General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 53s
Overall Rank = 12/164
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 3/26
Pre-race routine:

Car was packed up the night before so as soon as I hit the road I eat my customary almond butter sandwich and banana while sipping on a nuun energy drink. I was on the road at 5AM for a 7AM start so I had enough time to digest.
Event warmup:

I did a short warmup of butt kicks, high knees, a few pushups and take a Gu Roctane about 15 mins before the start. I was feeling good and ready to race.
Swim
  • 21m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was warm so wetsuits weren't allowed. This didn't bother me much as outside of racing I never wear or train in my wetsuit. It was a 2 lap course which changed midway through the race. The race director told us before we went off that on the 2nd lap we didn't need to go through the starting orange buoys on lap 2 but as I made the turn I almost ran into a kayak who told me I did need to go through them. It was a little frustrating but I saw I wasn't the only one getting redirected so I just swam on. My sighting was bad but I blame that on athletes wearing yellow caps and having yellow buoys for us to circle. I also should have pushed myself more on the swim as I can swim faster but for some reason I didn't want to overdo it and leave myself running on empty.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder and do a better job finding a line and fast pair of feet to follow
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

With no wetsuit this made transition a breeze. It was a long run to transition but once I got to my rack socks and shoes went on, helmet was strapped on and off I went. I need to learn to bike without socks and work on pre-clipping my shoes into my pedals but overall I was pretty happy with the way everything went.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 24s
  • 22 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Besides a short climb coming out of transition the course was very fast with a lot of downhills. This was by far my best bike to date and I felt good pushing the whole course. I took one Gu halfway through lap 3 but overall I felt very good on my bike. It got a little chaotic with bikes on lap 2 but everyone was generally respectful of staying to the right.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I didn't realize how close the dismount line was after making the turn so I didn't have time to take my feet out of my shoes but I was able to unclip quickly and run to my spot. I once again had my lock laces snap on my while putting on my running shoes so I tied a quick knot and off I went. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me with Lock laces so clearly it's time for me to find a new pair of quick laces.
Run
  • 45m 40s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 34s  min/km
Comments:

I enjoyed the run except for the steep downhills followed by steep uphills. There was a lot of ups and downs on this course which definitely took a toll on my legs. Around mile 5 I started cramping but I saw someone in my age group just ahead of me and I was determined to beat him. As I pulled up beside him I cramped badly so I dropped back and had just enough gas in the tank to sprint the last half mile and I beat him in the end by about 15 seconds. I was shooting for a 45 min run so overall I wasn't far off my goal and was happy with the end result.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana, had a few oranges and got a massage while waiting for the awards ceremony, which took forever!

Event comments:

Race was very well organized and outside of the swim confusion it was a great race. I had fun and will be back!

Last updated: 2015-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:16 | 1500 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/164
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:24 | 22 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:40 | 10 kms | 04m 34s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-09-30 2:25 PM

User image

Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

Started by aggiebe
Views: 1137 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 8:40 AM aggiebe

Started by mashmead
Views: 1189 Posts: 2

2010-09-29 3:14 PM cbh

Started by rhetts
Views: 1356 Posts: 2

2010-09-27 12:28 PM Boogie7247

Started by antman
Views: 1272 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 10:29 AM antman

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by tri_sandz
Views: 1702 Posts: 7

2007-10-04 2:23 PM tri_sandz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.