General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Season Recap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-26 2:08 PM

User image

Subject: Season Recap
It looks like we are just about done with tri season in MI. I'm sure a few of you, like me, are working towards a fall marathon (Grand Rapids). Anyone have any thoughts on how their season went? Lessons learned, best races, worst races, etc?

I started the season with a few non-triathlon races...Barry Roubaix and the Riverbank Run being the big ones. I recommend Barry to anyone with a CX or mountain bike. I had an absolute blast despite the temps (around 10 degrees) and my lack of cold weather gear. I races the Rivertown Races half marathon a couple of weeks before the Riverbank Run and set a huge PR (around 13 minutes faster than the Gr half in the fall of 2014). Unfortunately I should have listened to a more experienced teammate and not races Rivertown as I was still recovering when Riverbank came around. I still managed a 20-30 minute PR, but was capable of better. I've decided to use Riverbank as my yearly measuring stick and hope to come in around 2:15 next year and then I'll start focusing on the two hour club!

I focused on the Olympic distance in this, my 2nd year as a triathlete. I started with a very wet Grand Rapids tri. I volunteered to help set up transition the day before and had a good time. The race was wet but I still managed to have fun, and set a PR, though it was my first Oly so it doesn't really count . Next up was Tri Del Sol. I had a solid swim and randomly found myself riding with three training buddies (legally) who all shared my name. The run was cancelled due to lightning but a few of us pretended we didn't see the giant yellow school bus they were attempting to herd people onto and finished anyways. I struggled on the run but learned I had the wrong shoes, which didn't help. I finished my tri season by adding Petoskey, which was my first tri the year before (sprint). I took first in my age group despite blowing up on the run. I learned all about gears and that not having the correct gears up front SUCKS! As I said, I am currently training for the Grand Rapids Marathon in a few weeks and have implemented a 4/1 run/walk ratio due to some nagging injuries affecting my training. I ran 20 miles for the first time today and had a blast.

So what's next? I had originally planned on focusing on the 70.3 distance next year but after watching so many friends and teammates cross the finish line at WI I couldn't resist and am signed up for my first full. I'm a nerd so I've spent the past two weeks researching, ordered a new compact crankset for my bike (complete with power meter), and have a soreadsheet ready to go for pretty much the next year . I can't wait to get started! Grand Rapids half will be my first 70.3 next year and then possibly Steelhead to practice race day nutrition one final time. I will also be racing Barry Roubaix and Riverbank.

So how did everyone else do? I realized about halfway through that this was going to be long and that I probably shouldn't have used my phone, so please forgive any typos!

2015-09-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: #5143257

Subject: RE: Season Recap
Nice!! Good luck in GR, I'll be there cheering my sister on at her first full. Should be fun.

No triathlon this year as I was focused on training for Twin Cities. Then I had a couple of weird heart arrhythmia and pulled the plug on my marathon. Heading to the doctor this week to find out about some test results and am guardedly optimistic that it is only a minor prolapse. My yoga has improved tremendously over the last couple of months!!

If I get the green light the plan is sprints in 2016, a significant shift from the return to 70.3 I was eyeing originally.
2015-09-27 9:24 PM
in reply to: 0

First "season" ever, wasn't even really planning to do a tri this year. I took up biking to minimize some nagging run injuries. Then realized I was getting pretty fast on the bike, and I've swam forever. Before I could change my mind, I signed up for an Olympic after getting dome good advice from a neighbor.

I think I messed up my gel intake on the bike (too close to the run) and had to walk some of the 10K because my stomach was ruined. Had a ton of fun though and came in just under my goal of 3 hours. Don't really have the itch to do another that many folks told me I would. But I think I might try a "marathon" swim next (10K OWS).

Good luck in GR!

Edited by H2OhNo 2015-09-27 9:24 PM
2015-09-30 1:11 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

Hello from a fellow West Michigan athlete!

This has been a wet season indeed!

My first race was the Riverbank, rained the whole way. I ran way too hard and dropped from 7:xx miles at the start to 9:30 final mile.

Did the GR Tri Oly, my first race of that length, wet the whole way. Finished under 3:00. I was pretty happy with that.

Did the MiTi 70.3, got rained out and had to get trucked back to the finish line. Was having a bad run anyways, wanted to finish but the rain chilled me and I was getting way too cold.

Went to Cedar Point for redemption and had a pretty solid performance, went 6:30 which was above my goal of 6:00, but had a good time.

I think you and I both did a 20 miler this weekend. Still recovering from that, I had a 13 mile run a week before so I am pretty beat up.

Looking forward to my final race of the year at GR Marathon.

Next year I am going to focus on Oly length. I might do a half or full relay if I can find a someone do to the bike leg. That long on a bike is just not enjoyable to me right now. If anyone is interested in doing a MiTi full next year, I can provide a 1:20 swim and sub-4 run.
2015-10-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: beercity

User image

Wow... our schedules were pretty similar! I also raced Tri Del Sol which was rained out.

I might be up for a MiTi relay next year. I'm not the fastest on the bike, but it's been suggested that it's a good workout before WI.
2015-10-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: beercity

User image

Originally posted by beercity
Next year I am going to focus on Oly length. I might do a half or full relay if I can find a someone do to the bike leg. That long on a bike is just not enjoyable to me right now. If anyone is interested in doing a MiTi full next year, I can provide a 1:20 swim and sub-4 run.

You know, I was just saying to my wife that I wanted to do a century ride next summer. 112 as part of a relay might be fun. Although I'm not a super stud biker or anything (1:20 40k). Are there McMillan type calculators for biking?

(Had a good season -- a couple of course PRs, and my first Olympic distance finish this year. I'm planning on another season of Olympic distance races before possibly trying a 70.3 in 2017.)

2015-10-02 7:23 PM
in reply to: #5143257

User image

Great thread. I think this is a great way to reflect positively on our successes and learn from our mistakes.

I went into this season with ~8 races I was eyeballing, focusing on 3-4 70.3s. Well, my wife found out we were pregnant with our 3rd child in February, so my wife was not too thrilled with the travel & expense. So, like a good husband, I negotiated with my wife: go down to 4 races, but she lets me do my 2nd Ironman. Negotiation complete.

I have started each of the last 2 seasons with Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

PR'd at Bayshore by 47 minutes.

Big Fish in Ortonville - Rained Out. Race still went on, but it was nasty and I skipped it. Not worth hypothermia or crashing on the bike.

TRI in Holly - First DQ. Run course was marked poorly and I missed a turn.

The Experience in Frankenmuth - 2nd in my Age Group and overall great race. Met Kona Amatuer champion, Dan Stubleski. Awesome guy. Extremely humble. Great to talk to.

Ironman Muskoka - Very challenging course. 7,000' if climbing on the bike and another 2,500' of climbing on the run. Gorgeous country. This race is about 1.5 hours north of Toronto.

Tawas Featival of Races - This race almost killed me. Only 2 weeks after the IM and I opted for the 70.3. Bad idea. Cold front came through and I have never swam in that cold of water. 54 degrees. Air temp was 56. Sucked badly. Will probably never do the 70.3 there again. Spent 10 minutes in T1 trying to warm up.

Brooksie Way Half Marathon - PR'd by a minute. Set a goal time of 1:35, but came in at 1:38:55. I think my body was overworked from the previous month of racing.

All in all, a great season. Focusing only on 70.3 next year. Hired a coach to structure my training and a nutritionist to adjust my diet.

Bring on 2016!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Season Recap Rss Feed