General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meters giving me a power headache..please help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-22 9:14 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Power meters giving me a power headache..please help

Originally posted by 3mar Marcag, I misunderstood. I saw images like the one below and thought that was all you got. I think Powertap is like that. So I figured I'd have to find one compatible with the current crank I have. If that's not the case, then I guess that is a good option.

Donto, When I spoke with my LBS he said that MegaXO and BB30 would not fit. Or is that what the BSA68 option is for? Also, how hard is it to switch these out? Do I need special tools?

Can't help you with the DIY part, I had the LBS take car of that part when I built up my 2013 B12 frame. 

All I know is that there are many ways to get what is needed for the BB needed.  I wanted to go with Shimano 6800 groupset but the crank is 24mm and the frame is a BB30.   I had to get a BB adaptor to use the Shimano 6800 crank.

I'd call them and verify before pulling the trigger...

2015-09-22 10:01 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by 3mar 1. Just for my own edification; how does this measure both legs? Is it becuase the torque on the chain ring can be measured from force applied to either pedal? Or is there a sensor on each crank? 

I hadn't really thought about how the P2M measures both legs, but that's what the advertise  

It's actually an estimation of left/right power based on the pedal stroke (the P2M also measure cadence).

See DC Rainmaker's review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/power2max-power-meter-in-depth-review.html 

2015-09-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by 3mar Ok. So I believe I mimicked this order. See below. So I only have three questions before I pull the trigger: 1. Just for my own edification; how does this measure both legs? Is it becuase the torque on the chain ring can be measured from force applied to either pedal? Or is there a sensor on each crank? 2. Will this sync to my Garmin 920xt? I don't have a bike computer. 3. What tools will I need to DIY this? Thanks for all your help on this guys. I should have come here first and I wouldn't be nearly so stressed out.

It will work fine with your 920.

To swap mine between bikes, all I need is a torque wrench to loosen/tighten 3 bolts.  It's about a 2 minute job.

edit to add: The torque wrench is good to have but you wouldn't *need* it.  The crank bolt is just finger tight and the other two have a range of 10 - 14 nm so as long as you have a reasonable idea of how much that is you'd be ok without it (but I'd still have one!).

edit #2:  I'm not sure what you would need to get the new BB installed.  Mine had the proper one already.

I'm just marking the decision point that causes him to completely lose it.

2015-09-22 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Originally posted by 3mar

Ok. So I believe I mimicked this order. See below. So I only have three questions before I pull the trigger:

1. Just for my own edification; how does this measure both legs? Is it becuase the torque on the chain ring can be measured from force applied to either pedal? Or is there a sensor on each crank?

2. Will this sync to my Garmin 920xt? I don't have a bike computer.

3. What tools will I need to DIY this?

Thanks for all your help on this guys. I should have come here first and I wouldn't be nearly so stressed out.

To answer question #3, you will need two bottom bracket tools and a crank puller for the old cranks. One for the old square taper bottom bracket and one for the new MegaExo bottom bracket (plus a wrench to turn the tools, but I'm assuming you have that - ratchet or adjustable). I'm guessing you'd be looking at around $50 to $60 in tools.

If you're going to wrench on your own bike, it's a worthwhile investment. If you're not, it's probably cheaper to have your LBS do it. An experienced mechanic should be able to swap the bottom brackets and cranks in 15 minutes or less.

Here are links to the tools an Amazon (lots of other options available):

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Puller-Square-Cranks/dp/B001VS1M20

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-BBT-22-Shimano-Cartridge/dp/B001A0A...

http://www.amazon.com/FSA-Bottom-Bracket-Spanner-Wrench/dp/B005MK45...

2015-09-22 10:30 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by 3mar Ok. So I believe I mimicked this order. See below. So I only have three questions before I pull the trigger: 1. Just for my own edification; how does this measure both legs? Is it becuase the torque on the chain ring can be measured from force applied to either pedal? Or is there a sensor on each crank? 2. Will this sync to my Garmin 920xt? I don't have a bike computer. 3. What tools will I need to DIY this? Thanks for all your help on this guys. I should have come here first and I wouldn't be nearly so stressed out.

It will work fine with your 920.

To swap mine between bikes, all I need is a torque wrench to loosen/tighten 3 bolts.  It's about a 2 minute job.

edit to add: The torque wrench is good to have but you wouldn't *need* it.  The crank bolt is just finger tight and the other two have a range of 10 - 14 nm so as long as you have a reasonable idea of how much that is you'd be ok without it (but I'd still have one!).

edit #2:  I'm not sure what you would need to get the new BB installed.  Mine had the proper one already.

I'm just marking the decision point that causes him to completely lose it.

I have a torque wrench, so that's not what's going to send me to the asylum just yet.
2015-09-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: mobey

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mobey

Ok. So I believe I mimicked this order. See below. So I only have three questions before I pull the trigger:

1. Just for my own edification; how does this measure both legs? Is it becuase the torque on the chain ring can be measured from force applied to either pedal? Or is there a sensor on each crank?

2. Will this sync to my Garmin 920xt? I don't have a bike computer.

3. What tools will I need to DIY this?

Thanks for all your help on this guys. I should have come here first and I wouldn't be nearly so stressed out.

To answer question #3, you will need two bottom bracket tools and a crank puller for the old cranks. One for the old square taper bottom bracket and one for the new MegaExo bottom bracket (plus a wrench to turn the tools, but I'm assuming you have that - ratchet or adjustable). I'm guessing you'd be looking at around $50 to $60 in tools.

If you're going to wrench on your own bike, it's a worthwhile investment. If you're not, it's probably cheaper to have your LBS do it. An experienced mechanic should be able to swap the bottom brackets and cranks in 15 minutes or less.

Here are links to the tools an Amazon (lots of other options available):

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Puller-Square-Cranks/dp/B001VS1M20

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-BBT-22-Shimano-Cartridge/dp/B001A0A...

http://www.amazon.com/FSA-Bottom-Bracket-Spanner-Wrench/dp/B005MK45...

Thanks for this information. I like to do these things myself just so I have the understanding in the future. That and I live in a bit of an out of the way place where my LBS, by his own semi-apologetic admission, "mostly deals with beach cruisers"

2015-09-22 11:59 AM

Master
Northern IL

If you're looking into getting the tools, would suggest looking at a tool kit. I picked up a Park AK-37 on Ebay a few years ago for like $100 and it includes the tools for everything you're doing. I think the most recent version of this is the AK-40. The value of doing this can be rather significant in comparison to piecing a kit together out of separate purchases.

2015-09-22 1:58 PM

User image

IMHO, I think you should go with the Powertap P1 pedals.  A little more cost, but in the long run I think they will be worth it for you in terms of simplicity, reliability, and ease of maintenance and swapping between bikes.

You're a bit of a basket case/worry wart.  Get the solution that will allow your mind to focus on training.  LOL  

2015-09-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Jason N

IMHO, I think you should go with the Powertap P1 pedals.  A little more cost, but in the long run I think they will be worth it for you in terms of simplicity, reliability, and ease of maintenance and swapping between bikes.

You're a bit of a basket case/worry wart.  Get the solution that will allow your mind to focus on training.  LOL  

ok so since you brought this up I'm gonna do a little hijack because I think I'm between the powertap pedals and the p2m myself.

Powertap pedals:
pros: easy to swap between bikes, it's POWERTAP (proven performance), dual sided power, easy battery swap
cons: expensive, coach doesn't like pedals because of the greater likely hood of damange in a crash etc, I ride speedplay pedals now although I've been thinking about trying another type without the free float

power2max spider/cranks:
pro: bang for the buck, keep pedals
cons: estimated left leg power, can't swap bikes (different cranks/bbs)

I also like Quarq and SRM but if I'm going crank I'd probably go for p2m for $$

right?
2015-09-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

With the given adapters available on the market today, there are a lot of cranks that can work on a variety of BBs.  It just takes a little bit of homework, an adapter, a few tools, and some minor wrench skills.

But some people just need an easy solution that works.  The OP may be one of those people.  .  All he needs is a pedal wrench and he's good to go.  Granted, I don't know what type of pedals he's currently using, so that may be a deal breaker for him.  A PT hub may be even better, but I believe he already has race wheels.

2015-09-22 3:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

The P1 pedals got a good review from DC Rainmaker. But they have little field data available.
Early indications are several users are getting data spikes. I suspect it will get worked out with time but they are not proven perfect quite yet. There re several occurences of it in the comments on DC's site.
With a single bike for a person on a budget, P2M still seems like a great solution.
I am sincerely worried about 3mar's health if his wife sees the cost of the P1s.

2015-09-22 3:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Well...technically it's just the difference in price from the gift he's getting.

Didn't know about the reported spikes.  Wasn't paying too much attention and everything I saw was good.

I agree though that P2M is by far the best bang for your buck.  

2015-09-22 5:07 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Ok. Pulling the trigger. I emailed P2M and they confirmed that the what was suggested here will indeed work for my bike. I'm also getting all the tools to do it myself. I watched videos on each step and they seem easy enough. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post the final product when I'm done.

2015-09-22 6:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Ok. Pulling the trigger. I emailed P2M and they confirmed that the what was suggested here will indeed work for my bike. I'm also getting all the tools to do it myself. I watched videos on each step and they seem easy enough. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post the final product when I'm done.

I think I'm right behind you! (except I have the tools )

good luck!
2015-09-22 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN

Congrats! Feel free to reach out if you have any wrenching questions.
2015-10-03 6:10 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
And it was done! Thanks to everyone here, I had all the tools I needed and a compatible BB and crank. The only issue I ran into was getting one of the pedals off. However it's all done now. Everythings turning and cranking and humming along.

.....so now what? I've got Beach to Battleship in just over two weeks so I just started my taper. I'm thinking this wouldn't be the best time to do an FTP test. So do I just use it as FYI for now? Is there any reasonable amount of data I can get through my taper to use it for pacing at the race? Any good guides to training with a PM for when the race is over?

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (100KB - 8 downloads)

2015-10-03 6:26 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice!

I certainly wouldn't do an FTP test now.   Between now and race day, I would just observe.  What does 150w, 200w, 225w etc. feel like?  Don't specifically try them out, just take note.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meters giving me a power headache..please help Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Help with power meters

Started by trmat79
Views: 1651 Posts: 22

2011-11-25 6:32 PM Skippy74

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2395 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Base Training - First Time With Power Meter Help

Started by slow triathlete
Views: 1178 Posts: 9

2008-10-24 9:35 AM Birkierunner

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1939 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.