BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by popsracer

As much as I absolutely hate running on a treadmill, I am considering one for Xmas.  I do not mind the cold, rain, and wind because I can just dress accordingly but I am beginning to struggle with running in the dark.  Even though I have a very powerful headlamp, it is getting harder for me to see irregularities on running surfaces at night.  I felt like I was feeling my way along last night and I didn't like it.  I am torn because I know I would only use it part of the year.  So wondering if I should just tough it out through the Winter or give in.  Has anyone found the treadmill to be enjoyable or at least tolerable over time?

This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g

2015-11-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
I want to take a moment and share the reflection of the Thanksgiving holiday and what it means for me.

I am not from US, so technically, this should not be part of my culture. On the other hand, it is very accurate to every immigrant or whoever found the safe haven here, in US.
I remember when I was in high school, I was lying on the couch and watching TV news. Bunch of political craziness that made everyone living in my country super sick and depressed. And the worst part was – you could have done nothingggg to make your life easier/better (it was years before European Union opened their doors for us.) I remember I was thinking how great it would be to just move to another country, like US or something, where I could live normal, decent life. I remember feeling so depressed by the fact I would never be able to move to another country, and that I would be stick with this awful reality that was feeding us every single damn day…

Few years later, I was able to fly to US. I was able to stay here and live my life. I was able to find great people, have great job, have family, live the decent life I always wanted (I am not too demanding. Given where I came from – all I wanted was DECENT life, no fancy shmancy crazy stuff.)
Every year on Thanksgiving, I think how thankful I am. I know what those pilgrims felt when they sat down with Indians and had their “thank you” dinner. Even though Thanksgiving is not my culture’s holiday, it is MY holiday.

Also, if I were not here, I would probably not have got into triathlon, so just another reason to be thankful
Mary G

Edited by marysia83 2015-11-24 4:07 PM
2015-11-24 4:07 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

As much as I absolutely hate running on a treadmill, I am considering one for Xmas.  I do not mind the cold, rain, and wind because I can just dress accordingly but I am beginning to struggle with running in the dark.  Even though I have a very powerful headlamp, it is getting harder for me to see irregularities on running surfaces at night.  I felt like I was feeling my way along last night and I didn't like it.  I am torn because I know I would only use it part of the year.  So wondering if I should just tough it out through the Winter or give in.  Has anyone found the treadmill to be enjoyable or at least tolerable over time?

I once bought a treadmill. I can only tolerate it for 4 minutes. I think my record on it was 10 minutes.
Mary G
2015-11-24 4:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I bought one in January and felt largely the same - a bit torn on how much I'd use it. I ended up pulling the trigger on one during an after Christmas sale at Dick's (you might wait till just after Christmas for sales - or Cyber Monday?). Now, I REALLY like the option of just heading down to the basement in my shorts and not bundling up or risking a fall on snow or ice. I also have liked it as an option when, for example, the electrician was working on something and I had to be in the home - I was able to get a workout in in an otherwise lost hour. And I'll definitely be using it for rehab once I can walk normally again.

And - update on my broken leg - went to the doc today and I have at least 3 more weeks to be in the boot and on crutches. . Sunday was the 6 week mark which was the magical "minimum time" to be non weight bearing. I was halfway hoping to be able to ditch the crutches today, so I'm kind of disappointed. Trying to put things in perspective but honestly I'm still upset about the whole thing. I'll get there, but today's news didn't help.

2015-11-24 4:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

I have. I can usually figure out how to get through more mundane things though. Posted a few of the tips I do a few days back When Tom brought up running on one. I can see well enough in the dark for most things when running easy, but winter traffic and ice spots made things a bit risky. If you're only using it for part of the year then it should last some more years.

2015-11-24 4:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

And - update on my broken leg - went to the doc today and I have at least 3 more weeks to be in the boot and on crutches. . Sunday was the 6 week mark which was the magical "minimum time" to be non weight bearing. I was halfway hoping to be able to ditch the crutches today, so I'm kind of disappointed. Trying to put things in perspective but honestly I'm still upset about the whole thing. I'll get there, but today's news didn't help.

I am so sorry the progress is slow :/

Edited by marysia83 2015-11-24 4:26 PM

2015-11-24 4:26 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by lisac957

I bought one in January and felt largely the same - a bit torn on how much I'd use it. I ended up pulling the trigger on one during an after Christmas sale at Dick's (you might wait till just after Christmas for sales - or Cyber Monday?). Now, I REALLY like the option of just heading down to the basement in my shorts and not bundling up or risking a fall on snow or ice. I also have liked it as an option when, for example, the electrician was working on something and I had to be in the home - I was able to get a workout in in an otherwise lost hour. And I'll definitely be using it for rehab once I can walk normally again.

3 weeks is a long time when you're in the middle of it, but not so bad when you take a step back. You'll get there. In a similar situation with at least that much time left using this sling full time. Find out more tomorrow.

The rehab work is a good point too. I've usually made substantially better progress on a treadmill than outside when coming back.

2015-11-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 I want to take a moment and share the reflection of the Thanksgiving holiday and what it means for me. I am not from US, so technically, this should not be part of my culture. On the other hand, it is very accurate to every immigrant or whoever found the safe haven here, in US. I remember when I was in high school, I was lying on the couch and watching TV news. Bunch of political craziness that made everyone living in my country super sick and depressed. And the worst part was – you could have done nothingggg to make your life easier/better (it was years before European Union opened their doors for us.) I remember I was thinking how great it would be to just move to another country, like US or something, where I could live normal, decent life. I remember feeling so depressed by the fact I would never be able to move to another country, and that I would be stick with this awful reality that was feeding us every single damn day… Few years later, I was able to fly to US. I was able to stay here and live my life. I was able to find great people, have great job, have family, live the decent life I always wanted (I am not too demanding. Given where I came from – all I wanted was DECENT life, no fancy shmancy crazy stuff.) Every year on Thanksgiving, I think how thankful I am. I know what those pilgrims felt when they sat down with Indians and had their “thank you” dinner. Even though Thanksgiving is not my culture’s holiday, it is MY holiday. Also, if I were not here, I would probably not have got into triathlon, so just another reason to be thankful Mary G

Mary,  thank you for sharing your story with us.  I think we sometimes forget just how lucky we are to live in the U.S. (or I guess Canada, Australia and Wales too )  I'm happy you made it!!

2015-11-24 10:11 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by marysia83 I want to take a moment and share the reflection of the Thanksgiving holiday and what it means for me. I am not from US, so technically, this should not be part of my culture. On the other hand, it is very accurate to every immigrant or whoever found the safe haven here, in US. I remember when I was in high school, I was lying on the couch and watching TV news. Bunch of political craziness that made everyone living in my country super sick and depressed. And the worst part was – you could have done nothingggg to make your life easier/better (it was years before European Union opened their doors for us.) I remember I was thinking how great it would be to just move to another country, like US or something, where I could live normal, decent life. I remember feeling so depressed by the fact I would never be able to move to another country, and that I would be stick with this awful reality that was feeding us every single damn day… Few years later, I was able to fly to US. I was able to stay here and live my life. I was able to find great people, have great job, have family, live the decent life I always wanted (I am not too demanding. Given where I came from – all I wanted was DECENT life, no fancy shmancy crazy stuff.) Every year on Thanksgiving, I think how thankful I am. I know what those pilgrims felt when they sat down with Indians and had their “thank you” dinner. Even though Thanksgiving is not my culture’s holiday, it is MY holiday. Also, if I were not here, I would probably not have got into triathlon, so just another reason to be thankful Mary G

I loved reading this Mary.  You have a great perspective and outlook on life.

2015-11-24 10:15 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Hang in there Lisa.  Hopefully the next few weeks will go quickly.

2015-11-25 3:27 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I haven't started the build yet Mary. I've been aquiring the parts and making some of the tools, like the nipple driver (snerk).
I've got the hub, rim and correct sized spokes. Got a dishing tool, but haven't got a truing stand yet. I know I can get by using my forks but want to make sure I get it spot on at my 1st attempt, don't want to introduce errors before I start. I suppose I could start lacing it ready for truing.

Edit: change squirming to aquiring

Edited by Richardsdrr 2015-11-25 3:28 AM

2015-11-25 7:29 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not in the market for much right now (new/additional running tights, dog toys, replacement RoadID...) but I thought that this might be of interest to some

Black Friday stuff

Power2Max - http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/black-friday-sale/

HED Jet - https://www.racycles.com/wheels/hed/hed-jet-69-clincher-wheelset-8527

RoadID - http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx

2015-11-25 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

{{hugs}}

Thank you for sharing this and thank you for being here. 

2015-11-25 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ack!  Sorry that your bones didn't put themselves on the fast track for healing. Ah well, by Christmas for sure, right?

If you are like me, you'll be upset until you can get back to training.  I was an emotional wreck and, as my coach pointed out, the post Ironman depression and the when will this ever end stuff coincided.  We need our endorphins! Hang in there though!  We are in your corner!

2015-11-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

3 weeks is a long time when you're in the middle of it, but not so bad when you take a step back. You'll get there. In a similar situation with at least that much time left using this sling full time. Find out more tomorrow.

The rehab work is a good point too. I've usually made substantially better progress on a treadmill than outside when coming back.

I know that Ann-Marie and I can both empathize with the sling situation.  :-(  I hope that you are doing well!

2015-11-25 9:08 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I haven't started the build yet Mary. I've been aquiring the parts and making some of the tools, like the nipple driver (snerk).
I've got the hub, rim and correct sized spokes. Got a dishing tool, but haven't got a truing stand yet. I know I can get by using my forks but want to make sure I get it spot on at my 1st attempt, don't want to introduce errors before I start. I suppose I could start lacing it ready for truing.

Edit: change squirming to aquiring

Sounds like a cool project!
Mary G

2015-11-25 9:10 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you all for kind words
Speaking of Thanksgiving and food - this year will be my first attempt to do some serious cooking. In the past I did the sides, cranberry, all that fancy stuff. This time I am making turkey... Well, not the whole bird, just the breast. And OMG that breast is so HUGE!! I almost bought two, but when the lady showed me how big it was I changed my mind immediately... That's gonna be fun
Mary G
2015-11-25 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you all for kind words Speaking of Thanksgiving and food - this year will be my first attempt to do some serious cooking. In the past I did the sides, cranberry, all that fancy stuff. This time I am making turkey... Well, not the whole bird, just the breast. And OMG that breast is so HUGE!! I almost bought two, but when the lady showed me how big it was I changed my mind immediately... That's gonna be fun Mary G

I strongly suggest brining the bird, beginning tonight. Makes it soooo moist. Yum.

I think I've mentioned that my work partner is from Hungary. Her story is much like yours. She knew that in the old country there was no chance to change her situation or her life so as a young twenty-something she moved here and never looked back.  She visits the old country every few years and it always serves as a reminder of why she came here. Her stories amaze me. We as Americans are so blessed to be born here.

2015-11-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you all for kind words Speaking of Thanksgiving and food - this year will be my first attempt to do some serious cooking. In the past I did the sides, cranberry, all that fancy stuff. This time I am making turkey... Well, not the whole bird, just the breast. And OMG that breast is so HUGE!! I almost bought two, but when the lady showed me how big it was I changed my mind immediately... That's gonna be fun Mary G

I strongly suggest brining the bird, beginning tonight. Makes it soooo moist. Yum.

I think I've mentioned that my work partner is from Hungary. Her story is much like yours. She knew that in the old country there was no chance to change her situation or her life so as a young twenty-something she moved here and never looked back.  She visits the old country every few years and it always serves as a reminder of why she came here. Her stories amaze me. We as Americans are so blessed to be born here.

Thanks TJ. I will be marinating the meat tonight, and baking it tomorrow morning. We shall see... My friends are making chicken, so there is a back-up plan.

I know what your friend feels. I go sentimental once in a while, but once I visit my country I get the reality check slap on my head, and I happily come back. Thankfully, my kids will not have to go through this
Mary G
2015-11-25 9:28 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g

That could work for Stacey too!

2015-11-25 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83

Thanks TJ. I will be marinating the meat tonight, and baking it tomorrow morning. We shall see... My friends are making chicken, so there is a back-up plan. I know what your friend feels. I go sentimental once in a while, but once I visit my country I get the reality check slap on my head, and I happily come back. Thankfully, my kids will not have to go through this Mary G

At the risk of turning this in to a PCOJ thread...  whenever the topic of immigration comes up I think of my friend, and her brother who can't come here.  To add to that, I live in a state that borders Mexico so I see the immigration issue from a hands on, day to day experience, but also from a professional one.

2015-11-25 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks TJ. I will be marinating the meat tonight, and baking it tomorrow morning. We shall see... My friends are making chicken, so there is a back-up plan. I know what your friend feels. I go sentimental once in a while, but once I visit my country I get the reality check slap on my head, and I happily come back. Thankfully, my kids will not have to go through this Mary G

At the risk of turning this in to a PCOJ thread...  whenever the topic of immigration comes up I think of my friend, and her brother who can't come here.  To add to that, I live in a state that borders Mexico so I see the immigration issue from a hands on, day to day experience, but also from a professional one.

Pretty much everyone was an immigrant at one point.  My mother's parents came here as children.  My grandmother was born in Italy and moved here as a small child (most of her siblings were born in Wisconsin).  My grandfather was born in Germany and game here as a small child.  My father's family has been in the country longer.  Kevin's family had the last name Kaiser until it was helpfully changed to Kizer upon immigration.

2015-11-25 9:41 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Pretty much everyone was an immigrant at one point.  My mother's parents came here as children.  My grandmother was born in Italy and moved here as a small child (most of her siblings were born in Wisconsin).  My grandfather was born in Germany and game here as a small child.  My father's family has been in the country longer.  Kevin's family had the last name Kaiser until it was helpfully changed to Kizer upon immigration.

DH's paternal grandfather was born in Poland, the rest of his side has been here a while.

My family has been here a while but Momma's O'Reilly was changed to Riley when they got here (like that was fooling anyone). Dad's Kilgore was changed to Collins.

2015-11-25 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

DH's paternal grandfather was born in Poland, the rest of his side has been here a while.

My family has been here a while but Momma's O'Reilly was changed to Riley when they got here (like that was fooling anyone). Dad's Kilgore was changed to Collins.

My favorite name change was one generation changing from Kowalski to Kowski and the next generation changing from Kowski to Smythe -- because Kowski was too difficult to spell! 

2015-11-25 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

ok, I understand when the immigration people do "silly" little changes to names like Kaiser to Kizer, but how did that get Collins from Kilgore?! Unless your family changed it themselves.

My father immigrated from Ireland and, surprisingly, the Delahunty name stayed in tact!!  Mom's family also came from Ireland, but mom was born here. And, once again, no mangling of the Maloney name! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 53979 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66411 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27875 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11798 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66167 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.