General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawk Island Tri this weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-11 10:43 AM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: Hawk Island Tri this weekend
Any one doing the Hawk Island Triathlon this weekend? Sprint or Olympic? Any Hawk Island Veterans with advice on the course?

I will be doing the olympic distance, and this will be my first time on this course. I am going competitively and would love to find out who else will be racing with me.

2015-09-11 12:06 PM
in reply to: jckcrlln

Subject: RE: Hawk Island Tri this weekend
I will not be there, but live in the area and ride some of those roads for the bike course. There will be some potholes, so don't bury your head and just hammer away at the pedals. The first two loops are slightly different than the third loop, so make sure you know your turns well, study the course and listen up at the meeting and to the guides/marshals. I would definitely check the maps.

I don't know if the course is closed or not. Forest and Beaumont roads are one lane each way, but they are not roads with traffic on them much so you should be good. Mount Hope is 2 lanes each way so plenty of room for drivers to get around if the course is not closed. I ride Mt. Hope a bit, there's a few hills, but nothing like you see in Ann Arbor. Pennsylvania - 2 lanes each way, but isn't in the best shape. Cavanugh is one lane each way with a median, but this is by the entrance so it should be safe. Aurelius two lanes with a median, but not in the best shape. They say they try to mark the bad spots, so keep an eye out.

The run course follows the Lansing River Trail which will be nice. It's not hilly, but there are lots of smalls turns and a couple bridges, so don't expect to be running a straight out and back along roadsides or sidewalks.

I can't speak much to the swim course, never swam at Hawk Island myself.

As you're likely aware, MSU plays Oregon in football at 8 PM, so traffic will be a little rough if you come in the night before.

Let m eknow if you have any other questions, or hopefully somoene else is going and can also help out.
2015-09-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: #5140080

FYI - check the weather and prepare. It was quite brisk this AM and is supposed to be the same (mid 40s to low 50s) throughout the early AM.
2015-09-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Thank you for the advice. It will be helpful.

As for the weather, I look forward to cool temps. keeps me from overheating.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawk Island Tri this weekend Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hawk Island Tri June 3 - Who's in? Pages: 1 2

Started by BP(MI)
Views: 5164 Posts: 49

2012-06-11 7:23 AM MI_Mumps

Hawk Island Tri Pages: 1 2 3

Started by birdog41
Views: 4961 Posts: 58

2011-06-07 10:11 AM BP(MI)

Disc wheel question...for Hawk Island and Ann Arbor tri

Started by slowpoke77
Views: 865 Posts: 5

2009-04-22 5:47 AM trixie

Hawk Island Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by gsin5150
Views: 2736 Posts: 40

2009-05-07 5:52 AM jogo

Hawk Island Tri Procrastinator worried about lack of a wetsuit

Started by spartn1
Views: 1343 Posts: 13

2008-05-31 4:29 PM Thomas Demerly
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle