General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to "On your left."? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-14 8:08 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: What Happened to "On your left."?
Originally posted by d00d

Originally posted by mobey

Originally posted by b2run

I only say it when someone looks like they don't ride a straight line or if I think the person I'm overtaking might be going to pass the biker in front of hthem. I'm a slow swimmer and a fast biker so I pass an awful lot of people on the bike. I would be saying it regularly if I didn't limit it to those who needed it. I'm don't think it's necessary if I'm passing someone who is riding in solid control, by themselves on the right side of the road.

X2

x3

as a MOP swimmer and a fast rider, I come up on a lot of ppl and, many times, I wonder if they've had a few shots in T1. they're swerving all over the road and look dangerous. for those riders, i'll clearly yell, "ON YOUR LEFT" and blow by them. for those riders that are to the right and riding fairly straight, I'll swing out, put at least a foot or two of space between us, and pass without saying anything.

as mentioned, i'm more concerned with the apparant lack of cycling skills/knowledge out on the course. in my opinion, that's far more likely to cause an accident. i don't think that's emphasized enough by race officials and the tri community.

Same here. In fact, I've seen a lot of riders startled by someone yelling out "on your left" and swerving.

Interestingly, even at Worlds last month I experienced a huge problem with riders not riding to the right. You'd think those folks would have first-hand experience with being faster and trying to pass riders drifting left. I agree that RDs should focus on it more than they do.

2015-09-14 8:18 AM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by bufordt
Originally posted by b2run I only say it when someone looks like they don't ride a straight line or if I think the person I'm overtaking might be going to pass the biker in front of hthem. I'm a slow swimmer and a fast biker so I pass an awful lot of people on the bike. I would be saying it regularly if I didn't limit it to those who needed it. I'm don't think it's necessary if I'm passing someone who is riding in solid control, by themselves on the right side of the road.
This is my basic strategy too. I have a bit of advice for the habitual 'on your left' people. Don't ride past me 2 inches away from my left shoulder and yell "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!" just as your mouth lines up with my ear. My wife was run into yesterday by someone who passed on the right. She heard them coming up and was easing over to the right to give them more space when the idiots blew past her on the right, the 2nd giving her a should check as he went by. Some people's kids huh?

If she was riding far enough left that there was room for someone to pass on the right, much less two people, after she was already moving right, she wasn't riding in the right place.

2015-09-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by b2run

I only say it when someone looks like they don't ride a straight line or if I think the person I'm overtaking might be going to pass the biker in front of hthem. I'm a slow swimmer and a fast biker so I pass an awful lot of people on the bike. I would be saying it regularly if I didn't limit it to those who needed it. I'm don't think it's necessary if I'm passing someone who is riding in solid control, by themselves on the right side of the road.

X2

Also there is the difference in speed to consider. If it is a wave start or a multiple loop coarse it is not uncommon for me to be doing 23-4 mph passing someone doing 15mph. by the time you say it too late or you say it earlier and they can't hear it. Also in this situation you may be passing 4 or 5 people at a time your not going to keep yelling on your left over and over, you save your breath so if one person looks shaky as your passing you can give a yell.

2015-09-15 12:09 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

New user
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by bufordt
Originally posted by b2run I only say it when someone looks like they don't ride a straight line or if I think the person I'm overtaking might be going to pass the biker in front of hthem. I'm a slow swimmer and a fast biker so I pass an awful lot of people on the bike. I would be saying it regularly if I didn't limit it to those who needed it. I'm don't think it's necessary if I'm passing someone who is riding in solid control, by themselves on the right side of the road.
This is my basic strategy too. I have a bit of advice for the habitual 'on your left' people. Don't ride past me 2 inches away from my left shoulder and yell "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!" just as your mouth lines up with my ear. My wife was run into yesterday by someone who passed on the right. She heard them coming up and was easing over to the right to give them more space when the idiots blew past her on the right, the 2nd giving her a should check as he went by. Some people's kids huh?

If she was riding far enough left that there was room for someone to pass on the right, much less two people, after she was already moving right, she wasn't riding in the right place.

She was riding in the middle of a bike lane/shoulder that is more than 8 feet wide. Any further right and she'd be riding in debris. Regardless, no one should be passing on the right unless they live some place like Japan, or Bermuda. What they did was similar to passing on the shoulder in a car.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to "On your left."? Rss Feed  

of 2