General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to "On your left."? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-12 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: What Happened to "On your left."?
Did an Olympic this morning and gave the customary "on your left" as I passed some fellow competitors. I too was passed (a little more than I would have liked) and didn't hear it once. I thought it was common courtesy and race etiquette but maybe I missed a memo or something. Most probably know to stay right unless executing a pass but at this distance there are still first timers who may drift. Just seems like an easy way to avoid possible collisions. Maybe it requires too much effort from podium contenders or just isn't cool anymore. Who knows.

2015-09-12 9:15 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What Happened to "On your left."?
I don't always, only if the pass is going to be close, or they don't look like they can hold a line :p
2015-09-14 6:26 PM
in reply to: CBess

Last time I said on the left I hit the pavement at 20mph. Now I do not say anything unless the other rider already swerving all over the road.

I wish it was a thing but bad experiences have swayed me away.
2015-09-14 10:27 PM
in reply to: dougie2008

I got a mix of them on my tri Sunday. it seems the faster and closer someone was they said it. on the other hand I did have a few that probably should have said it and didn't. I also had one pass on the right where I was on the right side already, which is a BIG no no IMO.
2015-09-14 11:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Same here on the bad experiences! I have had a few where I would say "on your left" and the other rider would swerve left. But if I say nothing I can pass them before they have time to take me out. If there is something obvious that may be an issue, I will say something, wait for them to react and then make the pass.

Edited by mambos 2015-09-14 11:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to "On your left."? Rss Feed