United States
Vineman, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 36m 1s
Overall Rank = 134/385
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/20
Pre-race routine:

Traveled on Thursday. Arrived in Sacramento at 1:30 and we picked up a rental car and headed for Winsdor to pick up my bike from Tribike Transport. TBT said that they were opened until 5pm. We arrived in Windsor at 4:15 and they were closed. I called their event phone number and they had their representative come back to their tent and I was able to get my bike. He arrived just before 5:00. I asked to borrow his bike pump (they said don't pack a pump, we'll have one in the truck) and he said that he didn't have a pump but there was supposed to be one. I ended up borrowing the the use of a pump from someone at my hotel.

By then we were starving since it was well past dinner time in the time zone that we started the day. We ended up going to Whole Foods and getting something from the hot bar and picking up some supplies for our hotel room.

Then we drove to Guerneville where were were staying for the race portion of our stay. The place that were stayed was roughly two blocks from T1 and therefore deemed "sherpa friendly."

Friday morning ride to Korbel and Russian River swim
Packet pickup, expo, set up T2, drive the course, pizza dinner in Guerneville
Goals
1. Finish with a smile on my face
2. Daylight finish
3. Improved IM run
4. Improved course time (notsomuch)

Race morning 4:15 wake up call
Breakfast (bagel, pb, banana, ensure, water with CamelBak Elixir). So nervous or so much adrenaline or whatever, that I was shaking.
Walk to T1, pump tires
Oops, forgot the towel, back to the hotel
Bathroom, wetsuit
Event warmup:

Walking back and forth from the hotel.
Swim
  • 1h 41m 1s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temperature was 72. The swim takes place in the Russian River. There is a dam in Guerneville which makes it somewhat like a long lake for swimming. The water is 3-7 feet deep during the swim. It was a bit shallow under the bridges and quite shallow at the upstream turnaround. The swim for the Full Vineman is two laps with a start at the dam, an upstream turnaround, a turnaround at the start and the upstream turnaround again with an exit on the beach portion of Johnson's Beach. The entrance to the water at the start is quite rocky (lots of gravel size stones) and the bottom of the river at the exit is also stones as opposed to sand or mud.

Goggle issues. I was swimming well, got to the first turnaround upstream and was really happy with how things were going. Shortly after that, though, my goggles started to leak. Of course this was where I could not touch down to fix them so I swam without really being able to see until I got to the shallower section by the bridges. I sort of fixed them there, went to the turnaround by the dam and went back to the bridges, really fixed them at this point and then was good to go the rest of the event. T1 was faster than in 2012 so the swim+transition time was similar. 1:41:01 (was aiming for 1:35) - 15th in my age group
What would you do differently?:

Continue swim training
Transition 1
  • 06m 12s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers, run to rack, add bike jersey, socks, shoes, helmet w/headsweats, sunglasses, gloves, put EFS-LS in pockets, shove gear into bag, grab bike, run up hill, GO!

It was a good plan to leave on the shorts rather than change into dry shorts. It was also a good plan to use a short sleeve bike jersey. It was 52 degrees and the marine layer stuck around for a while before the sun came out.
Bike
  • 6h 53m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I don’t know what happened here. During the first lap of the bike, I was passing a lot of people (well, at least until the younger guys entered in the aquabike caught me) but my speed was just not what I was expecting. I spent a lot of this lap beating myself up about the speed. Go faster, legs! More power! By the second lap, I had entered the acceptance phase and had more fun with it. As it turned out, my bike was just fine when compared to others. Still, after getting off the bike, I felt "behind." I did not stop at all on the bike. It kinda looks like I was not the only one in my age group that had this experience but honestly, I’m pretty disappointed with the bike.

Regarding nutrition: I stuck to the EFS liquid shot + Clif Shot Blok plan -- two EFS liquid shot bottles in jersey pockets, three Clif Shot Bloks (cut in half) in Bento, one serving EFS in each of two bottles. One Shot Blok every 20 minutes. Fill BTA before aid station add 1/2 EFS, drop bottle, get new bottle at aid station. (1470 calories on the bike)

Weather: It was 52 degrees when I got on the bike and in the low 80s when I got off. Winds were reported 7 mph in Healdsburg and 14 mph in Santa Rosa during the second loop of the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Ride faster
Transition 2
  • 10m 16s
Comments:

Long run around the high school with the bike to get into transition.

Change from bike jersey to tri top. Remove bike shoes and socks, add run socks and shoes. Put on hat and sunglasses. Put two Clif gels into pockets. GO! Eat first gel just before the first aid station.

I thought about skipping the port-a-pot here but as I was running past them, I noticed that they were empty so I made a quick pit stop before heading out on the run. Legs felt surprisingly good!
Run
  • 4h 45m 10s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

While I did not make my stretch goal for the run portion of this event, I did manage my fastest Ironman run by nearly 10 minutes so that's good! This is not an easy run with over 1200 climbing feet. I used the bathroom in T2 because I could see that it was free and it was on my way. I stopped again after the first lap (mile 9 or so) and I waited to stop a final time on the last lap but that time it was a false alarm. Regarding nutrition: I had a Clif branded “gu” at mile 1, mile 5 and mile 10. I knew then that I could not stomach another one so I switched to Coke ant water. That was too much liquid -- too sloshy -- so I went
with Coke at every aid station for the remainder of the run. I was second in my age group on the run.

Weather: The high for the day was in the low 80s (81 in Santa Rosa, 83 in Healdsburg) with max winds of 17 mph.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The good news is that I had a great time in California! We brought back way too much wine. Such problems!

Event comments:

This is a good destination race. The river swim was a nice change and the bike course was hilly and challenging but doable. The road conditions, while not stellar, were not awful. The run was hilly so if you do this course, be prepared for that.

As an athlete, I think that this was a great event. I was treated well and there were a lot of volunteers on both the bike and run course.

I hope to do this event again in the future.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:41:01 | 4224 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 304/385
Performance:
Suit: sleveless wetsuit
Course: Two loops in the Russian River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:53:12 | 112 miles | 16.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 202/385
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops around Windsor. Two opportunities to conquer Chalk Hill.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:45:10 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 80/385
Performance:
Course: Three hilly out and backs in Windsor
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-27 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Full Vineman Triathlon

2015-09-27 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5143364

User image

Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon
Yay - your race report!!

Leaking goggles are really irritating! Glad you got the problem resolved and could finish sans water in the eyes. I hate when our legs have minds of their own and don't listen to our "go faster legs!" Worse is when you think you finally are pedaling faster but your speed is dropping ( not like that happened to me in IMB..). 10 min PR on the run? Awesome!!

I think this race might be on my list in a few years. It sounds like a beautiful course.

Great race!!
2015-09-28 10:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
You rocked it Janyne, congrats! I had to laugh at you shaking prior to the race, I've definitely been there before! Great RR up until you said "too much wine" WTF?!?!! LOL!!!
2015-09-28 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great job on the race (and the RR)! The smile on your face in the pix says it all.

Sounds like a fun and challenging course.

2015-09-28 11:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Great job out there! So impressed with all your times, especially your run on that hilly course!!
WINE! 

2015-09-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Nice work out there! Sounds like a good day! 

Is there really such a thing as too much wine?? ha! 

2015-09-28 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
JANYNE !!!!!!!!

Great work on this race and you looked so calm and collected. I still can't get my head around running 26.2 after 112 miles on the bike.

2015-09-28 5:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You kicked some butt in that race.  Leaky goggles suck. Wind and hills suck, you stuck it out and got an IM PR for the run .  Well done!

Edited by QueenZipp 2015-09-28 5:06 PM
2015-09-29 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job, congratulations on a race well done!

2015-09-29 4:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Great job Janyne! Lots of smiling going on in these photos!

And if bringing home too much wine was one of your only complaints I'd say you can't do much better.

Fastest run in an IM too. Interesting considering slower than expected on bike! 

2015-09-30 12:13 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I've been anxiously awaiting this RR, and now I'm confused by something you wrote: "We brought back too much wine"  Does. Not. Compute. 

But seriously, great job out there both physically and mentally.  You kept your head about you with the goggle issue and didn't let your perceived bike time mess with your head for long, either.  2nd AG on the run, wow!  Nice work.  Your consistency and dedication paid off.

2015-10-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great race Janyne.  Strong overall but am really impressed with your run.  I've done this race twice so I know firsthand how tough the constant hills are and the one before the turnaround is a killer.  Well done. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Full Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by popsracer
Views: 2661 Posts: 8

2011-08-09 4:17 PM cbrave

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3243 Posts: 10

2011-08-28 10:14 AM enginerd

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by wavedog
Views: 3087 Posts: 12

2011-08-08 10:05 PM MissKelly

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by triOK
Views: 3434 Posts: 12

2011-08-07 12:38 AM ecpasos

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by WillP
Views: 2532 Posts: 8

2011-08-07 10:46 AM jngai94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.