General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total cost for Team USA? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-14 6:47 PM

User image

Subject: Total cost for Team USA?
So what's the total cost to join Team USA? I qualified for a worlds slot for a long course (odd distance of 2.5m swim, 70m bike, and 19m run) but am trying to total everything up for fees + uniforms. 95% sure I'm going to do it but the fact that my worst sport (swimming) is super long compared to my best (bike), I'll just need to really lower my expectations. That and swim my butt off until the race with none of this swim 1-2 times/week stuff anymore.

2015-10-14 7:48 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Total cost for Team USA?

The entry fee will likely be $350-$500 and the race kit is about $250 if I remember right.  The team hotel will be expensive as well.  The year we took Jr. to Edmonton to race we skipped the team hotel, parade (so we didn't need to buy that gear), team dinner, blah,blah,blah.  Still, with airfare, meals, hotel, race fee, car rental, uniform, etc. it was a pretty good bill.  We made it a family trip and stayed a few days up there, but it would have been a bit over $2000.00 to just send him I would guess.

dmiller from this board went alone....he'll probably chime in.

2015-10-15 4:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Blastman
So what's the total cost to join Team USA? I qualified for a worlds slot for a long course (odd distance of 2.5m swim, 70m bike, and 19m run) but am trying to total everything up for fees + uniforms. 95% sure I'm going to do it but the fact that my worst sport (swimming) is super long compared to my best (bike), I'll just need to really lower my expectations. That and swim my butt off until the race with none of this swim 1-2 times/week stuff anymore.

I was with team Canada in Chicago and we get ripped off on entry fee+admin+uniform ($600us). I have heard team USA is a bit cheaper. Entry fees were ridiculous. I think we paid something like $380 for the ITU race and the "open" race was half.

Hotel and airfaire to Chicago was $1500 (don't forget bike fees) + meals. No need for rental car in Chicago

Worth it ? IMO no. The upside is I got to see Gomez and friends race. Cool. There were lots of events to spectate. Often LC worlds is kind of on it's own. There were many thousands of people at the short course event. I have heard LC is much lower key. I met Bob Babbitt, Emma Snowsill, Barry Shepley, Jan Frodeno's coach, Mario Mola and a bunch of other cool people. I think it was cooler as a spectator than the race itself.

Long course ? No way. The elite race is not the top guys in the world. You will get one or two but not a stacked field. Same for the athletes. The top guys are chasing a Kona spots rather than an ITU world champion title. This is second hand info from friends that did it.

The distance is interesting but something you will never be able to compare yourself again. I do think it's a good "intro to IM though". Also a good motivator to step your swim up, so there is that.

I thought hard about it and forfeited a spot twice for LC, although the distances to travel were much greater. It would have been $4k or more. If there was no travel costs yes, if travel costs, no (for me) . I would put the same money towards a 70.3 or IM race any day of the week. A 70.3 race will be less expensive, an IM about the same and they are easier to use to compare to previous performances.

A few friends did it but they did it as an "intro to IM" since the distance is between 70.3 and IM.

Very much a personal opinion.

Edited by marcag 2015-10-15 4:28 AM
2015-10-15 7:48 AM
in reply to: Blastman

Master
Northern IL

I'm guessing this is for 2016 LC Worlds, which is based out of the Redman course in Oklahoma.

The "odd" distance is known as a triple Oly. 4k swim, 120k bike, 30k run. More balanced than IM splits.

2015-10-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

At least for me, it's "only" an 8 hour drive, so that would save on some costs. It's the same course I did Redman at, so I know it will be a nice mostly flat course. I don't care about staying at their hotel. I pretty much decided to stop doing full IMs unless I have somewhat of a shot at Kona, which pretty much means never. This race would be just got and giggles but I also plan to do 2-3 HIMs next year as well, so my season won't just center around this. Trying to decide cost vs other things. If I ever have kids (god forbid!) it would be a cool thing to say I did something like this but I'm a little concerned on all the extra fees added for 0 value gained.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total cost for Team USA? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Team USA Clothes

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1200 Posts: 15

2014-01-22 1:13 AM simpsonbo

Team USA China Congratulations! Pages: 1 2

Started by cornick
Views: 2253 Posts: 30

2013-11-20 9:20 PM hotalinge

Team USA

Started by The Sloth
Views: 658 Posts: 2

2013-07-21 8:46 PM paxsarah

USAT: Team USA NZ

Started by husse23
Views: 1315 Posts: 10

2012-10-15 9:26 PM michgirlsk

DFL good enough to get me a spot on Team USA

Started by ellismichael
Views: 1261 Posts: 10

2007-09-27 11:37 AM PirateGirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.