General Discussion Triathlon Talk » which training program to use? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-07 4:05 AM

Subject: which training program to use?
hi,
I have been doing 6days a week run on the treadmill at slow pace (7kmh) for 7months (Dec 2014-July2015). This was mainly to lose weight and I lost 13kg in about 4months and maintained weight since then. Weight is 70.8kg now, height 1.73m with BMI of 24.

From Aug2015, I started with weekly schedule (either 2x run, 1x ride or 2x ride, 1x run) :
- ride on gym bike (1hour, 22kmh, 90rpm)
- run on treadmill (1hour, 7kmh)

Starting Sept2015, I added swim into the weekly schedule 1x swim , 1x bike, 1x run
- swim in 25m pool (typically, 1 hour freestyle TI drills, at overswitch, not full swim yet)
- no open water experience yet

Starting Oct2015, I added body weight tabata circuits into my schedule, so it is now:
swim, circuit, bike, circuit, run, circuit, rest.

I have been trying to add 10% increments weekly to my training plan however, I wanted a more structured training plan. so, I have browsed quite a few training programs here but I am having a tough time picking a training program to prepare for a tri sprint in March 2016 and an Oly in July 2016. Most programs start with shorter run, bike, swim durations and I am not sure if I should follow the program - feels as if I am going to lose my built up volume.

May experienced folks kindly help me out on how to adapt some training plans with my current level.

Thanks in advance.

2015-10-07 4:25 AM
in reply to: alanchiuyk

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: which training program to use?
Welcome to BT!Any of this site's beginner's plans will work for you. You won't lose fitness. You'll gain it. Instead of looking at how much training you do in one session (duration) , think of how much training you do in a week (volume). Effective training plans train each discipline more times per week (frequency) than you're currently doing for more weekly volume. At only 1x per week frequency, it's very difficult to gain fitness after a few weeks of starting from a sedentary lifestyle.
2015-10-07 11:41 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

thanks for your perspective. helps me understand it better.
It looks like something like this might help me get started already:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

since I am still 5months away from my first mini (March 2016) and 9months away from my first Oly (July 2016), if I were to start on the 20wk plan now, would you suggest that I just keep repeating the 20wk training plan? Thanks.
2015-10-08 6:23 AM
in reply to: alanchiuyk

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
my first formal tri plan was that one - the 2x Oly which I did over the winter. It was good but having only 2 sessions per sport was a bit of a limiter in my opinion. With that said you are still fairly far out from your events so I would tackle that plan then move up to the 3X Oly plan in prep for your oly race. There are also 16 week version of each plan I believe so you might have to plan it out so the plans line up to your races.
2015-10-11 9:21 PM
in reply to: DaveL

thanks. I started on this plan today. First day there is swim and bike but if I am not wrong, I can split them up into morning and evening sessions instead of back to back. Does the sequence matter, swim in morning then bike in evening versus the other way around?
Also, I live in a city, riding on the road on the weekday in the morning or evening can be dangerous, so, I have to hop on the gym bike, hope this doesn't reduce the effectiveness of the training too much?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

2016-01-09 3:23 AM
in reply to: #5145165

i am now at 11th week of the 20wk Oly balanced 2x swim 2x Bike 2x Run.
feeling pretty good. Long runs are 70mins at 7mins per km. Long swims are 70mins at 3:00 per 100m speed and long rides are 141mins at 25kmh.

speed wise, am slow. at this halfway point of the training, i have been tempted over multiple occasions to embark on speed work in the short sessions. however, i have also heard, in the first year, just focus on building volume. thoughts?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » which training program to use? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Base training to training program

Started by lamarvenoy
Views: 884 Posts: 6

2012-02-08 12:55 AM beebs

HIM Training BT Training Program

Started by ddahms
Views: 907 Posts: 5

2012-01-30 11:06 AM ddahms

Anyone used the Ben Greenfield IM training program

Started by Livestrong191
Views: 5961 Posts: 13

2011-05-12 8:34 AM Livestrong191

Who is doing a first Marathon this Fall-What program are you using

Started by davidson3
Views: 1332 Posts: 10

2009-06-03 12:28 PM redfoot31415

Training Program Question - Brick Training?

Started by Celly
Views: 918 Posts: 5

2007-04-01 6:52 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.
date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.