General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-01 3:29 PM

Rockwall, Texas
Subject: First tri
am prepping to do the Rockwall sprint tri in a couple of weeks. Have been doing the beginner workout from this site since June. Just curious, but after the tri...then what? Other than getting hooked (which I've been told will happen), what workout program do I move to? Or do I simply repeat the 3x I've been doing? Also, any suggestions on "if I knew then what I know now" would be appreciated.

2015-10-01 4:07 PM
in reply to: biggfam5

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: First tri
This is my first year of triathlon adventure. I completed 3 sprints. Each race gave me an idea of what I should improve, what areas I should work on, what errors I made, etc.. It also helped me to see what my strengths are. So my plan for off season is to work on the form and anything that needs improvement and getting better with what is already good.
In my particular case I need to learn proper front crawl and then just work on the distance. I also decided to do core training, since that part of the body seems to be super important for each discipline

Good luck with your first race! You will love it
Mary
2015-10-01 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
good stuff that Mary said.

Get through this first tri and see how you feel.

You might want to sign up for something else and then make a plan for that, or you might want to drop into a maintenance plan for awhile and do some other fun things.

Enjoy your first triathlon ! it's a memorable time.
2015-10-01 5:27 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I agree with the above. Enjoy the tri and the saving account balance!

You can gauge your individual performances based on others in your AG or overall standing and go from there. BT has some winter maintenance plans, select "winter maintenance" under the distance option. There's a plan for individuals where they have already raced a Sprint Distance triathlon and want to continue with training. Others are 8 weeks in duration and are sport focused for swim, bike then run. You could adjust the durations to suit your fitness & needs.

In FL winter is the heart of the running race season so the off-season here can morph into other things.

2015-10-14 9:11 PM
in reply to: #5144279

Rockwall, Texas
Thanks for the insight. Officially registered for the event on Sunday and I'm kinda excited. How many (if any) days does it take to recuperate from a sprint? Will I feel like a run on Monday or is it wise to take a few days off before getting going again? I know it may depend on my body, but wondered if there was a rule of thumb.

Thanks!
2015-10-15 12:45 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
You won't need rest days after a sprint. You're talking about an hour to hour and a half event.

Good luck!

2015-10-15 10:13 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am a huge fan of a one day rest, just to relax and reflect on the race.
You should not be in a huge sore, if that's the biggest concern
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri Rss Feed