General Discussion Race Reports! » Mazda Lycra & Lace Women’s Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mazda Lycra & Lace Women’s Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Petersburg, Florida
United States
Florida Race Place Magazine
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 44s
Overall Rank = 113/364
Age Group = W45
Age Group Rank = 16/47
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:30 after having slept sporadically. Had a cup of coffee around 5:30, then set up at transition. Wandered around for a little while, then waited until just before transition was closing to take off my jacket because the air felt pretty chilly. Waited by the water for my wave (last one) to start, and had a Hammer gel.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 05m 50s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

very shallow water - you could see women in other waves getting up and walking, and my hands actually hit the bottom. Nice and warm and pretty much flat, with only a couple of easy rolling waves. I could stand up as soon as I rounded the last buoy. Felt great to be swimming in the gulf - I was very happy.
What would you do differently?:

actually press the "start" button on my watch.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

good enough. About what I expected. The rack was a little crowded. I was happy that I didn't use socks. Feet went right into shoes.

I want to start practicing having the shoes already in the pedals and hope it makes me go faster.
Bike
  • 36m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

So much wind! From the NE about 20 mph. First mile was pretty easy, but then the headwind hit until the turnaround around mile 4.5, then it was awesome with the tailwind until we turned a corner around mile 7, then we had more wind again. Less of a tailwind coming back. I passed several people on the bike, including some from earlier waves. Felt good and probably could have gone longer. My average speed was what I anticipated without the wind, given what I've been doing in training, so I was really happy with my speed considering the wind. Still middle of the pack, which is better than usual.

Train better for wind. My offseason is going to be bike focused.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition time wasn't measured - don't know if it falls in the bike leg or the run leg. A little delayed because someone else had racked her bike in my spot and I tried to figure out if there was still room for mine, and then I thought my helmet had rolled over to someone else's spot but it was just one that looked like mine.

Just put everything away and go.
Run
  • 27m 9s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 26s  min/km
Comments:

nice easy run, felt good the whole way. Tried to catch a woman in my age group who I had been just behind on the bike, but she sped up. Still passed several other women in my age group and a few others. Achilles felt good the whole time, too.

Keep training, maybe do some more speedwork and bricks. But this felt really good, especially considering how long it's been.
Post race
Warm down:

waited with a friend who had already finished and cheered for others near the finish, then watched our other friend cross the finish line. Some calf and achilles stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having done a triathlon in three years :) Also, lack of sleep.

Event comments:

Great race - only women racing, but with all male volunteers as "cabana boys." Beautiful and fast course. Nice tri top for early registrants, although they were running small. Fun atmosphere. Great for all levels.

Last updated: 2015-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:50 | 440 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 0/364
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: out a few yards, then horizontal to shore for a long time. Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:27 | 10 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/47
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: out and back loop, with the return a little past the transition area and back again. Beautiful view of the Sunshine Skyway at the first turnaround. Nice and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:09 | 05 kms | 05m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 14/47
Course: out and back on a wide sidewalk/trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-19 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: Mazda Lycra & Lace Women’s Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mazda Lycra & Lace Women’s Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mazda London Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by pbooth2912
Views: 924 Posts: 1

2010-10-17 12:41 PM pbooth2912

Mazda London Triathlon

Started by bushmaster1
Views: 1113 Posts: 1

2009-08-25 6:04 AM bushmaster1

Mazda London Triathlon

Started by tri-or-die
Views: 702 Posts: 1

2008-08-16 10:34 AM tri-or-die

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - San Diego (Triathlon - Super Sprint)

Started by newbiedana
Views: 1842 Posts: 6

2007-10-30 4:01 PM milaminute

Subaru U.S. Women's Triathlon Series - St. Petersburg - SuperSprint Triathlon

Started by BunnyRunner
Views: 1166 Posts: 3

2006-06-14 10:07 AM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : September 10, 2007
author : tripastor
comments : 2
Triathlon serves up many humbling moments. The most humbling of days came not during a race day but by email. I had been invited to participate in the Rambling Rose Women’s Only Triathlon. Wow.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.