2015-10-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Subject: RE: Do you do flip turns ?
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by ChrisM
All I will say is watch swimmers that are good, and do what they do]

Pee in the pool like Ryan Lochte and smoke a joint like Phelps ?

There are two types of swimmers; those that pee in the pool, and those that lie about not peeing in the pool.

Funny.. I've always said that about people that wear wetsuits...

Oh, and I always do flip turns (except some drill sets when I'm move super slow). Which is funny, because I refused to do them in high school practice.

2015-10-14 4:13 PM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tjones2k9
Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM All I will say is watch swimmers that are good, and do what they do]
Pee in the pool like Ryan Lochte and smoke a joint like Phelps ?
There are two types of swimmers; those that pee in the pool, and those that lie about not peeing in the pool.
Funny.. I've always said that about people that wear wetsuits... Oh, and I always do flip turns (except some drill sets when I'm move super slow). Which is funny, because I refused to do them in high school practice.

And, that didn't get you hit in the head with a pull buoy or everyone in your lane told to re-start the set?? 

2015-10-14 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by coreyasaur

Never learned to do them, get water up my nose when I try.

I figure I'll never do a flip turn in an OWS, so no loss...

I had the same problem and figured out how to fix it:
Problem: I started to exhale (through the nose) at the moment I started the flip. So by the time I was "upside down" I was already done with exhaling, meaning - water easily entered my nose.
Solution: the moment I started the flip I was just focusing on what was going on and started exhaling just a nano-second before i was about to be "upside down". This way the air from my nose "attacked" the oncoming water and absolutely not even a drop came to my nose.

I hope this explanation makes sense. It worked awesome for me, I truly hope you will find a way to do it too
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-10-14 4:43 PM
2015-10-14 6:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Sarasota, Florida
True story. I exhale during the flip and don't have a problem. The only reason I do them sometimes is because one side of my pool is only 3 feet deep and that scares me while flipping.
2015-10-15 8:04 AM
in reply to: runtim23

, Tennessee
Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful. I think I will keep doing them and try to get better at them. Not sure I can pull it off on the bike though.
2015-10-16 9:15 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by martymo When I first learned to swim at the young age of 30, my teacher insisted that I learn flip turns because she said it would keep me more focused and help me build endurance. I keep doing them because I feel like I lose so much momentum when I do an open turn. Is it possible I never learned open turns properly? For that matter, is "open turn" the right term for coming up for a breath and pushing off the wall?

Yes, they're called open turns.  It does sound like you're never learned to do a good open turn.  Done well, they're only a few tenths of a second slower than a flip turn.  Stay low in the water, touch the wall, drop your shoulder away from the wall as you flip your feet towards the wall, then push off hard in a tight streamline as you do in a flip turn.  There's no hanging on the wall or taking multiple breaths.  There isn't time for that.

Here's a good video of open turns with Rebecca Soni doing breast stroke, but it's similar if you're doing front crawl:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6-HmQtMkw

Thanks! You're absolutely right...I never learned them. As soon as I could swim more than one length my teacher had me start working on flip turns. I might practice some open turns for those occasions when I'm afraid of crashing into my lane partner!

2015-10-17 7:09 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Only when I'm swimming TI and I don't have a CrossFit class later in the day.

2015-10-17 7:41 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Is it worth learning them for someone who has a lot of technique issues to work on? In other words, if I spend the time learning to do flip turns, is the time that I would lose where I could work on technique going to be worth the training advantage gained by not losing momentum once I get the flip turn down?
2015-10-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by b2run Is it worth learning them for someone who has a lot of technique issues to work on? In other words, if I spend the time learning to do flip turns, is the time that I would lose where I could work on technique going to be worth the training advantage gained by not losing momentum once I get the flip turn down?

If you are working on technique, you still have to turn around at the wall somehow.  just make them (or some of them) flip turns.  There is no need to spend any significant time just learning how to flip.  At most you spend a few minutes the first time doing flips in the middle of the pool to get used to the motion.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do flip turns ? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Water in ears from doing flip turns Pages: 1 2

Started by Caroleena
Views: 5899 Posts: 33

2015-10-24 8:31 PM brigby1

should i worry about kick turns?

Started by surfbum7
Views: 1326 Posts: 11

2011-08-09 8:29 AM KiminON

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2095 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

indoor tri - training and kick turns?

Started by alex jb
Views: 909 Posts: 8

2009-10-03 7:59 AM axteraa

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2014
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
There are many bicyclists out there who struggle through turns - slowing unnecessarily and being uncomfortable. Learn how to turn properly when riding your bicycle.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"