General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-25 10:50 PM

Subject: Hoka One One
Any Hoka runners here. I might give em a go if the consensus here is positive.
Tyler

2015-09-26 6:13 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Hoka One One
It's all I run in anymore. They have been game changers for me. I really like the Bondi's.
2015-09-26 6:31 AM
in reply to: #5143190

I use the Stinson lite and have been very satisfied. I switched to them trying to help with a PF issue, and between the cushion and a PF insert I am mostly pain free. Some complain about the toe box on the Hoka but it works for me. My only complaint is that the shoe (particularly the only color is could find in my size) is hideous.
2015-09-26 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Only shoe I have used the last three years.  I use the Bondi as my main running shoe, mix in the Conquest on occasion, and race in the Clifton.

I was having some foot issues about three years ago that I could not get rid of no matter what.  Doctors couldn't help, rest didn't help, PT didn't help, trying different shoes didn't work.  I read an article by Dan Empfield about the Hokas (his "Mad Calf Disease" article) and decided to give them a try.  I was "this" close to quitting running.  Hokas solved a problem that an ortho surgeon couldn't.

I haven't had a problem since.

2015-09-26 11:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
pretty happy with Hoka's ...have had and used Bondi, Bondi II, Bondi III, Conquest I, Conquest II, Stinson, and now ATR.

I've done 3 IM's and bunch of other tri's in them & lots of training miles...so Yep, I'm a Hoka fan.

Although nothing is perfect, and neither are all the models they come out with, but generally a great shoe for me.

I do also now use SuperFeet insoles in them as well, which sort makes it heavy but good support for me.
2015-09-27 8:20 AM
in reply to: benddontbreak

, Wisconsin
Bought Stinson 3s about 2 months ago. 2-3 times as much as I normally spend on running shoes. My 61 yr/old legs and back seem to be thanking me. I will more than likely continue to invest in new ones as needed. I MIGHT even consider a set of Cliftons to race in, otherwise I will just use my older Nikes for the 5-8 times I race a year.

2015-09-27 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have recurrent metatarsalgia in my right foot. This always made training for distance running events (ie, HM) and weekly LSD runs a painful experience. Started running on Hokas 3 years ago and I would say that foot pain is down at least 80%. Not entirely gone, but very manageable.

Needless to say, I run in nothing else now. One cautionary note: There is quite a bit of difference in the various models, take the time to do your homework and make an informed decision before you buy.

(IMG_0401.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0401.jpg (598KB - 5 downloads)
2015-09-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I was up to 2 weeks ago running in the Hoka Conquest shoe.  Had to stop using them because the are too tight in the fore foot area.  I have been dealing with a Mortons Neuroma and my doc told me that they are too tight of a shoe for me.  Otherwise I loved the comfort (not the softest) and 4mm drop of them.  I had surgery to remove the neuroma 3.5 weeks ago, still in the recovery process, and am researching my next pair of cushioned shoes.  This weekend I tried on Altra Torin's and Sketchers GOrun Ultra 2.  The Torin's felt ok, 0 drop, tons of room, need to try the Paradigm shoe. I did like the Sketcher, soft, lots of room, 4 or 8mm drop depending on the inset.

Note, on the previous generation of Hoka's: For volume Bondi>Conquest>Clifton, for cushioning it was Bondi>Clifton>Conquest 

Can't say for sure the same applies to the current versions.

Edit, I do not have wide feet, Hoka's are just a narrow show for the medium width they are suppose to be.

Edited by Donto 2015-09-27 4:04 PM
2015-09-27 8:33 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Just bought my second set of Cliftons. Greatest shoes I've ever worn. you won't be disappointed as long as the fit well
2015-09-27 10:59 PM
in reply to: Nussy

, Tennessee
I never thought I would try Hoka's (I honestly laughed at them when they first came out, that sole is crazy thick), but the owner of the local running store convinced me to try a pair on and I love them! I have run in Brooks Pure Flow, Brooks Pure Cadence, Altra Torin, and Altra 1squared. I liked all of them too but my Hoka's have a slightly different feel than other shoes I have worn.I love them so far.

As far as Altra's, those a a great choice for those who might need a wider toebox (like the PP with Morton's Neuroma). They really let your foot spread out naturally when you strike the ground and aren't in the least bit constricting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One Rss Feed