Run Fit
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 52s
Overall Rank = 90/147
Age Group = f40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 5:45 to get bfast to church. Ate one of the muffins I made for church on the way. Dropped of bfast and headed to the race site. Made a latte at home and drank that on the way as well. Was a bit concerned about Balloon Fiesta traffic so I went the long way around and had no problems.

Got to the race site at about 7:00 and hit the port a loo then went back to sit in my warm car for a few minutes.
Event warmup:

About 7:50 I got out of the car and put on my bib, watch etc and easy-ran up to the port a loo for one last stop then did some more slow easy running to warm up the legs.

The RD got all of the 10k-ers to the front of the line of the port a loo. Once they were all through we were set to go.
Run
  • 1h 06m 52s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 41s  min/km
Comments:

The race was a blast. We started off for the first 1/4 mile or so on a city street leading to the trail. It gave the crowd a chance to thin out and I love the sound of no voices and just hundreds of feet hitting the pavement.

Once we turned on to the trail it was a bit of a conga line (re: PPA) as it was close to single track with no room to pass. I think it was ok though, there didn't seem to be much jostling.

The trail went up n down, through sand and rocks and over bridges. It was a perfect cloudy morning and there is no place else I'd have rather been.

I stopped at the first aid station to take in some water and another racer who'd stopped asked the volunteer how far we were in to the race. He told her 2.5 and I told her my watch showed 2.1. Not a big difference to the volunteer but it sure is to the racer!

Taking off from the first aid station it was more technical, I cruised through in line with a couple younger ladies. Once it widened out again I passed them on the next big hill. It started to really climb at about the 3 mile mark. At one point I could see the racers on the switchbacks above me so I knew I had a bunch more climbing to go.

After the climb was done it was go time. I just opened up and let the legs and gravity get me down as fast as possible. I passed several guys but one in particular told me he was going to try to stick with me.

As we got to the last mile we were on the same course with the 5k. They'd started right after we did so the people still on the course were the BOP. It was fun to encourage them as I ran by (still flying because it was still downhill). At one point I passed two 5k-ers right before a short but steep technical section. I went down that section fast enough that it raised my adrenaline level a bit but my footing was dead on. As I continued one of the 5k-ers asked the other if she'd seen me do that. :)

Toward the last half mile or so it levelled out and I lost that guy who'd been trying to stay with me. There was a short bit on the sidewalk then under the finish arch.

What. A. Blast.

This race was in an open space in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains so on a sunny day this could turn in to a bake the brain fest. Just FYI for future years.
What would you do differently?:

Abso-frickin-lutely nothing. I'm still building up for Moab but am happy with my time and my progress on trail runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a snack bar and headed back to the car because I had to get home and clean up for church.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still working on speed but I can tell that my running consistency is paying off.

Event comments:

The course was a blast! Run Fit does several races in the ABQ area each year as fundraisers for their program to get kids running. Run Fit does a great race. This was a course in the open space with trails going every which way but they had great markings and volunteers to direct. I never had an issue with course finding.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:52 | 10 kms | 06m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 90/147
Performance: Good
HR max 180 HR ave 164 mile 1 - 10:04 mile 2 - 12:01 mile 3 - 10:58 mile 4 - 13.27 mile 5 - 8:47 mile 6 - 9:27 mile 7 - 8:06
Course: up n down n around the Piedra Lisa open space The elevation map on the race web site showed mostly up for 3 miles then mostly down for 3 miles. My elevation graph looks like mostly up for the first 4.25 miles, with a big climb from 3 to 4, then a bunch of steep down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-05 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Sandia Mountain Shadows Trail Run

2015-10-05 3:26 PM
in reply to: #5144872

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Sandia Mountain Shadows Trail Run

You are turning into quite the agile, speedy mountain goat!  This says it all: "...and there is no place else I'd have rather been. "  Big, big congrats and keep up the good work and enjoy the heck outta those trails!

2015-10-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What a beautiful venue!  It sounds like a blast!  You go!

2015-10-09 4:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job on the race.  That elevation profile looked brutal but the scenary was stunning.  Great time for that much elevation.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandia Mountain Shadows Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile)

Started by billgeist
Views: 1255 Posts: 2

2008-05-19 1:14 PM zsela

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs

Started by chile7473
Views: 5055 Posts: 13

2008-05-22 11:41 AM PirateGirl

Sandia Mountain Snowshoe Race

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 1036 Posts: 1

2008-01-26 10:30 PM Pilgrim

Xterra Boney Mountain Trail Run

Started by mixie
Views: 1744 Posts: 8

2008-01-17 11:34 AM Mesteren

Paris Mountain Trail Run

Started by dcwade
Views: 871 Posts: 1

2005-11-12 6:07 PM dcwade
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.