General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No more Crystal Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-10 7:21 AM

Subject: No more Crystal Lake Triathlon
That's too bad. It was nice to have this well run event so close to me.

http://www.nwherald.com/2015/10/08/illinois-triathlon-championship-...

2015-10-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: jetmech737

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: RE: No more Crystal Lake Triathlon
That’s too bad, but I am not surprised. I did the oly distance both years. Some observations:

1. The venue is top notch. Crystal clear water, the run was contained within the park (although it was a trail run, not my favorite) and plenty of free parking.
2. The bike course was just OK. I don’t mind multiple loops so much but the first year with the no passing zone was ridiculous. This year’s course was better. Quite a few turns within each 5 mile loop, so it was hard to push the pace. They really do not have any good options here. Most of the good biking routes are to the north and west and would need to traverse several major roads.
3. The race is run on the same dates as Big Foot and Pleasant Prairie. Those are more established races. Crystal Lake could use a local oly race and I saw in the article that they wanted to move to September, probably to compete directly against Tri Rock Lake Geneva.
4. I cannot believe they got the OK to close Rakow Road. While necessary to hold the race, that probably made a lot of people mad.
5. They did seem a bit more unorganized this year. The first year I was impressed with both the participant and volunteer turnout.
2015-10-15 4:56 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

Subject: RE: No more Crystal Lake Triathlon
This was the first triathlon I ever did so I overlooked or didn't notice/care about the short commings. True, the venue is great and the run not so much, but otherwise it was certainly worth doing.

Perhaps they can take over management of the Lake in the Hills triathlon, which from what I gather, nearly didn't happen this year.
And the bike course is on many of the same roads I normally ride on. Home field advantage for me!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No more Crystal Lake Triathlon Rss Feed