bad I'm still feeling it today. I'm pretty sure I was the last one out of the water, because I kept stopping at every one of the floats to puke violently (like I haven't puked since I was a kid...just retching and nothing coming up after the first few times). And with that, my well planned fueling strategy went out the window, and I was playing catchup for the rest of the race.

I started bonking around the third lap on the bike, but got a second wind and started the run fairly strong...8-8.5 min miles for the first 4 miles of the run. Going into mile 4, I was shivering and feeling like puking again, so I slowed way down...even stopped to walk a few times.

Horrible race, but it was my first Olympic distance, and I learned a lot. This is my last tri this year, but I'll take what I learned and try again next year.
2015-09-10 8:37 AM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Originally posted by dpd3672

I had the worst race ever. I felt pretty well trained, had been swimming a mile/day for the last 3 weeks (swimming is my weak point), and just finished a full marathon at the end of July. I was a little worried about the heat, but was hoping to get done before it got too bad.

Not sure what happened, but I got slammed with a wave of nausea during the swim, and got cramps in my calves so bad I'm still feeling it today. I'm pretty sure I was the last one out of the water, because I kept stopping at every one of the floats to puke violently (like I haven't puked since I was a kid...just retching and nothing coming up after the first few times). And with that, my well planned fueling strategy went out the window, and I was playing catchup for the rest of the race.

I started bonking around the third lap on the bike, but got a second wind and started the run fairly strong...8-8.5 min miles for the first 4 miles of the run. Going into mile 4, I was shivering and feeling like puking again, so I slowed way down...even stopped to walk a few times.

Horrible race, but it was my first Olympic distance, and I learned a lot. This is my last tri this year, but I'll take what I learned and try again next year.

Oh my, that sounds terrible. I'm glad you were able to recover from that swim, especially in that heat. That sun was relentless during the run.

2015-09-10 11:10 AM

Originally posted by jeremyscarroll

Oh my, that sounds terrible. I'm glad you were able to recover from that swim, especially in that heat. That sun was relentless during the run.

Yes it was, lol. And on top of everything else, I got the sunburn of my life! ANOTHER lesson well learned. This sport is teaching me more and more!
2015-09-11 7:47 AM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
Major props if you completed the Olympic. I did the sprint and was really feeling it on the run, Humidity was rough. Congrats to everyone that completed the race.
2016-01-08 9:03 AM

New user

Farmington Hills, Michigan

My first Olympic, and it's gonna be HOT!
Oh it was hot alright. I was wetter from doing the run than the swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Championship on Belle Isle this weekend? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2nd Belle Isle Triathlon 7/11 by Element Events

Started by AeroBaldness
Views: 1378 Posts: 2

2010-02-18 2:39 PM lilbigjon

Belle Isle New Years Eve Run

Started by jogo
Views: 1074 Posts: 2

2009-12-29 6:53 AM AeroBaldness

Anyone Running Belle Isle on New Years Eve *free beer

Started by AeroBaldness
Views: 1358 Posts: 8

2009-12-31 9:41 AM jogo

Belle Isle

Started by Bronwyn1968
Views: 1549 Posts: 13

2009-09-24 10:06 PM yorkee

Belle Isle OWS today June 4 6:00pm

Started by yorkee
Views: 668 Posts: 1

2009-06-04 8:36 AM yorkee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle