General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside of leg pain while cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-07 10:59 AM

Subject: Outside of leg pain while cycling
Hi All,

I just wanted to see if anyone has had something similar that they could recommend a preventative idea or two.

I have just started in the past month trying to establish a base line of fitness to make my first attempt at a sprint and hopefully olympic triathlon in 2016. However, recently on my bike rides of about 10 - 14 miles, I experience pain the next day on the outside of my knee going down into my calf. It feels like it may be a tendon. Sometimes it is in both legs and sometimes just one. I'm not sure if this is just a sore muscle or if I am doing something incorrect that will lead to an injury. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I don't have clip in pedals, I just have pedals with cages on them. That may be the problem, but I'm trying my best to keep costs down at the moment.

Thanks again!
-Josh

2015-10-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: joshmod

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Outside of leg pain while cycling

Peroneal tendon perhaps?  Where does it hurt?  If the pain is radiating from the attachment point at your fibula then going down the side of your lower leg, that might be the tendon that's bothering you.

2015-10-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: joshmod

Subject: RE: Outside of leg pain while cycling
So I wound up asking my doctor about this at my annual physical and he said that is the tendons on the outside of my knees. He didn't see anything that looked like impending doom, and that it is probably caused by my increased cycling load and my tendons needing to catch up to my quads. He related it to tennis elbow, such as when someone hasn't played all winter then they get out and play for 3 1/2 hours and then their elbows are sore. His advice was ice and if the pain is a bit too much then to do some anti-inflammatory meds (ibuprofen) about an hour before rides to see if that makes a difference. I think I will avoid the meds, but ice has been my friend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside of leg pain while cycling Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pain below calf on outside and bottom of leg

Started by fungi32
Views: 3012 Posts: 4

2010-05-26 9:32 AM roch1009

Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg

Started by swmrgrl
Views: 3960 Posts: 7

2009-10-05 8:46 PM merlin2375

Burning pain outside of lower leg

Started by Millco
Views: 9130 Posts: 6

2008-10-27 8:03 PM Millco

outside right foot pain

Started by leftd
Views: 1480 Posts: 5

2006-12-11 6:38 PM AdventureBear

Outside ankle pain

Started by sauna66
Views: 751 Posts: 2

2005-09-09 1:13 AM Downunderman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : March 19, 2009
After riding my bike sometimes I will develop a very sharp intense pain in the first joint of my pointer finger. It seems to happen randomly and it lasts for anywhere from several minutes to an hour.

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.