Cuesta College track and field and cross country teams
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m
Overall Rank = 137/1617
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/65
Pre-race routine:

I love being able to show up to a run with the bib and the chip already on. I woke up at 5:15 for the 7:00am gun. I parked at one of the parking structures on Palm by 7:30...
Event warmup:

...and trotted around soaking up some of the vibe with such a big crowd.
Run
  • 1h 41m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My strategy was to run at a 7:30 pace half way, then increase the power for a reverse split on the second half. It was easy to hold my pace (at 7:31!) until we turned toward Avila, but my mile splits slowed with every hill despite the extra effort.

Like always, places like the Bob Jones that I was familiar with seemed fast and easy.

It was a great vibe, with some nifty moments. I got a surprise high five from K-Man Keith at a water station on the way out of town, and got to cheer for a pair who I paced with for the first half who easily beat their 1:45 goal.

The breakfast was super with fruit, baked treats like banana bread, and nummy eggs, bacon and sausage. Coffee! OJ! Lots of various re-hydration options. Eternal Timing was excellent as usual, and had the results up immediately. I felt lucky that the Silverado bus had me back in SLO by 9:30.

In part because it wasn't a hot day, it worked well not slowing for any of the water/gu stations. My prep was a double coffee in the car after a PB and honey for breakfast, and I ate one fig bar for a little extra fuel.

I ran solidly compared to the people I paced with, and tended to do well passing a few up and down hills and making time on corners.

I was in good shape today, treated this like a hard training run, and don't think I'll need to recover for my next regular run.

Oh, and I went with Skechers Ultras today since they rocked in a 5k last year. I was worried since something in my rotation gave me blisters on both big toes this week, but the Ultras were perfect. They could easily have worked for twice the distance.

And finally, training and tapering. I ran 32 miles last week, no runs Fri/Sat, and an easy 50 mile ride yesterday. This was a lot more running miles than the week before my only previous HM, and it felt perfect. It feels like this should fit right into regular training w/o a pause.

Here are the AG results.
Post race
Warm down:

A couple of high-fives, then meandering to the breakfast line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who knows? I feel good, and had a solid race. My volume has been fine at about 50mpw, so maybe a little more tempo work on top of my 6 mile treadmill runs?

Event comments:

*Very* well organized race. There wasn't a hitch.

Last updated: 2015-10-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/65
Overall: 137/1617
Performance: Good
Course: SLO to Pismo, down Marsh to Higuera with a loop toward Avila and the Bo Jones Trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-11 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: City to the Sea Half Marathon

2015-10-13 6:30 PM
in reply to: #5146014

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: City to the Sea Half Marathon

Sounds like you had a great run! I did pretty well myself however I felt the heat of the morning when I hit Shell Beach, granted my time was ~25 minutes slower than yours.

2015-10-13 11:46 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: City to the Sea Half Marathon
Dude! Great race! Yeah, those hills on the back half made the day a lot warmer.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City to the Sea Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

City to the Sea Half Marathon

Started by MOlsen
Views: 976 Posts: 1

2014-10-14 3:54 PM MOlsen

Started by MOlsen
Views: 956 Posts: 1

2013-10-14 12:43 PM MOlsen

Started by drw94
Views: 916 Posts: 1

2012-10-14 11:25 PM drw94

Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Started by jaysinz
Views: 930 Posts: 1

2012-10-01 3:38 PM jaysinz

Mad City Marathon - Half Marathon

Started by run131
Views: 1721 Posts: 4

2006-05-30 4:01 PM pbarbato
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.