General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting a training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-15 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: Drafting a training plan
Okay, chime-in with any suggestions you may have. I'm "talking out loud" here, brainstorming if you will.

Drafting my Annual Training Plan (as per Friel) was easy, and very beneficial since it showed me unplanned gaps in my schedule. My Weekly Plans, on the other hand, are giving me absolute fits! I subscribe to the theory that while a triathlon is swim-bike-racewalk, there are actually four disciplines that one needs to train for. Based upon everything I have read, and my personal experience, I believe that strength training must be included in my regimen. And I know that I train better if I know ahead of time what workouts I have to do in a given week or on a given day. I don't do nearly as well when I wake-up and ask myself, "Well what shall I do today."

Even if I only plan for TWO workouts in each discipline, that is still going to be EIGHT workouts a week. Which means that I will have to double up at least two days a week to schedule a rest day. However, at my age and weight, I believe I would really benefit from scheduling two rest days per week. So that means I would be doubling up at least three out of five days a week. And if I want to focus on my greatest weakness (racewalking) I should be doing THREE workouts in that discipline each week. Now I am up to NINE workouts in five days, or four doubles.

Balancing that plus work and any kind of normal life seems pretty impossible to me, unless I suddenly officially retire and simply pretend that triathlon is my job. That's one of the reasons this month's challenge was only to score 20/30 workout days, to build consistency. I figure by the end of September I should have established the "workout habit" and hopefully they will have become priorities in my life.

I am toying with the idea of developing a 3-week split rotation where I can score all 27 workouts in 18 days, allowing for 1 rest day per week, then on the recovery week drop down to maybe only 5 or 6 workouts that week. Or maybe just doing four doubles, then a rest day, four doubles, then a rest, and so on. Any suggestions on how to fit this all in? I'd like to have it "finalized" before the end of September, when my training will start for real.

2015-09-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Drafting a training plan
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Okay, chime-in with any suggestions you may have. I'm "talking out loud" here, brainstorming if you will.

Drafting my Annual Training Plan (as per Friel) was easy, and very beneficial since it showed me unplanned gaps in my schedule. My Weekly Plans, on the other hand, are giving me absolute fits! I subscribe to the theory that while a triathlon is swim-bike-racewalk, there are actually four disciplines that one needs to train for. Based upon everything I have read, and my personal experience, I believe that strength training must be included in my regimen. And I know that I train better if I know ahead of time what workouts I have to do in a given week or on a given day. I don't do nearly as well when I wake-up and ask myself, "Well what shall I do today."

Even if I only plan for TWO workouts in each discipline, that is still going to be EIGHT workouts a week. Which means that I will have to double up at least two days a week to schedule a rest day. However, at my age and weight, I believe I would really benefit from scheduling two rest days per week. So that means I would be doubling up at least three out of five days a week. And if I want to focus on my greatest weakness (racewalking) I should be doing THREE workouts in that discipline each week. Now I am up to NINE workouts in five days, or four doubles.

Balancing that plus work and any kind of normal life seems pretty impossible to me, unless I suddenly officially retire and simply pretend that triathlon is my job. That's one of the reasons this month's challenge was only to score 20/30 workout days, to build consistency. I figure by the end of September I should have established the "workout habit" and hopefully they will have become priorities in my life.

I am toying with the idea of developing a 3-week split rotation where I can score all 27 workouts in 18 days, allowing for 1 rest day per week, then on the recovery week drop down to maybe only 5 or 6 workouts that week. Or maybe just doing four doubles, then a rest day, four doubles, then a rest, and so on. Any suggestions on how to fit this all in? I'd like to have it "finalized" before the end of September, when my training will start for real.

I like that you're being very conscious of your rest days. It's just too easy to injure yourself and then you lose a bunch of progress.

Having said that...
- Use a swim day as a rest day
- Two rest days is a lot. Again, I would encourage you to do what you need to so you don't overdo it. But as you're finding out, it's going to crowd out the workouts.
- The old adage of 3X each discipline per week isn't necessarily true. I have been able to continue to improve my bike with 2X per week. But they are very structured rides and they are key workouts (I protect them and I go hard)
- Do bricks. You can "hide" some miles by getting in 3 miles after a ride and it doesn't extend your workout time that much

For the past year I've done 3xrun, 2xbike, and 2.5xswim each week but no rest day (my Mon swim day is my rest day). Not recommending this but just an FYI. I have 2 gym workouts per week scheduled but I almost always skip them : ) That's a whole other thread.
2015-09-15 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm in my "off season" now, but the plan I've mapped out for the start of next tri season is 3 x swim, 3 x run and 2 x bike.  Sundays are usually a bike/run brick.  My swims and runs during the week are in the early morning (6AM).  I will occasionally slip in a fourth swim on the weekend.  Running is the hardest thing on my body, so I try not to run on consecutive days.

I also try to get in a couple of strength sessions in the afternoons after work.  Mostly body weight and stretch band stuff as opposed to iron weights these days.

With concession to my age (62) I follow a three week periodization schedule with two weeks of build and one recovery.

I know I will have occasional conflicts with work or family, so I don't sweat it if I miss an occasional workout.  I just try to be as consistent as I can over time.

Mark

2015-09-15 11:45 AM

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Based upon everything I have read, and my personal experience, I believe that strength training must be included in my regimen.

Just how important are those weight training sessions for you? If you eliminated it would that completely solve your scheduling problem? I know all the elite guys lift, but if we took their time in the gym in relation to their overall training plan and scaled it down to fit the schedule of someone like you and me the amount of weight training would be miniscule. If you really want your training hours to make the largest contribution to improving your race day experience if it were me I would skip the weights in favor of additional cycling or running. But if you are in this for the day to day fitness aspect of life and the joy of taking part in swim, bike, run, and lift then by all means I would lift the weights. If it comes at the expense of SBR it doesn't matter because it is what you want. I would say if the latter is the case then any schedule you come up with that fits your needs is the best one because you know your recovery needs more than anyone your training in something the other days which is good.
2015-09-15 11:56 AM

User image

, North Carolina
You are on the right track with this! Keep it up!

I would say, however, that you can vary the number of workouts with each of the periods (per Friel). Trans and Base 1 you can get away with 1-2x per week per sport and focus more on the strength training, but as you progress you can back off on the strength training as you increase your sport specific workouts. Once you are in the build phases I would limit your strength workouts to 1x per week and count that as a "rest day" or make that a morning workout with a bike or swim in the evening or vice versa.

As already mentioned, Bricks are another great way to add a third run into your week. Most people aren't as bad at running as they think they are, they just aren't used to running off the bike. Adding 1-2 miles at the end of a bike ride once a week will benefit you more than an extra hour of speed work.

So with that in mind, your build phase may look totally different from your other phases as far as workouts per sport per week and even week to week that may be different. The main thing is that you build a strong base of strength training at the beginning of your training and simply maintain that through the season which may simply be 30min a week in the gym.
2015-09-15 12:46 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Just thought I'd chime in for a bit. When I first started tri's I was at 2 rest days a week, for the most part I am at 1 per now, sometimes none. With the cardiovascular improvements the heart just wants to keep working, it's wonderful, so let it come naturally. Don't feel too obligated to be "by the book."
If most triathletes saw my overall mileage in each discipline they'd probably say it was too low. I have had great success and improvement focusing on quality over quantity. EVERY workout has a specific purpose(s). I will say though, that too long between swim workouts there is a drop in form unless you're already a fish. It seems to be the 1 of the 3 disciplines that does need frequency, but like an earlier post had said, if it's a technique-based low intensity workout, it easily subs as a rest day

Good Luck, hope I added a bit to the mix from my still mid-noob status lol

2015-09-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Combine a couple of workouts per session and none of these are true "bricks"...something like:

swim 30 min + upper body strength and core work 30 min
run/walk 30 min + lower body strength and core work 30 min
run/walk 30 min + swim 30 min

I do each of these pretty regularly.  If you have 75 or 90 minutes available all the better.  You could do three back-to-back-to-back.  :-)

2015-09-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Gatornate
Originally posted by leatherneckpa Based upon everything I have read, and my personal experience, I believe that strength training must be included in my regimen.
Just how important are those weight training sessions for you? If you eliminated it would that completely solve your scheduling problem? I know all the elite guys lift, but if we took their time in the gym in relation to their overall training plan and scaled it down to fit the schedule of someone like you and me the amount of weight training would be miniscule. If you really want your training hours to make the largest contribution to improving your race day experience if it were me I would skip the weights in favor of additional cycling or running. But if you are in this for the day to day fitness aspect of life and the joy of taking part in swim, bike, run, and lift then by all means I would lift the weights. If it comes at the expense of SBR it doesn't matter because it is what you want. I would say if the latter is the case then any schedule you come up with that fits your needs is the best one because you know your recovery needs more than anyone your training in something the other days which is good.

I think the issue here is one of age.  I had always spent a lot of time in the gym over the years, but bought into the logic a few years ago to prioritize SBR over time strength training in order to get faster.  That worked OK until I hit my late 50's and early 60''s when I realized that  SBR alone couldn't offset the loss of strength and muscle mass due to aging.   I've been reintroducing strength training back into my routine for that reason.  

Mark

2015-09-15 1:32 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

There are many ways to design your program that will work.  Given what you've provided, I'd suggest that you go heavy on the swim and bike for your workouts.  Add in some strength sessions that can often be combined with a swim or bike.  Then plan to do some walking most days of the week, regardless of whatever else you do.  Do it whenever you can (e.g., in the evening before or after dinner, during lunch at work, etc.)  Don't feel that you have to skip walking to get your "rest day".  It shouldn't be a very stressful session for you, just a way to get your heart pumping a little, get into better shape and burn a few extra calories.  If you have 15min, walk for 15min.  As you get into better shape and bring the weight down further (great job so far!) you can make those sessions a bit more of a workout and add in some jogging or push the pace.  While it may be your weakness, it is probably best for you to address it for now by building up your cardio fitness in less weight-bearing activities (ie, swim & bike).  Even without a lot of racewalking practice, you will find yourself better able to handle the last leg of your tris.

2015-09-15 1:40 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Gatornate
Originally posted by leatherneckpa Based upon everything I have read, and my personal experience, I believe that strength training must be included in my regimen.

I think the issue here is one of age.  I had always spent a lot of time in the gym over the years, but bought into the logic a few years ago to prioritize SBR over time strength training in order to get faster.  That worked OK until I hit my late 50's and early 60''s when I realized that  SBR alone couldn't offset the loss of strength and muscle mass due to aging.   I've been reintroducing strength training back into my routine for that reason.  

Mark

That's a great point that I didn't specifically address. Age specific needs are vital.
2015-09-15 1:49 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I do my strength work during my lunch break. I also use my lunch hour to swim a couple of times each week.

I think if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Honestly, the challenge of balancing life with training is one of the appeals of triathlon (to me anyway); just another challenge to tackle.

Try starting out with what you can do. You'll learn how to best arrange your schedule to accommodate more work if you really want to get it in. No two training schedules are the same. Everyone has to find something that works for them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting a training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4043 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3447 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1610 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

Bike Drafting vs. Swim Drafting

Started by jjweav
Views: 1129 Posts: 13

2006-04-20 4:16 PM KSH

draft or no draft

Started by runmacride
Views: 1136 Posts: 13

2004-09-15 10:33 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.