General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free vs Paid Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-22 6:43 AM

User image

Subject: Free vs Paid Training Plan
What is the value of "paying" for a training plan versus using a "free" training plan? I have done 3 HIM's and am looking to do the full next year. I've never purchased a training plan, and am curious what the value is.

2015-09-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: Limewhite

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Free vs Paid Training Plan
Are you referring to plans on this site?? If so, the difference is mainly that getting one of the paid memberships gives you access to a bigger choice of plans. Most of the free plans (though not all) are beginner level. Most of the intermediate and advanced plans come with paid memberships. I have used both the beginner and intermediate HIM plans on this site; the former is free and the latter with a paid membership (I think silver). Both were fine and I would say of similar quality. Haven't done full IM but it looks like there is a free beginner plan there. It's just a matter of what suits your needs better.

I think the bigger difference is between a "canned" plan on a website or in a book and a truly customized plan created for you by a coach, not between free and paid plans on a website.
2015-09-22 9:19 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Subject: RE: Free vs Paid Training Plan
Yes, I was referring specifically to this site, but as well to other sites. Thanks for the feedback...it's about what I expected. Short of a coach, managing a beginner plan up to one's level doesn't seem too hard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free vs Paid Training Plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan

Started by ironcop17
Views: 10899 Posts: 18

2012-11-26 8:53 PM japewang

training plans available without a paying membership?

Started by lilmissgutz
Views: 1033 Posts: 3

2010-12-22 9:42 AM Tri Take Me Away

Free IM Training Plans???

Started by 3Aims
Views: 2937 Posts: 15

2010-12-06 2:46 PM nerdjock

Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training

Started by timebaron
Views: 2446 Posts: 20

2008-04-10 3:49 PM timebaron

Free 1/2 Iron Training Plan

Started by bearvb
Views: 833 Posts: 2

2006-03-09 9:00 AM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 11
Triathlon traning programs and plans from sprints and olympics to 1/2 and full Ironmans

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.