Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-18 10:45 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Cross Fit on 60 min.
I think that Crossfit, just like SoulCycle, triathlon, P90X, and a lot of other things is sort of a cult, but it's a (mostly) positive, and inspirational cult that leads people to a good place. Anything that gets people thinking about fitness and diet is a good thing. I know quite a few people (mostly women) who never went to to a gym because it was too intimidating who found a supportive community in Crossfit.

The only thing that troubles me a little is when Crossfit tries to teach its members that there is only "one true path". Whether it's fitness, or diet, or recovery, or hydration, whatever, everyone is different because of age or backgound, genetics, medical history, etc. Any time anyone tells you that there is only one correct way to do anything-- one strategy that will work for absolutely everyone, and especially that any other philospohy is flawed or invalid, one should be suspicious.

I like Crossfit a lot, but I do think there's a lot of "Crossfit is the One True Way and all other fitness programs are unworthy" in their philosophy. I did Crossfit for about six months. Overall, I liked it a lot, but there was definitely some questionable instruction around recovery, treatment of injuries, hydration, etc. I've been athletic long enough that I know my body and can make my own decisions around that stuff, but a someone new to fitness might take the word of their Crossfit coach as gospel and run into trouble.

2015-09-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Cross Fit on 60 min.

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I think that Crossfit, just like SoulCycle, triathlon, P90X, and a lot of other things is sort of a cult, but it's a (mostly) positive, and inspirational cult that leads people to a good place. Anything that gets people thinking about fitness and diet is a good thing. I know quite a few people (mostly women) who never went to to a gym because it was too intimidating who found a supportive community in Crossfit. The only thing that troubles me a little is when Crossfit tries to teach its members that there is only "one true path". Whether it's fitness, or diet, or recovery, or hydration, whatever, everyone is different because of age or backgound, genetics, medical history, etc. Any time anyone tells you that there is only one correct way to do anything-- one strategy that will work for absolutely everyone, and especially that any other philospohy is flawed or invalid, one should be suspicious. I like Crossfit a lot, but I do think there's a lot of "Crossfit is the One True Way and all other fitness programs are unworthy" in their philosophy. I did Crossfit for about six months. Overall, I liked it a lot, but there was definitely some questionable instruction around recovery, treatment of injuries, hydration, etc. I've been athletic long enough that I know my body and can make my own decisions around that stuff, but a someone new to fitness might take the word of their Crossfit coach as gospel and run into trouble.

Maybe it's the difference between recreational athletes looking for an answer and people that understand themselves.  The coaches push, it's their job - and it's is a bit motivating, but there are PLENTY of times I said (in my head)  eff, you, this is as fast as I'm going to go.

They occasionally on the run parts will yell at me "catch so and so" or "don't let so and so catch you".  Know what I say (In my head) "they can have it"  or "who cares if they catch me".  I know ME.  I done tri and IM so I KNOW how to push and compete.  I know how to reel someone in on a run or fight someone off with a kick.  So if I'm not feeling it?  The coach can kiss off, LOL.

Again, they don't make it a contest, but a little bit of group competition helps.  I just think SOME people may blindly listen to a coach, rather than their body.  OTOH, couch potatoes may not know what they are capable of unless pushed beyond boundaries.

Like anything, it's being educated, pushing the limits every once in a while, constancy, form, recovery, etc.  Just about every principle I learned in Tri, I take to Crossfit or yoga or any other form of training.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cross Fit on 60 min. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

60 minutes--restaurant calories Pages: 1 2

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 2086 Posts: 50

2007-11-21 9:37 AM chirunner134

60 year old & cameltoe

Started by ADollar79
Views: 2469 Posts: 11

2007-08-21 7:54 AM Tri-Pirate

I am walking 60 miles for breast cancer research

Started by piperfl
Views: 555 Posts: 7

2007-05-30 3:28 PM Blue Moc

Calling all Studio 60 fans

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 522 Posts: 8

2007-05-25 9:30 AM KenyonTri

Studio 60!!

Started by sboro33
Views: 716 Posts: 17

2007-03-09 3:34 PM SenjaO
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?