General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting masters swim - any tips for newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-27 8:19 AM

, Ontario
Subject: Starting masters swim - any tips for newbie
I haven't taken swimming lessons or swum in a group setting since I was 14 years old. I couldn't find a one on one coach and couldn't make improvement alone after three years returning to swimming (I got up to 2.5 km in. 50 m pool but couldn't seem to improve my speed). I was able to find a masters group focused on triathletes but I'm quite stressed about it. I still consider myself a beginner triathlete although I'm in my third year of doing triathlons. I'm slow and close to middle aged with a full time job and young kids as well as a bad habit to deal with stress through cola and nachos to ever become really fast. My goal is to get better and improve technique so I avoid injury. I train alone. I bike alone. I swim alone. I run alone. Im not used to or keen on group training sessions but so many people seem to rave that this sport and their train group is such a great social thing (and I really want to improve) that I'm going to take myself out of my comfort zone and go.

I have basic swim gear as well as a buoy and hand pulls. I don't have flippers. Are there any tips anyone has about equipment or etiquette for masters groups anyone can share? Even small things, like a friend warning me that it is polite to lift your hand to wave at bicyclists coming the other way on training rides, really help my stress.

2015-09-27 8:55 AM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Starting masters swim - any tips for newbie
First, I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Most masters groups have a pretty wide range of ages, body types, and abilities. Most people in my group (that I swim with in the summer) are middle aged or better, most have kids and jobs, many are slow, and probably a lot of them eat too many nachos sometimes! We all have our vices. That being said, tips I can think of might include:

*Let the coach know your concerns. Ask him/her what's the best lane for you to swim in, and don't be afraid to ask any questions to clarify the workout. (Other swimmers are usually glad to explain as well.)

*I would wait on equipment until you know what is available at practice. At most of the pools and masters clubs I've swum at, pull buoys, kickboards, and sometimes fins are available, though a few people have their own. In my club, more people bring their own paddles as people prefer different sizes.

*When you can, learn flip turns. It really helps the workout go more smoothly if most other people in your lane do them. (I'm a fairly fast swimmer but occasionally in cold water my back cramps and I just physically can't do them; a few years ago I bruised some ribs in an accident and couldn't flip for two or three weeks. It drove everyone nuts--I'd be going at a god pace, then slow down at every wall!)

*Someone tapping your feet means they want to pass. Let them go by (if they can without crashing) beside you, or let them go in front on the next repeat.

*For the more pure-swimmer type clubs (you'll know!), wearing a wetsuit to practice, or mentioning triathlon, might give rise to some ribbing. I sometimes wear my mini-wetsuit when the water's cold due to the aforementioned cramping, and had people griping about "triathletes who can't swim without wetsuits" and (after I beat some of the gripers) "unfair buoyancy advantage". They (mostly older guys with big egos) finally shut up when I completed the club's "800m IM challenge", sans wetsuit.
2015-09-27 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5143316

, Ontario
Thank you for the encouragement and tips!
2015-09-27 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The US Masters Swimming website has series of articles called "Masters Swimming 101"  that will probably answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=1924

If nothing else, don't be afraid to ask questions.  Everyone else was also new once and went through the same things.  Don't worry if you can't do the entire workout at first, or if you need to take rest breaks occasionally.  Just stick with it and you'll start to see improvement.

Above all, have fun!

Good luck.

Mark

2015-09-27 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Learn how to read the pace clock.
2015-09-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by simpsonbo Learn how to read the pace clock.

True.  It's analog. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting masters swim - any tips for newbie Rss Feed