General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain from Seat Adjustment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-28 5:37 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Knee Pain from Seat Adjustment
I have recently dropped my bike seat a bit. After taking a picture on my trainer and posting it here, it was pretty obvious that my seat was too high as my leg was completely straight when my pedal was down (see the first picture below). After that (about two weeks ago) I dropped my seat, along with my aero bars and since then I have had constant knee pain. I wouldn't call it pain, like acute sharp pain from an injury, but more like prolonged soreness. It is concentrated directly behind my knee cap on both knees equally. Especially when bending my knee any more than 90 degrees. It doesn't affect me at all when running or walking. I feel it every time on the bike though. The second picture is the result of the changes.

I'm pretty certain the second position is better. Is this something that I just have to let run its course. i.e. is it just getting new muscles up to snuff? Or should I work on tweaking my position more? Here's the twist; I'm doing Beach to Battleship in just over three weeks, so I'd rather not make any changes at this point unless I could be leading to injury. If it's just a matter of dealing with the pain, then I'm fine with that. I just don't want to get injured.

PS I realize I need a legitimate bike fit. I'm moving back to civilization next month and that is one of the first things I plan on doing. But for now I've got to stick with DIY.

Edit: it did not post my pictures in the right order. So the "before" picture is the one with my leg stick straight. The after has more of a bend in the knee.

Edited by 3mar 2015-09-28 5:41 PM

(after.JPG)

(Picture1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
after.JPG (119KB - 2 downloads)
Picture1.jpg (41KB - 2 downloads)

2015-09-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Knee Pain from Seat Adjustment

Are both of those pics static, ie are you pedalling or stopped. If stopped, video yourself pedalling and freeze the frame at bottom of pedal stroke.

Edited by marcag 2015-09-28 5:54 PM
2015-09-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
It was static. But I had my wife take a video too. Here is a still with my leg at the bottom.

(zzzzz.png)

Attachments
----------------
zzzzz.png (1492KB - 2 downloads)
2015-09-28 5:58 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

You're leg position still doesn't look quite right, and you're sat 'on the rivet'.
The thing is it could be anything so I'd stay off the bike for now and save any injury.

This is a good tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxz2cwOKyE

http://www.triathlondaddy.com
2015-09-28 7:53 PM

Check out the angle of your bicep relative to the ground - it is quite different. Do you know why? That could be a factor.

When you drop your seat, depending on your seat tube angle + seat post angle you may need to slide the seat fore/aft appropriately.

It's kind of dicey to move everything around without a professional eye. unless your previous position was causing issues, I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. I'd consider switching back.
2015-09-29 3:29 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Changing your seat height can result in knee pain. Changing your bike geometry can do the same.

Sometimes it takes some adjustment time for the tendons, and muscles to adjust. But it could be a bad position as well.

For example, I get patella pain when I switch from my TT bike to my MTB, after training for awhile on one or the other. Because it is just different geometry and it takes some time for my legs to adjust.

http://www.cptips.com/knee2.htm

2015-09-29 7:19 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Too much too fast; new position does not look bad but I was always told when adjusting the seat height never go more than 1/8" at a time. Sounds funny but it takes time for you body to adjust, the forces on your legs are different but your still trying to go just as hard and fast.
2015-09-29 7:38 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Originally posted by mike761

Too much too fast; new position does not look bad but I was always told when adjusting the seat height never go more than 1/8" at a time. Sounds funny but it takes time for you body to adjust, the forces on your legs are different but your still trying to go just as hard and fast.

I see this idea expressed quite a bit so I am not attacking you directly, but as a professional bike fitter with over 1000 fits to my name, here is what I think about incremental changes in general:

There is an ideal position out there for you, just waiting to be found by you and maybe your fitter. This is what I would call your bik fit DNA. This doesnt change much over the course of your life. Get to it! As fast as you can. If you slowly move the seat or drop the bars over time, you are not 'gradually adjusting' or whatever else you want to call it. You are riding a crappy position until you get around to riding a good one. You are also staying in the adapatation stage for much longer than needed. Rip the bandaid off. If your seat was 2cm too high, dont drop it a half centimeter 4 times over the course of a month. Drop it! The 'adaptive soreness' that comes from a correct position will never injure you and will pass quickly. Riding with your seat 2 or 1.5 or 1 or .5cm too high can cause BOTH adaption soreness AND injury.

To the OP, I think it looks good. Knee is probably responding to the seat height you rode for awhile. Maybe drop it another .5cm and see if that helps. Or find a good fitter with a dynamic fit bike and REALLY get to your seat height DNA.
2015-09-29 7:53 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everyone for your input. I took the seat up slightly again towards the old position and the knee pain was almost gone today on the trainer. For now, I'm going to stick with what doesn't hurt just to get through this race and until I can move where I'll be close enough to a fitter to get this done right once and for all. I had my wife shoot a video of me riding today with the seat adjusted up and posted it here:

https://youtu.be/8x6-G2vRPJI

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain from Seat Adjustment Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Butt pain coincide with knee pain?

Started by smiletodayok
Views: 1545 Posts: 6

2012-12-18 1:58 AM smiletodayok

posteior knee-pain: seat NOT 2 high.

Started by Porfirio
Views: 597 Posts: 2

2009-08-13 1:33 PM moondawg14

knee pain - left knee, right side

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 3333 Posts: 3

2008-01-20 12:14 AM badnews

bike seat adjustment problem!

Started by kellc09
Views: 541 Posts: 3

2006-07-28 10:49 AM kellc09

seat adjustments

Started by snoopy
Views: 486 Posts: 2

2005-07-08 8:06 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.