United States
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6, breakfast and drive to the state park that's about 20 minutes give or take from my house. Met up with my friends from church who were volunteering and a few from our old church who were either running or volunteering.....or putting the race on!
Event warmup:

Waiting out the rain and thunder storms under a pavilion.
Run
  • 1h 14m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Prelude- this run supports a local pregnancy help center. My political leanings are conservative and pro life. Given all the things I have read and seen about planned parenthood over the past few months it became my goal to do something to speak up for the unborn in the way that I can. i joined the National LIFE Runners Team and signed up for this race to help raise funds for this center.
We arrived at the state park in a little bit of drizzle, once I got my bag and all there was a little bit of thunder and a steady rain that lasted about 30-40 minutes. Skies remained overcast and it was pretty humid out there. We lined up with the runners in front of the walkers (walkers only had a 1.5 mile fairly easy loop). Quick prayer and we're OFF!
I think I started out too fast and my breathing never settled down. It felt hard the entire time. Hit a hill around mile one that banked hard to the left and was short but steep. Had to walk that puppy. Got moving again.....just keep a reasonable pace and watch where I'm going! The trail was overall pretty wide and a decent surface, but there were some tough ascent/ descent that were made worse being wet and having the roots/ gullies running through them. Shortly after mile 2 there was a water stop manned by a family I knew, grabbed water to drink and to dump. on my head. Followed the markers and eventually had to double back around to the same family from a different angle. More water to drink and dump on my head. I think I walked a little bit almost every mile because of all the hills, my legs weren't having it!!
Had to stop briefly at mile 3, my feet were numb and I loosened the laces which helped.
Finally hit mile 4, turned into a part of the woods that were less well marked and less well marshaled. There were segments here that had single track and a small bridge with large mud puddles. I tried to go to one side of it and didn't know that there was a lip on the surface of the wooden bridge so I nearly went down...Quick save prevented that.
Near mile 5 I saw another friend at a water stop, thanked him for coming out and complained about the hills as I grabbed my water. His wife was at the next water stop which was maybe 3/4 of a mile to the finish.
Passed her and came out on a wooden bridge. My husband and the race photographer were at the far end of that bridge. Once off it I had to bear left to run through the grass past the start/ finish area to take a steep hill up past the pool area. The ladies from my church were manning those areas of the course. Got high fives , hugs and prayers from my friends. Had to walk that hill cause it was CRAZY hard. There was an area of pavement after that hill that I walked through cause I needed to recover my legs some. Got a hug from another friend, then ran down behind the pool and along the fishing pond edge in a single track then wet grass. I predicted close to 1:15 knowing my legs were less than cooperative so I'm pretty stoked that I was right. I may not have the run I had several years ago--but I know what I have in me now and respect what my legs are capable of on a given day.
What would you do differently?:

Run those trails more often. I am going to connect with one of my running club friends who runs there more often. She took second in our AG.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched a lot, grabbed gatorade and a banana, a granola bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

old and cranky legs
novice to trail running and did not prepare for the course which is a really dumb mistake since the park is so close to my house

Event comments:

I will keep on doing this race, the course is challenging and the cause is worthwhile to me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:44 | 10 kms | 07m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
HR average 162 max 172
Course: This was one tough course. Every imaginable surface!! Trail with gravel, roots, some wooden bridges, big mud puddles, single track, wide track.....switch backs, pavement AND wet grass. A good hill about every time you thought you had finished climbing another one popped up....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-09-12 4:09 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Run For Their Lives

2015-09-12 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5140323

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Run For Their Lives

They threw a little bit off everything at you in this race!  Congratulations on a great race - and in finding some fun trails to run!!

2015-09-12 4:54 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Illinois
Sounds like a tough course, great job!!!
2015-09-12 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice job. Congrates on a hard race.
2015-09-13 6:10 AM
in reply to: dexter

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Nice race!  Sounds like a fun challenging course!

2015-09-14 12:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

You did see a little bit of everything out there, surface-wise, didn't you?!  Wow!  But hey, you got through it, you helped a cause dear to you and I see lots of smiles on you and your friends in those pics, congrats! 

2015-09-14 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a fun course! Maybe next year you'll appreciate it more

We have a race with a similar cause here called Born to Run. It's also off road but not as challenging as yours.

Congrats on a  great race!

2015-09-15 9:09 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Sounds like a tough course!! Great job!
2015-09-16 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nicely done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run For Their Lives Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PAWS Run for their lives

Started by Vilon
Views: 663 Posts: 1

2007-09-30 7:16 PM Vilon

Run for Your Life

Started by lfohl
Views: 836 Posts: 1

2007-04-14 1:24 PM lfohl

Run For Your Life 8km

Started by morrisoc
Views: 816 Posts: 5

2007-01-04 2:24 PM spokes

Boo, Run for your Life

Started by desertsix
Views: 801 Posts: 5

2006-10-30 9:53 AM spokes

Run For Your Life 5K

Started by waskelton
Views: 806 Posts: 2

2005-04-23 3:16 PM huskyboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : September 2, 2004
Sometimes life just isn’t fair! We all have situations come up from time to time that test our dedication to triathlon training.
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.