General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabike - bricks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-29 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Aquabike - bricks?

This season I transitioned to racing Aquabike due to a blown disk in my L5 area.  Over the years in triathlon I did brick workouts as part of my training plans, however maybe once or twice it was swim/bike, otherwise it's exclusively been bike/run.  And I'm thinking the only reason I did swim/bike was to practice transition, getting the wetsuit off etc.

After this season I'm wondering whether I should have implemented swim/bike bricks because I noticed in each race this summer (2 OLY, 1 sprint) my legs took a while to loosen up and get cranking on the bike... I honestly don't remember this feeling in triathlon so I'm wondering if I was thinking about the upcoming run portion to the point it took my mind off my bike legs?

Which brings me to my question:  How often should I do a brick over the course of an Aquabike training plan (for example a 15 week plan)?  I can definitely see the advantage of working on transition  however is there really much gained in the legs doing a brick vs. standalone bike workouts where I focus on hitting it as hard as possible right away?

Maybe I just thought i'd be much stronger on the bike because I didn't have to worry about the run when in reality it's still work...

2015-09-29 6:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Aquabike - bricks?
Swim-bike brick probably the most under-rated workout for triathletes. Moreso for aquabikers of course. How many is a good question. Something in the 3-10 range, depending on your experience, in the 2 months before an A race aquabike

Edited by Finding Freestyle 2015-09-29 7:01 PM
2015-09-30 8:33 AM
in reply to: Finding Freestyle

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I think I'll be doing more of them next season, the question is distance and intensity based on the progression of the training plan...

I haven't looked yet but I'm assuming there are AB training plans out there that will address bricks as part of the training..

2015-09-30 11:14 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
If they dont, they should. I am going to have some plans specific to aquabike up on Training Peaks by Jan 1st. I was lucky enough to win the first AB nationals a few years back, and I definitely credit being able to ride hard from the beginning to the swim-bike bricks I did. Partially mental, partially physica. You can train your body to switch over faster and you can train your mind to expect it to still suck.
2015-09-30 1:19 PM
in reply to: Finding Freestyle

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Finding Freestyle If they dont, they should. I am going to have some plans specific to aquabike up on Training Peaks by Jan 1st. I was lucky enough to win the first AB nationals a few years back, and I definitely credit being able to ride hard from the beginning to the swim-bike bricks I did. Partially mental, partially physica. You can train your body to switch over faster and you can train your mind to expect it to still suck.

This is where I'm at.  I think I was almost shocked I didn't feel supremely strong on the bike because hey, I didn't have to run afterwards... I can't honestly say if I know which was the bigger issue, mental or physical.  

On a different note, were you in town over the past week?  I watched every minute of televised coverage during the road race WC where Sagan killed it at the end.  Looked like a fantastic time and I'm kicking myself for not taking a trip there for the week.  Wasn't the last time the WC's were in the U.S. the late 80's?

Thanks for the information.

2015-09-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
I was on the top of 23rd street, front row, when Sagan went.

2015-09-30 4:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TriMike
Which brings me to my question:  How often should I do a brick over the course of an Aquabike training plan (for example a 15 week plan)?  

Watch this
http://bcove.me/c857v4l2

While the message in the first minute or so is important, the last 15 seconds are to your question.

PS : Siri is not the lady on your iPhone

Edited by marcag 2015-09-30 4:05 PM
2015-09-30 4:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Great video. Recall she is training professional ITU athletes for the most part. They have probably the highest need for swim-bike brick training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabike - bricks? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To brick or not to Brick

Started by snoopy
Views: 1222 Posts: 8

2006-07-31 12:50 AM browner6

why bricks are called bricks

Started by autumn
Views: 968 Posts: 10

2005-07-26 7:27 PM mhan22

To brick or not to brick??

Started by blessteve
Views: 1141 Posts: 11

2005-05-28 10:26 PM mtorment

when is a brick a brick?

Started by Mimir98
Views: 1035 Posts: 9

2004-12-23 10:32 PM webguy

Brickety Brick Brick

Started by teechur
Views: 860 Posts: 3

2004-05-26 12:10 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.

date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
Now, my question is, whether doing another simulated triathlon this weekend is a good idea or should I just rely on bricks to build my endurance and preparation level?

date : May 3, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 5
The 112/4 Race Rehearsal Brick. If done correctly, the RR is usually no more stressful than a regular training ride, and that is probably the point.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.