General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon and coffee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-17 4:54 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Triathlon and coffee
3-5 mugs a day for several years here.
Before a workout I limit my usual 2 morning mugs to 1 or 0 if it's a longer workout, then enjoy my coffee after a shower which is nice.
Florida is hot and I sweat a lot, so I avoid it since it dehydrates you and can increase chances of cramping.
Also, in higher doses it can cause heart palpitations. Cramps and palpitations are 2 things I don't want to experience during strenuous activity.

My guess is most people will be fine after a cup, but coffee is off my breakfast menu race day, but during training I just limit myself to one strong mug in the morning until after my workout.

2015-09-17 5:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by runtim233-5 mugs a day for several years here.Before a workout I limit my usual 2 morning mugs to 1 or 0 if it's a longer workout, then enjoy my coffee after a shower which is nice.Florida is hot and I sweat a lot, so I avoid it since it dehydrates you and can increase chances of cramping.Also, in higher doses it can cause heart palpitations. Cramps and palpitations are 2 things I don't want to experience during strenuous activity.My guess is most people will be fine after a cup, but coffee is off my breakfast menu race day, but during training I just limit myself to one strong mug in the morning until after my workout.
Coffee and tea do not cause dehydration. That was debunked several years ago. They're only mild diuretics. Also, dehydration doesn't cause exercise associated cramping.I drink 3-6 cups of black coffee most days before lunch. The worst thing about coffee the way some people drink it is all the sugar. ETA : BTW, for performance, you're better off doing the opposite of what you're currently doing. Limit it during training, but then use it on race day. Just be mindful of it causing many people to need to void their bowels, so time it to take care of that prior to the start.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-09-17 6:04 AM
2015-09-17 6:08 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Everything I know is wrong. That's what we were taught in school and in the military, tea and coffee dehydrate you and increase chances of cramping. I have heard it many times outside institution as well. Of course they also said homosexuals were not fit for service either so... I guess we need to continue to learn or admit we never learn since the next study usually contradicts the last.

Thanks for the update, I will do some more research on the subject but since I love my coffee I might be a little upset thinking back on all those mornings I went without. I'm not aware I ever experienced any harm from one cup though.

Edited by runtim23 2015-09-17 6:09 AM
2015-09-17 6:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jennifer_runs If you regularly drink coffee, you won't receive any benefit from the caffeine on race day.

Probably true......but if I don't drink coffee regularly I won't even be able to find the race site on race morning.

Ha, this cracked me up !

2015-09-17 7:18 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm a 2 black coffee cups a morning drinker.  About once or twice a month I will get a little crazy and do the "bullet" style on a Saturday or Sunday.  Coconut oil and unsalted butter.  I just love the morning ritual of it.  Coffee in the morning a glass of wine at night.

2015-09-17 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Evidently, I am the odd man out. My morning routine is get up, run, coffee, shower.  Often the shower and the coffee are at the same time.  Coffee is the reward for a morning run.  It is also, along with the run, the main ingredient to being human at work.  My personal habit has been reduced from "more cups than one should" consume to about 5 cups a morning.  Being coffee free will never be my goal, I admire your discipline.

2015-09-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

Evidently, I am the odd man out. My morning routine is get up, run, coffee, shower.  Often the shower and the coffee are at the same time.  Coffee is the reward for a morning run.  It is also, along with the run, the main ingredient to being human at work.  My personal habit has been reduced from "more cups than one should" consume to about 5 cups a morning.  Being coffee free will never be my goal, I admire your discipline.

After reading all your awesome comments I decided I would have a cup this morning and see how it goes. The moment I thought about coffee - I wanted to poop (thanks Shane for your video! haha).
This cup of coffee is standing lonely in front of me for over 10 minutes now and even though my mind tries to remember the deliciousness of this drink, my mouth and hand refuse to reach for it... I don't know - maybe my body is trying to tell me something? Or maybe I truly had way too much of it back then... Weird.

Mary
2015-09-17 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
I drink about a pot a day. Addicted would be understating it. I've often thought about cutting back but I never want to be called a quiter.

Randy
2015-09-17 12:08 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I always thought it was the coffee that woke me up in the morning, but apparently it is just time, as if I spend my first 10 minutes drinking coffee, I wake up, but if I don't drink coffee, in 10 minutes the hamster starts running on the wheel and I'm awake regardless. However, I will continue drinking coffee, especially pre workouts and pre race (which is then every day ending in "Y") for two reasons:

1. I like it
2. poop
2015-09-17 1:16 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Quite different experience here. I used to drink quite a bit of coffee (at least 2 to 3 cups a day) until I developed an insensitivity to it. It gave me random episodes of heart palpitations (random jump from mid 50s to 120 for usually 30 minutes at a time) throughout the day, even hours after consumption, also gave me jitters, dizziness and brain fog. I believe it also caused me to be nervous and uneasy at times.

After I quit, all the above went away and I had the following other benefits as well:

More energy (Yes...more) The boost of caffeine is temporary at best and the more you take in the more the benefit of a boost diminishes over time
Back problems disappeared. That one stomped me, but after looking into it I found out that caffeine increases your stress hormones which then produces more cortisol leading to more inflammation in your body (Something we guys want to avoid)

Just my two cents. They also linked some mental illnesses to caffeine. There are some websites out there that can go into more detail on some of these things.
2015-09-17 2:05 PM

Sarasota, Florida
If you read the back of caffeine pills they list warnings that mention some of those surrounding conditions and also tell people with caffeine sensitivity to use caution. I have been researching the topic a little, but be wary I'm no chemist so some of these peer reviewed papers are difficult for me to process, but from what I collect there is still debate regarding its potential to reduce sodium absorption which gives it a diuretic effect.

Like drinking saltwater will dehydrate you, I think it's safe to say sodium which is not being absorbed will do the same. From what I read, if sodium is not being absorbed, neither is water, and the excess sodium increases need to urinate.

However, there is debate surrounding this, and from a normal dose of caffeine, even if it does have this effect, it is probably small enough that dehydration is not a risk.

I'm not biochemist, this is just me trying to read, understand, and learn. Maybe someone with more credibility can add to this, but that's what I have understood so far.

As for me, I usually only get 5-6 hours of sleep a night and need my coffee to do my job and I personally have not noticed any side effects if I keep it down to 3 mugs a day or less. I'm sure everyone is different to some degree.

I have not noticed an inflammation issue being brought up until your post though.

Edited by runtim23 2015-09-17 2:07 PM

2015-09-17 2:18 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Pro

If drinking coffee caused inflammation I would have spontaneously combusted 20 years ago.  I don't know how many "cups" of coffee I drink in a day.....who the hell counts things like that? (ok, I know some people do, but I probably can't count as high as I would need to)  But...... I know how many lbs. I go through in a month.

2015-09-17 2:35 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83 The moment I thought about coffee - I wanted to poop

Adding this to my own personal "Best of BT" list

2015-09-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by marysia83 The moment I thought about coffee - I wanted to poop

Adding this to my own personal "Best of BT" list

Great.. I hope if we ever meet in real life you won't greet me with: "hey, want some coffee...?" hehe
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon and coffee Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Coffee

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 1511 Posts: 24

2009-04-08 6:36 AM monkeyboy64

Coffee on race day...? Pages: 1 2

Started by bmcgee
Views: 2291 Posts: 31

2009-07-22 10:24 AM mattierocks

Does Coffee Cause Mucsle Problems?

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 1542 Posts: 12

2007-08-23 2:43 PM OrbeaMan

How many cups of coffee per day? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MForger18
Views: 3303 Posts: 72

2007-03-08 9:08 AM lisac957

Any coffee drinkers ?

Started by dhyte
Views: 849 Posts: 8

2004-01-08 11:22 PM GamblerZ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Recent studies have demonstrated that moderate to mild levels of caffeine (less than 300mg) do not promote dehydration during exercise.
date : May 17, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Not your typical review, but a review nonetheless. The first thing we triathletes need before any training can be contemplated is COFFEE! Learn how to make espresso for early morning workouts.