Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 35s
Overall Rank = 18/75
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

GOt up, ate my oatmeal, a bagel with PB and drove to the race site
Event warmup:

none. ROde about 100 yards just to get in the right gear. Water was too cold to swim
Swim
  • 39m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. Water was COLD at first, but was feeling good within a couple of minutes. I started in the back of the wave, and within 250 m, I found some clear water, relaxed, and settled in. Sighting was pretty good the whole way. Didn't have any issues with other swimmers. I stayed back behind most of the group until the first turn, then it was pretty wide open. I was hoping for a swim time of under 30 min, so I'm hoping the course was very long, as I was 5th overall in the swim, so at least everyone was slower than expected. Never pushed it, and felt really good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

This was slow. had a time getting wetsuit off. Was unsure how warm it would be, and decided to go with base layer tank and Gabba jersey. It took a few extra seconds to get the long sleeve jersey on, though. I wanted to make sure that I had everything ready for a 3 hr ride, so I didn't rush it.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 57m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I got out of transition, I realized that my computer wasn't working. I had taken my time in T1 and didn't want to waste any more time stopping to fix it. I really think it worked out very well, as it forced me to ride by feel, and not try to push too hard to maintain a certain pace. Took it easy on the hills, and rode comfortably hard almost the whole way. Felt good coming back in, getting ready for T2. Ate 1/2 Clif bar every ~40 min, and drank 1 bottle of gatorade each hour.

nothing. I was pretty pleased with the ride. Certainly couldn've pushed harder, but wanted to save something for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

This was better than T1. Again, took it relatively easy to make sure I had appropriate nutrition

nothing
Run
  • 1h 53m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well. I just wanted to finish feeling stronger than my other half IMs. Took it out nice and easy, stopped to pee at the first stop, and then tried to settle in. Walked ~25yds at each stop to drink. Took gels at mile 4,8, 11. There were constant rolling hills, nothing too big. I did have to speed walk a couple of them on the way back in the last lap, though. I was pretty pleased with how I felt. Second lap was only 3 min slower than the first, and I could've kept going longer -but not really any faster.

nothign
Post race
Warm down:

jumped back in the lake to rinse off and got in the car to drive home. No time to even grab a snack or anything.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Great smaller 1/2 IM. Only ~100 racers. Very organized and tons of volunteer help. Nice to have 2 bottle exchanges on the bike and 14 stops on the run. Nice long sleeve t shirt, socks, and a hat for swag. Weather had been calling for rain all weekend, which scared some people away, but it ended up being sunny and breezy, but a great temp. This is my 3 1/2 IM, and the first one that I felt good about. I never pushed it, and finished feeling strong and that I feel I can do a full IM now.

Last updated: 2015-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 5/75
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: 2 loop rectangle - did NOT get out of water between laps
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:06 | 56 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 25/75
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: T shape course. ~7 mile out that was one big climb up and then back down. It was the hilliest stretch. Then a 10.5 mile stretch of smooth, pretty flat highway. One direction was straight downwind which was fun, but then back into the wind on the way back. DId this out and back section twice, adn then back in the 7 mile hilly segment
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:53:14 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-06 11:55 AM

Subject: Atomic Man Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Atomic Man Triathlon

Started by erinrockrun
Views: 1179 Posts: 1

2013-10-01 3:44 PM erinrockrun

Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by crusty
Views: 1560 Posts: 2

2007-09-26 11:40 AM doublej

Started by doublej
Views: 1763 Posts: 3

2007-09-26 6:40 PM southwestmba

Started by crusty
Views: 5557 Posts: 5

2006-09-30 6:05 PM snikpos

Started by doublej
Views: 1947 Posts: 3

2007-03-02 9:52 AM ejudson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : May 30, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 5
All you have to do is say you’re a triathlete and you intimidate the whole world. No matter how much you bench press or what you lift or how many squats you can do.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 0
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.