General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Guidance on swim portion training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-07 9:41 PM

User image

Subject: Guidance on swim portion training
Am 66.6 committed to training for a sprint triathlon, always wanted to do one. The cycling and running I'm not worried about in the least, that's all conditioning and I have a great base already. The swimming scares the crap out of me. I can't do a length of the pool now, any coaching or insight?

2015-09-07 11:45 PM
in reply to: Karkar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Guidance on swim portion training
Best insight I have is to get some sort of coaching to sort out a proper stroke, then just time in the water.

Swimming is pretty well all technique, and you can waste a LOT of energy with poor technique, so the more you can polish that up, the better!!

Should be able to join a group adult swim lesson class at many places without it costing an arm and a leg, then once you have a bit of a base, master's swimming is fantastic!

I tried to do it alone for a while, watching YouTube, reading theory, but until you have a good eye watching you, giving you proper drills etc. it will be very difficult to make great progress.

I got so frustrated I stopped mid-length, threw my cap and goggles across the pool and vowed not to get back in til I had a swim coach.

Best swimming decision I ever made!
2015-09-08 12:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Karkar, I wholeheartedly agree with Dustin's advice.  But, I'd like to add a few thoughts.  First off I'm turning 65 next month and I started swimming 3 years ago.  Like you, I couldn't swim a length.  The only advantages I had over you was that I have always been comfortable in the water and our local pool offers "Swim Fit" and Masters Swim sessions.  Swim Fit is an easier version of Masters.

If you're nervous in the water you absolutely need some coaching,  It will speed up your learning curve.  The other thing is you need to get comfortable in the water so after a swim session maybe go into an open area and just float around, and learn to relax in the water.  Get playful in the water.  Once you get some help then swim slowly as you learn technique.  Swim at least 3 times per week and be patient and consistent.

For your sprint - Is it a pool or Open Water swim?  Open water is very different from the pool.  My first sprint was in open water and even though I was swimming 2K three times per week at that time I wound up swimming my slowest swim ever thanks to my own apprehension.

2015-09-08 9:57 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Originally posted by dfquigley

Best insight I have is to get some sort of coaching to sort out a proper stroke, then just time in the water.

Swimming is pretty well all technique, and you can waste a LOT of energy with poor technique, so the more you can polish that up, the better!!

Should be able to join a group adult swim lesson class at many places without it costing an arm and a leg, then once you have a bit of a base, master's swimming is fantastic!

I tried to do it alone for a while, watching YouTube, reading theory, but until you have a good eye watching you, giving you proper drills etc. it will be very difficult to make great progress.

I got so frustrated I stopped mid-length, threw my cap and goggles across the pool and vowed not to get back in til I had a swim coach.

Best swimming decision I ever made!

I think it is time to stop creating a false dichotomy between training and technique. This is probably the biggest hurdle that adult onset swimmers face. Training and technique are largely the same.
2015-09-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: Dave Luscan

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Dave Luscan
Originally posted by dfquigley Best insight I have is to get some sort of coaching to sort out a proper stroke, then just time in the water. Swimming is pretty well all technique, and you can waste a LOT of energy with poor technique, so the more you can polish that up, the better!! Should be able to join a group adult swim lesson class at many places without it costing an arm and a leg, then once you have a bit of a base, master's swimming is fantastic! I tried to do it alone for a while, watching YouTube, reading theory, but until you have a good eye watching you, giving you proper drills etc. it will be very difficult to make great progress. I got so frustrated I stopped mid-length, threw my cap and goggles across the pool and vowed not to get back in til I had a swim coach. Best swimming decision I ever made!
I think it is time to stop creating a false dichotomy between training and technique. This is probably the biggest hurdle that adult onset swimmers face. Training and technique are largely the same.

Proper technique likely involves using muscles in  ways that you're not used to and where you may not have specific strength.  Just because you are using good form doesn't mean that you automatically have the strength or conditioning to sustain your form over race distance.  It's the old specificity thing.  It can be hard work to develop the requisite muscle strength and memory to support good technique.

Mark

2015-09-08 11:35 AM

"0 to 1650" helped my a lot. Just google it. There is a website and an app. It shows you how to go from 0, to being able to swim a mile in 6weeks. I believe they even have a program you can start before that to get you to a few hundred yards first. DC rainmaker had a great review over this, good read and it will show you that many people start where you are at now, just got to get passed that hurdle.
As far as me, I used this program and it was really tough at first, but then it all started to come together. I would recommend doing something like this first, get to the point of swimming at least a few hundred yards, then get a coach.

2015-09-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: Dave Luscan

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Dave Luscan
Originally posted by dfquigley Best insight I have is to get some sort of coaching to sort out a proper stroke, then just time in the water. Swimming is pretty well all technique, and you can waste a LOT of energy with poor technique, so the more you can polish that up, the better!! Should be able to join a group adult swim lesson class at many places without it costing an arm and a leg, then once you have a bit of a base, master's swimming is fantastic! I tried to do it alone for a while, watching YouTube, reading theory, but until you have a good eye watching you, giving you proper drills etc. it will be very difficult to make great progress. I got so frustrated I stopped mid-length, threw my cap and goggles across the pool and vowed not to get back in til I had a swim coach. Best swimming decision I ever made!

Amen!

Technique and fitness are interwoven to such an extent that it's hard to have a conversation about one without the other.  Check out programs with local coaches in person, such as Total Immersion, Dave's (the poster I'm quoting) Finding Freestyle, or another experienced swimming coach who has experience working with adult onset swimmers.

2015-09-08 4:41 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
When I started running I could not run half a mile.
When I started swimming I barely did a lap.
Nothing happens overnight when it comes to sports. If you don't have proper technique, then trainer/coach/swim class. If you know how to swim - just practice.
Good luck!
Mary
2015-09-11 2:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, California
I am brand new myself so hesitant to give advice but this is the exact route I am currently on. Found 0-1650 through DC Rainmaker site and it gave me the confidence that many people start late in life. I couldn't do a length at the time. I signed up for a Sprint 12 weeks out, and just substituted the swimming days on my training plan with the 0-1650 schedule for the first 6 weeks. I made progress faster than I would've imagined, happily finished the sprint tri couple weeks ago, and now that I know I will stick with the sport I will be looking to get some lessons from a coach before next season.

Edited by Tavo2311 2015-09-11 2:18 AM
2015-09-11 6:13 AM

I've recently completed two Sprint Triathlons in a two week period, my 1st & 2nd. I was swimming laps in a pool for training, and in both Tri's the swim portion was OWS.

I face two obstacles. One was training in the pool did not prepare me for swimming in open water. Call it any psychological disadvantage you want, but no training time in open water definitely hurt. Second was no formal training. I knew from lap swimming how slow I was. I was able to swim anywhere from 800m to 2,200m laps in the pool, but I was always floating around the 3:00/100m time. I researched online and tried to apply things I learned in the pool, but with no one watching me to critique me, I have no idea how I was doing.

As with anything, the repetition of practice is key. But IMO, unlike the disciplines of run and bike, swimming is more scientific and I believe some form of coaching is necessary to take you to the next level. I plan on taking a class over the winter to learn.
2015-09-11 7:12 AM

While I agree with other that you do need to get some coaching - I would caveat that I would not get lessons immediately.

If you have access to a pool, I would get a set of goggles, and a comfortable swimsuit and go spend some time in the water. Swim laps, and focus on getting comfortable in the water, breathing, etc. Do this for a few sessions, and then locate a local training program. If you head straight to training, you will not have a comfort level in the water, and your first few lessons will likely be spent spinning your wheels.

Just my two cents.

But as far as any fear of the water, or hesitation with the swim portion of the swim - put that away right now. Swimming is a learned habit, like anything else in life. I spend a lot of time in the pool, and I've met zero people who tried to learn to swim better and didn't improve. You will. Be patient, and accept there will be nerves, but you will look back a year from now and laugh at how far you've come.

2015-09-11 9:37 AM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm with you all. Second masters swim class this AM (I'm there for the instruction, as I can't do their workouts, yet). Coach approved my workout I got from a 0-1500 online workout, and off I went.

First session, I got some corrective criticism....which I worked on in my home pool, yesterday. This morning felt better (my legs are riding much higher.....high enough I can sometimes make a small splash when I do a 2-beat kick....though that's not my intent). She thinks my technique is OK for where I started, and told me to swim......lots.

I'm still struggling with endurance, though. I'm waiting for the BIG gain I hear most have, fairly early. I've been in the pool since Aug. 1 this year, very much an AOS.

Oh.....I read thread after thread of people wanting to get faster. If I slow down as slow as I can go, I swim a 1:50/100. If I swim at what feels like a pace that I can maintain form the best, it's 1:45/100 (scy). I'd give up time for distance, if I could figure out a way to do it. Slowing down more than I already am seems VERY out of whack.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Guidance on swim portion training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Day Training for the Swimming Portion

Started by Robnkauai
Views: 953 Posts: 4

2009-05-02 8:09 PM Robnkauai

Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint)

Started by joscon
Views: 1227 Posts: 3

2004-03-05 4:57 PM infosteward

i need bike and swim guidance

Started by tac
Views: 1398 Posts: 9

2004-02-21 10:47 PM davido

swim portion & wetsuits

Started by Hook
Views: 1013 Posts: 9

2004-02-06 9:54 PM snikpos

start for swim portion in pool

Started by jnarenki
Views: 1023 Posts: 6

2003-09-13 8:18 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : February 18, 2013
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Much has changed in swimming over the past 30 years. I will summarize the most important changes in two categories; swim training and swimming technique. Both are critical to fast swimming.
date : December 1, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Olympic swimmer advises not spending too much time on swim training in the winter, depending on your ability

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : August 8, 2008
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : February 13, 2007
comments : 2
Some anaerobic training is essential. You will need to have some speed to break out of the pack, turn a buoy at a proper angle, or to lose the annoying swimmer behind you that's grabbing your ankles.
date : November 6, 2006
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
comments : 3
Triathlon Swim Training for Beginners