General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2014 Kestrel Talon as first bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-16 12:31 PM

Subject: 2014 Kestrel Talon as first bike?
I am wanting to get into Sprint Triathlons and feel that I have done just enough research to get myself into trouble. I do not own a bike but have been running road races and I am a strong swimmer. I have read about getting a road bike first but I have a few reasons not to. I do not want to ride with other people. Exercising is my therapy and I prefer to do it alone. Since I do not have a bike, I thought starting on a Tri Bike would get me used to the Aero position and I would never know anything different. I want to start riding to and from work which is about 15 miles one way. It will be some road but mostly utilizing the greenway that runs across Knoxville, TN. So this is the bike I have been considering: 2014 Kestrel Talon Triathlon. It is selling for $1499.95 and I have done some looking and this seems to be a few hundred dollars high. When looking at the comparisons, it looks like this particular one has a lot of upgrades and it may be a good price after all. I have been thinking about a used bike from a local shop but I feel you have to be educated, patient, and lucky. Here are some of the specs for the bike:

Frame - Blend of 700K & 800K High Modulus Carbon Fiber
Fork - EMS Pro SL Aero, Full Carbon
Crankset - Shimano Ultegra 50/34T
Bottom Bracket - Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur - Shimano Ultegra 11
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Ultegra 11
Shifters - Shimano Dura Ace SL-BSR1 Bar End TT shifters, 22-sp
Cassette - Shimano Ultegra 11-32T
Chain - Shimano Ultegra 11
Wheelset - Mavic Aksium
Tires - Mavic Aksion 700 x 23c
Brake Set - Shimano Ultegra 11
Brake Levers - Oval Concepts 701
Handlebar - Oval Concepts 350
Bull Horns - Oval Concepts 750
Stem - Oval Concepts 313
Saddle - Oval Concepts 500
Seat Post - Kestrel EMS Pro Carbon

I thought it might be a good purchase because it has upgraded to the Ultegra from the 105 with a weak point being the Mavic wheelset? I don't even know if I'm using the right terminology here, but could certainly use some guidance. Is this bike worth it or should I work on the patience and luck and wait for used?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Edited by Roooftop 2015-10-16 12:55 PM

2015-10-16 4:18 PM
in reply to: Roooftop

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: RE: 2014 Kestrel Talon as first bike?
I bought the same bike (stock version) last year as my starter triathlon bike. Previously I had done 2 triathlons - 1 on a mountain bike and 1 on an old road bike I borrowed. The Kestral Talon seems to be a good bike. I am sure more expensive bikes would be better and faster but I have no experience to compare to. I can comfortably ride the Talon at 20-22 mph on flats for an extended period of time. My only complaints are the shifting is a little imprecise. It takes some fiddling to get it into gear. The elbow pads are also not the most comfortable. I will probably upgrade them both in the near future. I have enough miles that I will need to replace the tires before next season so I will probably upgrade to something better there as well.

I am a long leg / short torso 6'2 so I bought the 60cm Talon. My current setup has the bars at the lowest possible position and the seat near the lower end. I could easily get by with the 58cm frame. I think there is more upward adjustability than there is downward.
2015-10-16 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I have a 2012 Talon as my first quality bike and was very happy with it. I rode it for two years and finished two half IMs and one full IM with it. I upgraded to a different bike only because the LBS fit me to the Talon even though it was a size smaller than what I needed. It's a very good bike and I would bet you'd be happy with it.

If you're looking at Bikes Direct, I had a friend order a bike from them and had a good experience. Most of the reviews I've read about BD have been favorable. Also, I don't think Mavic's are a weak point, they're pretty good wheels. Good luck!
2015-10-16 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nothing wrong with that bike, as long as it fits right!

If you're going to be using it to commute though, I would probably not use a tri bike, being in aero position isn't great for a to work commute unless you've got some roads with very little in the way of lights, wide shoulders etc.

My first bike was a triathlon bike, but eventually I got a road bike too, and if I'm not time trialing ( weekly ) , doing triathlon, or doing a key long session, I'm on my road bike, mostly for a safety standpoint, better handling, slightly more visible etc.

And I have been hit on my tri bike, it was nasty, so I may be biased. :p
2015-10-16 11:58 PM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I hate to be a party-pooper, but....

You mentioned that you'd be mostly commuting on a bike 'path'?   The often 'careless' nature of other cyclist who ride on bike paths shouldn't be under stressed. The riders visibility on a tri bike is pretty limited and your hands will be away from the brake levers   You, head down, in full aero tuck, ripping along at 18-22 mph on a bike path full of kids and casual riders is a recipe for an accident.  

And I'm also NOT a fan of mail order bikes.  Give the LBS a chance to match the on-line offer.  Or at least recognize that unless you can do your own wrenching; you're gonna have that bike in an LBS within a month or so to get it re-tuned.   And as a some-time employee of an LBS, I can tell you that customers who buy their bikes from us get preferred treatment when they have repairs to be made.  just my .02

Regardless of your decision.  Welcome and Good Luck!

2015-10-19 7:36 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

Thanks for the input guys. I went to a few LBS yesterday and I finally found the fit that I was looking for. It was on a Cannondale Synapse 56cm. I have decided to do a road bike because of the commuting aspect and I probably won't do my first sprint tri until April. I had tried a Trek, Giant, and a couple of others and when I sat on the Cannondale I knew that was it. I didn't expect to have an "ah ha" moment like that but it just fit me well, even without any adjustments. They had a 2015 model that is going on sale this weekend so I should get 15% off. Before I get it, would you guys have any suggestions as to other brands to look at before pulling the trigger? I like to do my homework on this side of the purchase as opposed to after I buy. Thanks again for the responses, they were a big help.

2015-10-19 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Roooftop Thanks for the input guys. I went to a few LBS yesterday and I finally found the fit that I was looking for. It was on a Cannondale Synapse 56cm. I have decided to do a road bike because of the commuting aspect and I probably won't do my first sprint tri until April. I had tried a Trek, Giant, and a couple of others and when I sat on the Cannondale I knew that was it. I didn't expect to have an "ah ha" moment like that but it just fit me well, even without any adjustments. They had a 2015 model that is going on sale this weekend so I should get 15% off. Before I get it, would you guys have any suggestions as to other brands to look at before pulling the trigger? I like to do my homework on this side of the purchase as opposed to after I buy. Thanks again for the responses, they were a big help.

I love it when customers have an "Ah ha" moment.  THAT is the soul of the bike talking to you.  It's not at all about the components on a bike; they all work nearly perfectly.  It's the frame, the 'feel' of the bike underneath you.  How does it look hanging in the garage?  THOSE are what I look for in a bike. 

Sounds like you found a bike.  Call around and tell the other LBS you're comparing a 'Dale to their bikes-let them point you in the right direction.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Synapse has a slightly relaxed geometry, correct.  Is so, you'd compare it to the Specialized Roubaix.  Keep in mind that these 'endurance/comfort road' bikes are not QUITE as receptive to clamp on aero bars as are some of the more traditional geometry bikes.  But the difference is so minor you likely won't notice.  Good Luck.

2015-10-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

I know your thoughts are trending away from the Kestrel but I thought i would throw this in for any others considering a Talon. I am a late onset (59 years old when I started, now 60) fitness freak / triathlete who used to be a mountain biking animal and consequently have never owned a road bike. I did a sprint tri last year at which the bike leg was on mountain bikes. I am hooked, and am signed up for a HIM next June.

I bought a Kestrel Talon a few months ago from a LBS with the premiere bike fitter in the area. I bought the road version with 105 components and it was $1,460 not including pedals. I bought a set of clip on aero bars and I am glad I have the bike set up that way instead of as a tri bike. I do too much city riding to be comfortable in a tuck position all the time.

I am very happy with the Kestrel bike and think that the Talon, at $1,500 or less is a real deal in a carbon fiber bike. It seems to be quality built and the guy I bought it from, who sells very high end tri bikes in a tri-crazy market (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho), says it is a very popular seller for him due to this price and quality relationship.

I've been doing 15-20 mile rides regularly and did a 38 mile Fondo ride a few weeks ago on the Talon. Love this thing.
2015-10-19 11:36 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Roooftop

Thanks for the input guys. I went to a few LBS yesterday and I finally found the fit that I was looking for. It was on a Cannondale Synapse 56cm. I have decided to do a road bike because of the commuting aspect and I probably won't do my first sprint tri until April. I had tried a Trek, Giant, and a couple of others and when I sat on the Cannondale I knew that was it. I didn't expect to have an "ah ha" moment like that but it just fit me well, even without any adjustments. They had a 2015 model that is going on sale this weekend so I should get 15% off. Before I get it, would you guys have any suggestions as to other brands to look at before pulling the trigger? I like to do my homework on this side of the purchase as opposed to after I buy. Thanks again for the responses, they were a big help.

Yes the AH HA moment tends to happen when people actually ride different bikes to find the "right one".

Careful riding the MU trails, keep you speed in check when doing it. If you communting to work there are all the logistics to worry about: clean cloths, shoes, taking a lunch, showering, or cleaning up, locking the bike up,....

I commute sometimes, and used to ride with a backpack. It's doable but it changes your center of gravity, so I would not suggest it to a new rider. I now use paniers on the bike which are great, but your talking about another Franklin or two to get set up. Another option is leaving stuff at work the day before so you don't have to take anything on the bike.

Good luck
2015-10-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: mike761

So after doing more reading I have contacted the LBS with Cannondales and they have a CAAD10 with 105 in my size. I'm going to go after work today to try it out. I'm thinking that it might get me closer to that aggressive position that I am looking for while still providing most of the comfort that the Synapse would. I'm also going to take one of them for a couple days this weekend as an extended demo and try to put in some miles. After reading about the differences between the CAAD10 and the Synapse, it's good to have a LBS where they will work with me and let me try different things. Doing this through an online retailer would be a nightmare mostly because I am so ignorant about my needs and fit. Maybe for my 3rd or 4th bike I could do that, probably not wise for my first one. Plus it will come with $5 tune ups for life of the frame and a free fit on purchase. I can't wait to start training. I really hope the CAAD10 is what I expect it to be.
2015-10-22 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The CAAD10 is a better bike than the Talon by far…

Had a Talon as one of my first bikes and quite frankly, it's a major compromise. Not a good road bike and not a good tri bike; basically will do either, but neither well. Also, the ride is muted to the point where it feels slightly dead.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2014 Kestrel Talon as first bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice on my first tri bike -Talon, Gc aero or felt S22

Started by joelcrad3
Views: 1864 Posts: 4

2013-01-01 9:48 PM japarker24

Kestrel Talon on Bikes Direct for $1399

Started by CraigT
Views: 2505 Posts: 10

2012-02-03 11:15 AM cstoulil

Kestrel Talon SRAM Red vs Kestrel Talon SL TRI

Started by TOGAF16
Views: 5790 Posts: 9

2010-06-23 1:29 AM Pacific John

2006 Tri Bike Decision: Felt B2 or Kestrel Talon SL

Started by golferpimp1
Views: 1823 Posts: 1

2009-01-31 9:19 PM golferpimp1

First bike ride...First bike problem...

Started by seanaq64
Views: 1090 Posts: 4

2004-02-29 8:49 PM wrybosome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.