General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Step by step transition advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-02 2:15 PM

Subject: Step by step transition advice
Just curious as to people's set-ups for off-road tri's. I'm only doing a sprint.
My plan is to have my bike shorts under my wetsuit.
At my station have my shirt, shoes, socks and helmet ready with a snack and water bottle in my bike.
After the bike just take off the helmet and run.
Seems easy enough?
Can anyone point out some crucial details which may be helpful?
Thank you

2015-10-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: Cdam209

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Step by step transition advice

For starters are your bike shorts the traditional bike shorts with a big pad or are they tri shorts? Traditional bike shorts will make for a soggy diaper feel on the run. 

Secondly, pulling a shirt and socks on to a wet body can be challenging. Consider rolling the socks down so you can roll them on. As for the shirt, no suggestion there, I use a tri top that I wear under the wetsuit.

Most importantly, have fun. I've not done an off-road tri but I'm working on getting there.

2015-10-02 2:31 PM

User image

Shirt will probably be difficult to get on since you're wet.  Try it in advance.  I'd suggest rolling it and your socks.

I'd ditch the snack unless you really need it.

2015-10-02 3:44 PM

User image

Talc in your shoes for quick insertion! And ditch the socks if you can?
For a sprint you probably dont need to fuel. Your body actually uses energy digesting food so it might be detrimental...
2015-10-02 4:39 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I agree you probably won't need a snack for the sprint distance. With my first race I had a bottle of gatorade, but i figured it would be a waste of time, especially since there were fuel stations on the run anyway. Stay hydrated days before the race.
What worked for me was placing things in order. Make sure you practice the transition at home and have your stuff easily accessible.

I now run without socks, but completed three tris with socks and had no problem with putting them on. Shirt I put on me while running out of transition. I just bought those speed-laces for my shoes to save time too.

First race is - in my opinion - a great way to learn what to expect and how to prepare for the next races. I hope you get hooked Have fun! It's gonna be awesome
Mary
2015-10-02 4:53 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

1,  It's a lot faster if you have tri shorts and a tri top on underneath the wetsuit.  You'll waste a lot of time putting a shirt/top on.  I would add clothes in T1 "only" if the air temp was going to be pretty low.

2. You don't need a snack for a sprint.  Maybe some Gatorade in a bottle rather than the water.

3. You need a race belt with your bib number attached.  You'll grab the race belt in T2 before you go out on the run.  Put it on around your waist as you are running out of T2.

2015-10-02 9:06 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Here's a good recent discussion about transitions, including a photo I shared of what it should look like. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Step by step transition advice Rss Feed